Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old December 4, 2010   #1
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Default Aphids on TPS seedlings

I have a tray started with 6 of the OP TPS seeds from Tom Tater's Sampler, Mystery from Medbury Gardens and Potato Dance that I got from Svalli. Well I got the brilliant idea to overwinter some peppers in the same room and now I have aphids. I am actually mad that my seedlings got infected since I started them in early October and some are up to the 2nd set of true leaves. Basically 3 of them are all the seed I had so I need to try to save them. I sprayed them with horticultural oil and removed the affected peppers out. This weekend I tried neem oil+phyrethins. Do I have a chance to win?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1298.JPG (228.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1299.JPG (191.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1300.JPG (186.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1303-1.JPG (163.1 KB, 12 views)
Old December 5, 2010   #2
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Hope that works Wendy,horrible little bugs.

I'm having a bad season for them outside in my garden,the ladybird numbers are building up so they should be gone soon,had none on the spuds though
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2010   #3
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

If you have some wood ash, dust the buggers with it. In a few minutes you can just brush/blow the dead critters off.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2010   #4
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

That's worth knowing thanks
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2010   #5
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

thanks, will look into that too
Old December 5, 2010   #6
Ken
Tomatovillian™

I have always had good luck mixing a little Dish soap with water and spraying them.It has worked everytime for me.
Hope it helps
Ken
Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2010   #7
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I tried soap+water and did reduced it but within few days I had more aphids, applied a second time and few plants started to wilt and dropleaves badly. I tried neem oil +phyrethins, 2nd day still no more aphids, but the affected plants were moved away from my potato seedlings. I sure hope to save the seedlings, the radishes seedlings and other greens are doing badly now...I crossing fingers for the tps to make it.
Old December 5, 2010   #8
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

I have been using the wood ash technique (substituting BBQ ash when I didn't have a fireplace/wood stove) since I read about it in "Organic Gardening" in the early '70s. I have had near 100% success with it. You may need to reapply in a day or two as the new swarm arrives/hatches. If you are diligent in your treatment, you will get them before they lay their eggs...no sense breeding your own, but new ones will fly in from miles around...they love fresh/tender new growth.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2010   #9
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry to hear that Wendy. I was also tempted to start some TPS to get tiny tubers for next spring, but I have thrips in my indoor peppers.

This year I did not get aphids indoor with the overwintering peppers, because I pruned everything and sprayed with pyrethrins before bringing indoors. I have had some of the peppers indoors all the time over two years now and those plants have been ravaged by thrips, which the pyrerethrins do not kill totally.
Old December 7, 2010   #10
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Well I have it under control now, got all the infected plants out of that room and spray them. I can afford to have any in that room since it is the seedling starting area. I sprayed everything with neem oil+pyrethins this weekend and daily inspections doesn't show much activity. I have some ornamental plants in the house that will be quarantined in a second separate room because they don't show any problems but it better to be sure. This weekend I will sterilize the room and I am sure a second round of neem+phyretin will take care of it.

I have 3 potato dance seedlings germinating they germinated really fast!