Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 18, 2016   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Not feeling the love for my new Victorio strainer

I bought a new Victorio strainer in the spring, mainly for dealing with grapes, but I thought I would try it for tomatoes.

I grew Costoluto Genovese, hoping to make wonderful sauce, knowing that they are tricky to peel, I trusted that my strainer would take care of them, and put up with the horrible BER that they succumbed to all for the sake of some wonderful sauce.

When there was a glut of tomatoes and I unable to keep up with them, I did as I always do with all the extras, and froze them in 1 gallon freezer bags.

My usual modus operandi is to run each tomato under the tap until the skin splits to remove it, then to leave them in colanders with bowls underneath to collect water as they thawed. This time, I left them in their bags to warm up slowly in a huge cooler.

Today was the day, and the new strainer was washed, dried and assembled. The tomatoes were mostly thawed, and I tried it out. It jammed. I peeled a bag of tomatoes (what a pain). Victorio liked them peeled and gave me no trouble. However, I thought it really should do its job, and I fed it some with peels on. Not too bad, but after a while it jammed. I put it into reverse as the instructions say to do and things wobbled and creaked and juice leaked from where it shouldn't. It got going again and then the unthinkable happened and it exploded! A slight exaggeration, but it does have a very tight spring which sprang .

Major clean-up and re-assembly was needed. A pile more tomatoes were processed before it exploded again necessitating a major kitchen clean-up Grrrrr !

I peeled the few remaining tomatoes and tossed them in the sauce. I think I will go back to my old method because quite frankly it is less exhausting and requires less cleaning.

BTW my strainer seemed particularly bothered with the Costoluto, some of which were rather woody!

I wonder if it will work any better with grapes .....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I equate these types of strainers to the KitchenAid meat grinder attachment.
I know a lot of people here have them but a good motor operated one is by far better.
As fanatical as some folks are about tomatoes and such it has amazed me more folks dont have them.
Even at $10 a month in 5 years a person could save up $600 for a very nice tomato processor.
Even then this is more than a good one costs.

Not trying to insult anyone that has bought them at all.
I just know how many years (34) I messed with a little hand crank meat grinder.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016   #3
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

I've never tried putting thawed/frozen RAW tomatoes in mine. I've always cooked them (unpeeled) first and it works like a charm.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oh Worth! I bought a hand-crank meat grinder to grind chicken bones for da dawgs. I was 15 years younger then and it was exhausting! I splurged on a Tasin meat grinder that will do chicken (and rabbit) bones which has been well worth it.

For tomatoes, it's only once a year......

Linda
Old September 18, 2016   #5
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Patihum,

Interesting! Sounds as if this baby is particular about texture. So you cook the tomatoes, cool them down for the strainer then heat them up again to can them? Sounds like a lot of effort, but it might be worth it if it doesn't jam!

I processed 9 x 1 gallon bags. Not sure what that weighed.

Linda
Old September 18, 2016   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Oh Worth! I bought a hand-crank meat grinder to grind chicken bones for da dawgs. I was 15 years younger then and it was exhausting! I splurged on a Tasin meat grinder that will do chicken (and rabbit) bones which has been well worth it.

For tomatoes, it's only once a year......

Linda
Exactly why I can justify buying one I dont even care for processed tomatoes.
I cant even think of the last time I even ate one fresh or cooked without the addition of peppers outside the garden and even then I will put a fresh pepper and tomato in my mouth at the same time.
Portable instant salsa cruda.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016   #7
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Linda, have you tried a food mill? You cook all your sauce ingredients first, skin on, then ladel it into the food mill. 5 or 6 turns and all the sauce is through, skins left behind. Just pop the disk out, rinse, pop back in, so no clogging. I got a cheap one at Bed Bath, And Beyond, it was around $20. Its been 6 or 7 years, going strong, very easy to assemble and use. The disks go inside with the convex surface facing up and out.

I'll be right back with a photo.

OK, here you go:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (49.9 KB, 303 views)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016   #8
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I have had my Victorio strainer for many years and it works very well, but I do cook the tomatoes first. If I am making juice I don't peel the tomatoes first. I quarter them and through in the pot to cook before processing through the strainer. I have 4 different cones and 2 spirals. If I am making some thing I want more texture, I peel some of the tomatoes and cook before putting through the salsa cone. For the grapes, you need the shorter spiral because the seeds will jam the longer spiral.

If you are thinking about applesauce, it isn't necessary to peel or core the apples before cooking. Makes it so easy.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016   #9
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I have been straining raw tomatoes of all kinds, including Costoluto Genovese, through my Victorio for 10 years and never had a problem - it works like a charm. I just wash , trim, and quarter each raw tomato, drop them in the shoot and crank. I processed almost 700 pounds last year and almost 400 pounds this year.

Are you sure you used the right screw and screen for tomatoes? - not the same as those used for grapes. I can see where the grape screw and screen could build up pressure with tomatoes. Also check to make sure you assembled it correctly.

TomNJVA
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016   #10
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I have an older Victorio that I have used on frozen/thawed tomatoes. If you don't wait until they are completely thawed, it does jam (guess how I know ). It is OK but tends to leak around the gasket sometimes. Would love to have a motor driven one, but can't quite justify the cost.
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016   #11
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

I bought a Victoria two years ago. It is sitting in the corner. I find my manual food mill much more convenient. The Victoria leaked all over the place. I bought the motor attachment which was poorly made and eventually the coupling wore off. I bought a new coupling and haven't used it since. IMO it is as piece of junk. Oh Yes I modified the clamp system to fit on my typical counter top. This was expensive and worked well for what it is worth.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016   #12
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

I wash, core, and quarter maters, then purée in a blender. Pour the pureed contents into a food mill to strain bits of skin and seeds. It's lickity split juice!

I bought a Victorio strainer years ago, it went to the garbage the same year!

Last edited by Hellmanns; September 18, 2016 at 08:49 PM.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2016   #13
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

wow. I love my victorio strainer. I have never had it "explode". I had a squeezo first but I picked up a victorio at Goodwill for a couple bucks. I use it every year.
Old September 19, 2016   #14
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the comments. I've heard that the new Victorio's aren't as good as the old ones, which could be the reason for all the glowing comments, of which there are many, and the reason that I bought one. It's also interesting that some people cook their tomatoes first and find it easier.

Linda
Old September 19, 2016   #15
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I bought a special spiral for the grapes, but used the one that came with the strainer for the tomatoes.

Good to know it will do apples too - for when we have another glut

Linda