Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 18, 2019   #211
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Brief garlic update

While cleaning up a bed found another clove of an un-named garlic that had shot, suspect this one is from another parent whose kids go to the same school as mine do. So final tally is 29 varieties of true garlic plus one Russian/elephant garlic
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2019   #212
PlainJane

No worries you would have any problem making chicken with 40 cloves of garlic, lol.
Old June 18, 2019   #213
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Lol. Might even make chicken with 40 globes, if I could find a bird big enough, might have to settle for a turkey.
Old July 10, 2019   #214
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Extatosoma tiaratum

Our youngest's teacher at school decided that she would have some Leafy Stick Insects in the classroom. They lost the adults but the female laid eggs before she died and some of these have hatched. Meet Bingo and Jojo, two young female who we are looking after over the school holidays. Bingo is the older and larger of the two, who are sitting on Cootamundra wattle leaves while we changed over their cage leaves for fresh ones
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0118_resized.JPG (110.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0093_resized.JPG (69.6 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0105_resized.JPG (68.6 KB, 98 views)
Old July 10, 2019   #215
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Awesome!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019   #216
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Amazing looking creatures.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019   #217
bower
Tomatovillian™

Oh wow. If I saw those in my pile of leaves I'd think I was hallucinating!
Whwoz I have totally lost track of your garlic season, just saw your update. Are you on the planting or the harvest end of it now?
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019   #218
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

I love the photos, incredible.
Thanks Whoz for sharing.

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2019   #219
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Oh wow. If I saw those in my pile of leaves I'd think I was hallucinating!
Whwoz I have totally lost track of your garlic season, just saw your update. Are you on the planting or the harvest end of it now?
Still at the growing stage. All in and up, last varieties were planted around the end of May, probably 2 or 3 months off harvesting the first, which will be Monaro Purple. Harvested these and the Italian Stripe, which were the only two varieties deliberately planted last season when we planted the tomatoes last year, early November, which was later than it should have been for MP as about half had side shot.
Old July 10, 2019   #220
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

forgot to mention that we cut the second of the round squash from the butternut patch last night, as expected very similar to the first one, with flesh about 1.5 inches deep. Have kept seeds of both. Suspect maybe a chance cross between Waltham and what is known as Kent or JAP (Just another pumpkin) down here going by the colour on the ones at the Folks
Old July 13, 2019   #221
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Saffron Update

For those whom are curious:

Plants are now all well up, final tally I believe to be 61 out of 63 planted. The first lot are the largest, with leaves upto 1 foot long and in some cases upto 5 or 6 clusters of leaves per corm planted. Not sure how this will translate into multiplication, but expecting to recover around 200 corms from the 3 pots and 4 boxes they are in.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0145_resized.JPG (134.2 KB, 70 views)
Old July 13, 2019   #222
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Default Garlic

An update on the garlic for comparison for those of you who grow it up north.

The first photo is of the two plants of Monaro Purple that arose from broken off cloves, they were moved into there current position from the bed next to this one and continue to do well.

the next is a mix of turbans in a raised bed 2 foot deep, the top 4 inches under the mulch are straight compost, the balance subsoil.

The third photo is the balance of the Monaro Purple that was planted after we returned from Tasmania, doing well but still behind the missed plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_0139_resized.JPG (147.2 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0140_resized.JPG (139.2 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_0141_resized.JPG (87.5 KB, 69 views)
Old July 13, 2019   #223
bower
Tomatovillian™

Doing very nicely, Whoz. Those turbans are quite early I hear. We are a month or more from harvest here, so actually we are ahead of you. Too funny, this is our consolation for barely being started when our friends down south US are done and cured.. We're just ahead of the Southern Hemisphere.
Those saffron are looking lovely as well in the middle of your winter. You're going to have a field of them! (Which is great because they don't produce a lot per plant.) Well worth it.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2019   #224
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bower, we are probably 3 months off starting to harvest the turbans, with the other varieties to follow, taking us up to Christmas roughly. The Saffron are certainly doing well, I very interested in seeing how well they multiply. Have a spot picked out where I can set up a bed just for them.
Old July 28, 2019   #225
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Started Sowing seed today as well, 36 varieties sown, more to come when I get more space on the heat mat.

Barry’s Crazy Cherry
Bloody Butcher
Blue Ambrosia
Blueberries
Brad's Black Heart
Carbon
Cherokee Golden
Chocolate Stripes
Costuloto Genovese ‘Sal Valente’
Dr Wyche’s Yellow
Duncan’s Egg
Dwarf LAY
Dwarf Orange Grosse Lisse
Earliana
Early Wonder
Gold Mini Roma
Grubs Mystery Green
Heidi
Japanese Black trifele
Jersey Devil
KARMA Pink
King of Siberia
Lithium Sunset
Malakhitovaya Shkatulka
Old Ivory Egg
Orange Strawberry
Pink Berkley Tie Dye
Pink Thai Egg
Red Mini Roma
Rosella Purple
Tasmanian Chocolate
Trout Cod F5
Wes
White Zebra
Yellow Pear
Yellow Striped Roman

The Blue Ambrosia, Yellow Pear and Pink Thai Egg are from our trip to Tasmania earlier this year.

Trout Cod F5 or is it F6, not sure, is a spin off from the Dwarf Project, grew some Beauty cross plants several years ago, really liked a couple of them and grew some more out last year. One was a dwarf that ripened one fruit while we were in Tasmania (plant went in late), so not 100% sure what it was really like.

Dwarf LAY and Dwarf Orange Grosse Lisse are plants from commercial plants that I kept seed from and turned out to have a dwarf growth habit last year. Very nice yellow-Orange fruit on both.

Duncan's Egg is seed from McSee, from his version of Duncans from last year.

Gold Mini Roma is seed from a punnet of Gold Mini Roma's or perhaps they should be called grapes

20 plus seeds of most were sown, most will head to the Yarragon Spring Clean as part of the Yarragon Primary Schools fundraising efforts