Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old May 10, 2016   #76
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakedIn View Post
Keeping the peppers whole is a natural trick to keep them crispy. After washing, just put them in the jar, fill with whatever brine and then water bath. I cut the recommended water bath time back to maybe 5 minutes tops.
Exactly what I do and it works good! Nice and crunchy! I do poke the peppers so the liquid gets inside. I try various recipes as far as ingredients. They change, do I want them sweet pickled? Or spiced with unusual spices? etc. Someone mentioned to me black currant leaves give a fantastic taste. I'm going to try that next time. I always though prep the way described above, always. I just opened a year old jar, seal was fine, the peppers were still awesome! As long as the pH is below 4.2 they can't develop anything, they are in vinegar. You can't can any safer, the solution itself will kill any bacteria. I always add vinegar or lemon or lime to canning to make sure pH is low. I add lime to tomato sauce. Just to make sure it's low.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2018   #77
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Suggestions for this harvest -

I closed out the season and picked my peppers last night now I’m looking for suggestions of what to do with them. They’re mostly mutts that volunteered from last years ornamentals and jalapeños .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2018   #78
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Made sweet hot pepper relish for the first time this year with my "leftover" peppers.
Its very good, most of it disappears on crackers with a little cream cheese.
Enjoy it much more than I thought, and more folks enjoy it than i ever would have believed.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2018   #79
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I also use the "cold pack" method. Jalapenos... Straight 5% white vinegar and a tsp of sea salt per quart....Keep em in the fridge...crisp and flavorful! I love em with chili or nachos or on burgers....20180721_201909.jpg

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018   #80
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

They look terrific! Thanks for sharing.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12, 2018   #81
Lastfling
Tomatovillian™

Thanks ! I decided to try fermenting them. The jalapeños I did turned out great, so I made a brine and now have another jar of jalapeños and a jar of the mutts underway though I suspect the mutts may be to hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lastfling is offline   Reply With Quote