Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old May 24, 2019   #541
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
strawberry jams and preserves along with sugared strawberries in the refrigerator to make their own liquid today...and man it's hot!!!!
Sounds like you're well on your way to some serious production!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2019   #542
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

It won't be long till green bean canning for us. We planted Tenderettes & Blue Lake bush beans this year and they look fantastic. Fingers crossed...
Old June 16, 2019   #543
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
It won't be long till green bean canning for us. We planted Tenderettes & Blue Lake bush beans this year and they look fantastic. Fingers crossed...

Happy canning and good harvest.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2019   #544
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Blueberry jams, preserves,and bags in the freezer this week along with the same for blackberries as well as the comment from a friend who dropped by when we were preserving of "I never know what music I'm going to hear when I'm here(maroon 5's sugar was playing)!"
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2019   #545
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Yesterday morning and again this morning, I picked Blue Lake Green Beans and right now the Pressure Canner is running on all cylinders. First 9 pints about to come out and the next run is all ready to go in. Looks like I'll get about 40 or so pints with the first picking done. I'll put up a picture as soon as I can get time. More later. This year's crop is very pretty. Gorgeous beans without defects. Once in a while, we get the better side of this operation.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2019   #546
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

We ended up with 39 quarts. Very little waste this year. The bean crop was outstanding & most of them were blemish free. Should be able to get a few more jars in a week or so.
Old July 1, 2019   #547
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
We ended up with 39 quarts. Very little waste this year. The bean crop was outstanding & most of them were blemish free. Should be able to get a few more jars in a week or so.
WOW! Congrats on the booming crop!

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old July 1, 2019   #548
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Here the promised pictures. We got 43 pints from the first picking. There are hundreds and hundreds of blooms and an army of bumblebees working their little stingers off. These were picked and canned with sterile water and 1/2 teaspoon of canning salt in each pint jar. Been doing it this forever and haven't had one go bad. Of course, most of them don't last long enough to go bad. Used our pressure canner and did 15 minutes at 11 to 13 psi. Then the pressure was raised and we did 16 to 17 psi for 5 minutes. Then the heat was simply turned off and the canner allowed to cool. Each cycle of 9 pints took roughly 2 hours. We take our time with this process.

At eating time, they go into a saucepan with a small piece of pork fat or some butter or chopped up bacon, and then slow cooked for about two hours so that the meat flavors can spread out.

The best part of this is that we will get at least two more pickings from this one row of beans and we will can some more. We will also make our neighbors happy with fresh Blue Lake Green Beans for them to cook their way. Next picking is scheduled for this coming Friday if they are ready by that time.

DSCF0003.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 1, 2019   #549
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
Here the promised pictures. We got 43 pints from the first picking. There are hundreds and hundreds of blooms and an army of bumblebees working their little stingers off. These were picked and canned with sterile water and 1/2 teaspoon of canning salt in each pint jar. Been doing it this forever and haven't had one go bad. Of course, most of them don't last long enough to go bad. Used our pressure canner and did 15 minutes at 11 to 13 psi. Then the pressure was raised and we did 16 to 17 psi for 5 minutes. Then the heat was simply turned off and the canner allowed to cool. Each cycle of 9 pints took roughly 2 hours. We take our time with this process.

At eating time, they go into a saucepan with a small piece of pork fat or some butter or chopped up bacon, and then slow cooked for about two hours so that the meat flavors can spread out.

The best part of this is that we will get at least two more pickings from this one row of beans and we will can some more. We will also make our neighbors happy with fresh Blue Lake Green Beans for them to cook their way. Next picking is scheduled for this coming Friday if they are ready by that time.

Attachment 88574

Attachment 88575
Looking great there Ted!

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Old July 1, 2019   #550
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, ma'am. I've sprayed and dusted nothing. These beans are fresh from the seeds, and, I think, are the poster child for organic beans - nothing but water, dirt, and sunshine.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 1, 2019   #551
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Been following this today at work.
The product looks fantastic Ted.
Brings back memories of green bean season.
Old July 1, 2019   #552
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Been following this today at work.
The product looks fantastic Ted.
Brings back memories of green bean season.
Thanks, Worth. So far this year, not one drop of anything on the entire garden. I don't know how long it will last, but it'll be fun to watch. BTW, my Cherokee Purple plant has already delivered two 10 oz beauties.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 2, 2019   #553
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Same thing here guys. Haven't sprayed anything but the tomato (copper) plants & they got rained on the same evening I sprayed. One of those weird years. Onions and beans have turned out great but everything else not so much. Cucumbers are putting out enough for the 2 of us and the squash is dong alright. Tomato plants leave a lot to be desired. Picked out 1st one tonight. Black Sea Man

Last edited by wildcat62; July 2, 2019 at 06:29 PM.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2019   #554
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Looks fantastic Mark.
How did you get my toaster?
Old August 17, 2019   #555
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Well, on Tuesday I picked up 1 bushel of size #3 cucumbers and a 1/2 bushel of size #2 cucumbers. The last jar just pinged. 60 litres of Armenian Garlic Dill Pickles are done - about half are "hot" and half are "mild"

Next on the agenda are the Armenian Tourshi pickles - mixed veggies in a garlic dill brine, pickled hot peppers, Armenian Garlic Dill Eggplant, pickled onions, radishes and carrots.
Then I'll probably go back to jam and jelly making for awhile.

So far this year I've done 132 250ml(1/2 pint) jars and 60 500ml (pint)jars of jams and jellies, and the 60 litres of pickles, 6 litres of homemade liquid pectin, 36 litres of Concord grape juice, and 36 litres of crabapple juice (for jellies).

I better get hopping, I'm way behind. lol

~ Anonymous

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer