Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old May 6, 2014   #61
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by epsilon View Post
Yup Just hot peppers

I was reminded that I have family that actually eat those things for pleasure. And I like to share what I grow. Also I really like jalapeno jelly's, so I figured that a pure hot pepper recipe shouldn't be to far of a stretch. And I remember that you are the food/canning master of T-ville so I figured you would be the person to ask

Gaston
I made habanero gold with only habaneros, no bell
peppers. It was kind of spicy but even hot pepper wimps loved it.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2014   #62
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

My friend in class today told me her hubby made habanero gold. I need to check that out if it isn't atomic blast hot.
Old May 7, 2014   #63
coronabarb

Jalapeno Jelly

12 oz jalapeño peppers (about 12 med)
2 cups cider vinegar, divided
6 cups sugar
2 3-oz pouches of Liquid Pectin
5 (8 oz) half pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

2.) PURÉE peppers in food processor or blender with 1 cup cider vinegar until smooth. Do not strain purée.

3.) COMBINE purée with remaining 1 cup cider vinegar and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

4.) ADD Liquid Pectin, immediately squeezing entire contents from pouches. Continue to boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; skim foam if necessary.

5.) LADLE hot jelly into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band until fit is fingertip tight.

6.) PROCESS in a boiling water canner for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
Old September 30, 2014   #64
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have wondered if someone could turn my way-too-hot tabasco peppers into something sweet? I want to grow many Tabasco plants as ornamentals because they are beautiful, but the peppers are way hotter than what we like.

You guys got any ideas?
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2014   #65
coronabarb

I tried the Habanero Gold jelly my friend made and it was delicious...not too hot but a spicy kick. Is that something you are looking for?