Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old August 18, 2017   #31
jillian
Tomatovillian™

I can't read or write , sorry.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #32
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Made some of this here Cowboy Candy. Pretty much the first recipe, except ground mustard because I don't have seeds, and a tsp of my Godawful Hot Mash from the 2013 superhot crop instead of cayenne. Was gonna add a bit of salt but forgot. It took me a while to slice the 'peños because I picked most of the seeds out.

Hint: Don't cover your syrup because it will boil over and make a godawful mess.

There was some syrup leftover and I had a lightbulb moment: This stuff is something like a spiced Triple Sec. So I mixed it with Tequila over ice. Interesting! I can work with this. (And drink it.)

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #33
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
I think I will do this soon, he just posted this recipe. Love the addition of the pineapple.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6rn7hXTwHEM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Sorry clicked on it saw who it was and closed it as fast as I could.

Worth
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
I figured as much......but still looks like a good recipe.
Is he 87 year old seed guy?

EDIT: yES it is.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Is he 87 year old seed guy?

EDIT: yES it is.
Yep.

Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #35
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Made some of this here Cowboy Candy. Pretty much the first recipe, except ground mustard because I don't have seeds, and a tsp of my Godawful Hot Mash from the 2013 superhot crop instead of cayenne. Was gonna add a bit of salt but forgot. It took me a while to slice the 'peños because I picked most of the seeds out.

Hint: Don't cover your syrup because it will boil over and make a godawful mess.

There was some syrup leftover and I had a lightbulb moment: This stuff is something like a spiced Triple Sec. So I mixed it with Tequila over ice. Interesting! I can work with this. (And drink it.)
That sounds like a mighty fine idea to me, how was it? I used all of my leftover syrup up already and it's about time to make more candy. I will do the addition of pineapple this time, thanks to the 87 year old tomato guy
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2017   #36
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Not bad! I have a drink recipe - one of very few mixing tequila - that calls for Creme de Cassis and unfiltered Apple Cider and citrus for acid: very good. I might try a variation on that. There is extra syrup in the can, but I swore I'd let it age for a least a week...

Btw, I have pineapple and will try it when a 8 oz. can makes sense. This batch was small.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote