Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old July 15, 2013   #46
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Woo hoo! It's a lovely, healthy herb, with lots of omega 3's- I had it some years ago, but lost the battle to little creatures...(aphids)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #47
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i keep looking at it in the garden but have yet to try it. soon.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #48
spacetogrow
Tomatovillian™

I thought the purslane in my garden was particularly succulent this year, but nothing compared to yours, Durgan.
spacetogrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2013   #49
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

It grows as weeds in my garden, and I have only used it as filler in salads. At it's best, if picked early in the morning, it has a bit of a sour lemony tang, at it's worst it just tastes grassy. I will have to try some in soup.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2013   #50
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I usually get ground-hugging mats that I pull when they get to be a foot in diameter, but this year I let them go and I've gotten a couple small "shrubs": just under a foot high and 2-3 ft. diameter. I nibble on it in the garden. In past years it's been more lemony; this year it's quite bland.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16, 2013   #51
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

We have eaten it fresh in the past, but discovered that it is excellent sauteed.
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2013   #52
Rideau Rambler
Tomatovillian™

Since my ability to grow weeds far surpasses my ability to grow tomatoes....do I just add olive oil in a frying pan to sauté it?
Rideau Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013   #53
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
I usually get ground-hugging mats that I pull when they get to be a foot in diameter, but this year I let them go and I've gotten a couple small "shrubs": just under a foot high and 2-3 ft. diameter. I nibble on it in the garden. In past years it's been more lemony; this year it's quite bland.
I get the mats, also.

I've tried to start golden purslane (larger leaves) from seed with no luck. I can't figure that one out.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013   #54
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Is it possible for you to cut off some roots of these plants, and replant them near the originals? I've found elderberries just about the easiest thing to propagate by root cuttings.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013   #55
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
I've tried to start golden purslane (larger leaves) from seed with no luck. I can't figure that one out.
That's what happened when I wanted to grow stinging nettles. I planted seed and nothing came up. I finally got nettles (nettles!!) to grow when someone was offering plants (dig up free!). I planted a few, let them go to seed, and voila! A garden full of nettles forevermore.

One site claims purslane germinates best with soil temps of 90F. Another site says a single plant can put out 240K seeds and that seeds can lie dormant for 5 to 40 years. So if a seed packet has a paltry 5K seeds...
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013   #56
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
Is it possible for you to cut off some roots of these plants, and replant them near the originals? I've found elderberries just about the easiest thing to propagate by root cuttings.
Gary
I know absolutely nothing about propagating elderberry. I pick abundant berries alongside the back roads, since nobody else seems to be interested in them in my area. They are picked the first week of September in my Zone 5.They are superb this year, since there has been sufficient moisture, I expect to can, preserve, around 40 or 50 litres of juice. About two pounds of berries to each litre.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18, 2013   #57
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post
That's what happened when I wanted to grow stinging nettles. I planted seed and nothing came up. I finally got nettles (nettles!!) to grow when someone was offering plants (dig up free!). I planted a few, let them go to seed, and voila! A garden full of nettles forevermore.

One site claims purslane germinates best with soil temps of 90F. Another site says a single plant can put out 240K seeds and that seeds can lie dormant for 5 to 40 years. So if a seed packet has a paltry 5K seeds...
thousands of years after a nuclear war the cockroaches will be eating pursalane.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2013   #58
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Vegetable Juice

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?JXDDN 25 July 2013 Vegetable Juice
Twelve litres of vegetable juice was made from garden produce. Kale, beets, cucumbers,green beans and celery were the main ingredients. The produce was cooked and beat into a slurry and strained then placed in litre jars and pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for long term storage.Pictures depict the process.
Old July 31, 2013   #59
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

The question is how does it taste?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31, 2013   #60
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

All vegetable juice has the same taste. I use no condiments. The criteria is nutrition.

But one could swamp it like all commercial products if desired.