Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old December 26, 2016   #1
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Default Hanging tomatoes for storage

I'd like to learn how to tie up storage tomatoes like the pics below. If anyone has ever hung their tomatoes to store and tied them up somehow, I would love to hear how you do it. I'm a little unclear on the best methods and materials to use. My goal is to be able to sell trussed-up tomatoes at fall markets next year, so I need to be able to create an attractive product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg colgar79u.JPG (169.9 KB, 185 views)
File Type: jpg colgarhanging.jpg (235.3 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg decolgartrusses.JPG (96.3 KB, 185 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

At your service.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...ghlight=Ristra
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016   #3
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Looks very cool. Everybody's got tomatoes that time of year, this would stand out.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

When I saw the title, it made me think about the A Grappoli varieties I grew this year. The RKN got them before I got a chance to try hanging them. But I did get to save a lot of seeds.

Those ristras look cool.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
When I saw the title, it made me think about the A Grappoli varieties I grew this year. The RKN got them before I got a chance to try hanging them. But I did get to save a lot of seeds.

Those ristras look cool.
I would like to lay on a bed of cushions and have a beautiful woman hang them over me so I could eat then one at a time.
Another one fanning me with palm fronds with belly dancers and music too.
worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016   #6
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

I grew one type of Tomatiga de Ramallet this year and sliced one yesterday in a sandwich. The plants were productive and the fruit have been keeping OK, although I lost a few to mold growth. A shade better than store-bought at this time of year, but very firm. I'll probably keep searching for a better tasting version. Would be neat to tie them in a string and alternate with strings of garlic!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26, 2016   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Those must be stronger tomato stem attachments than I am used to. I can see it working fine with peppers but to my mind tomatoes separate too easily from their stems to make this work practical
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2016   #8
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
Those must be stronger tomato stem attachments than I am used to. I can see it working fine with peppers but to my mind tomatoes separate too easily from their stems to make this work practical
KarenO
Some of these De Colgar/Ramallet varieties have VERY strong truss stems where they originate on the main stem, and indeed, on the tomato itself. Much stronger than any multiflora I've encountered, in terms of the originating stem.

I'm growing a few plants (Ramallet Algaida and De Colgar 100, both for seed production) under less than ideal conditions (lows in the 40s, highs in the 80s sometimes) and they are doing well.

So perhaps challenging them towards the end of the season is a possibility.

The best tasting one I've tried thus far is De Colgar Papuo, a beautiful PL plant, prolific, putting out salmon colored 1.5-2.5 inch diameter, good fresh but much better after a month or two, especially spreading it on a slice of bread, just as Ilex recommended.

Dutch has a nice pic of a row of them on CRW
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2016   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I recognize those first pictures shown, I'm pretty sure from Ilex in Spain who posts here. I've been getting many varieties from him, and yes, some de colgar ones as well.

Also found in Italy and used when refrigeration was not available,so hung up and remained edible for a very long time.

Commonly known as winter tomatoes.

Carolyn
Old December 27, 2016   #10
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Some of these De Colgar/Ramallet varieties have VERY strong truss stems where they originate on the main stem, and indeed, on the tomato itself. Much stronger than any multiflora I've encountered, in terms of the originating stem.

I'm growing a few plants (Ramallet Algaida and De Colgar 100, both for seed production) under less than ideal conditions (lows in the 40s, highs in the 80s sometimes) and they are doing well.

So perhaps challenging them towards the end of the season is a possibility.

The best tasting one I've tried thus far is De Colgar Papuo, a beautiful PL plant, prolific, putting out salmon colored 1.5-2.5 inch diameter, good fresh but much better after a month or two, especially spreading it on a slice of bread, just as Ilex recommended.

Dutch has a nice pic of a row of them on CRW
Oh cool description! Can I ask where you got your seeds for De Colgar Papuo? It sounds like something I want to try (also trying storage melons this year) and I'm about to order my seeds for the year.

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2016   #11
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissMoustache View Post
Oh cool description! Can I ask where you got your seeds for De Colgar Papuo? It sounds like something I want to try (also trying storage melons this year) and I'm about to order my seeds for the year.
De Colgar Papuo will be available in Carolyn's upcoming seed offer. If she'll permit me, I can probably send you an early bird envelope. Ilex is the one to thank for sharing this Iberian tomato.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #12
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Anyone know what the powdery looking substance is on the tomatoes in the first pic?
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #13
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

Looks like mold to me

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I would guess sand, dirt, or spray residue. They probably store longer if they are not washed.

The pics all came from a google image search. Here are a few more:

These look like they have spray residue on them:

Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #15
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I've been looking at some varieties for storage. Ordered a couple. Might be worth a try.
Years ago i did pull up entire plants and hung in the barn. That was when we had first frosts as early as late August. Not happened in years since, and now first frost is usually mid October. Covering is easy for a light frost.
Some of those look like the grocery varieties i see now. A new one this year, unlike the
Kumato, is Canadian grown and very green/yellow. Large. Ripens slow. I just bought two and one is still firm but turning pink now. Not great but better than most. Seems the Kumato growers are getting lax as they all look old and soft.

Also noticed Kumato is not called that anymore. One grown in Mexico, smaller, the other
grown in Canada, larger like last years, and a cherry, same 'chocolate' color.

Would like a keeper that proves tasty at least holding through the holidays. That seems to be the intent in the pics.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote