Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 21, 2018   #16
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

pmc, you add fish to your pickles and wb for 10 mins??
Old October 21, 2018   #17
coronabarb

canning salt has best results . Iodized can be used safely but quality can suffer. Flake salt not recommended. Water/vinegar ratio should be at least 1:1 for safety, but vinegar can be increased if desired. Sorry typing one handed...have dog on leash next to me w/cone of shame on.

https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/salts_pickling.html
Old October 21, 2018   #18
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I make two types of pickled peppers:

The first is what we call "pepper sauce" down here; it's "pepper vinegar" in other parts of the country, I believe. I use mainly cayenne peppers for this stuff...trim off both the tip and stem ends, pack into a sterilized quart jar, add a tsp of coarse kosher salt, and cover with boiling white vinegar, adding more vinegar as the air is displaced. Screw on the lid and wait for the "pop". After a couple of months, the liquid is ready to be poured over peas or beans, or turnip/collard greens. Wonderful for sopping up with a nice pan of cornbread!

I also pickle jalapeno slices (rings). I eat them with chili and nachos, and also put them on hamburgers. For these, I use what I call the "cold pack" method. I slice the jalapenos and pack them into a quart jar, add 1 tsp of coarse kosher salt, and cover with cold white vinegar. That's it. This "no heat" method makes for nice crisp, crunchy peppers. I keep them in the fridge.

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Worcestershire sauce has anchovies in it.
Just saying.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #20
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Worcestershire sauce has anchovies in it.
Just saying.

Worth

And that means what in relation to home pickling peppers?
Old October 21, 2018   #21
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
pmc, you add fish to your pickles and wb for 10 mins??
(2)Canned Anchovies in oil are added into each jar (they are already processed), they've been made that way, here for 40+ years.
1 little can of anchovies can do a whole batch of peppers, and is used for a salty seasoning not for "fish"
A month old jar of these peppers and you can't find the 2 anchovies, they desolve and make the brine a little cloudy. Try them, let your tastebuds decide.

Last edited by pmcgrady; October 21, 2018 at 06:48 PM.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2018   #22
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
(2)Canned Anchovies in oil are added into each jar (they are already processed), they've been made that way, here for 40+ years.
1 little can of anchovies can do a whole batch of peppers, and is used for a salty seasoning not for "fish"
A month old jar of these peppers and you can't find the 2 anchovies, they desolve and make the brine a little cloudy. Try them, let your tastebuds decide.

Bravo.

Worth
Old October 21, 2018   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Viva la Grady.

Worth
Old October 21, 2018   #24
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Viva la Grady.

Worth
Old October 21, 2018   #25
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by encore View Post
is that for refrigerator type or prossessing type?
It's for processing type, put them on a shelf for a year.

If you water bath them...

Last edited by pmcgrady; October 21, 2018 at 08:06 PM.
Old October 21, 2018   #26
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
I cold pack peppers in sterilized jars with 2 anchovies, 2 cloves garlic, pinch of alum and fill with hot brine/pickling liquid ( 2qts water, 2qts cider vinegar, 1/4 cup salt and 2 cups sugar. Leave headspace 1/2 in. Screw on lids and water bath for 10 minutes.

You might not have gotten sick from doing this, but it's considered unsafe to can that way per national canning guide lines. Doesn't matter who says "bravo" or not, not a safe procedure to use. The recipe you are using is one of the reasons this is posted in the headers "DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK", as some one else may try to use a unsafe recipe and be hurt.

Last edited by imp; October 21, 2018 at 08:43 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2018   #27
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
You might not have gotten sick from doing this, but it's considered unsafe to can that way per national canning guide lines. Doesn't matter who says "bravo" or not, not a safe procedure to use. The recipe you are using is one of the reasons this is posted in the headers "DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK", as some one else may try to use a unsafe recipe and be hurt.
Funny this recipe is almost exactly like the University of Minnesota Extension's pickled bell pepper recipe... Except for the pinch of alum and anchovies.

I don't know how humankind has survived without food safety guidelines...
Old October 22, 2018   #28
imp
Tomatovillian™

PMcgrady, of course anyone may do as they choose to in canning, but adding meats and or fish, even already processed fish or meat, makes it a very different thing. Some of the things my grandmothers did in canning for many many years turned out to be found to be unsafe to do, even though the grandmothers did not make anyone sick or kill them as far as anyone knows.

Canning safely is science based on several factors, just as baking is; understanding and following the hows and whys may save some one's life. I share some of what I can up with others, so I figure I have the right to take risks with myself if I choose to do so, but not to put others at a potential risk deliberately and use approved and tested recipes.
Old October 22, 2018   #29
coronabarb

"I don't know how humankind has survived without food safety guidelines..."

Many of them didn't. We don't hear about the "ptomaine poisoning" as often, (now called botulism) although it does occur every year. Thankfully, it's infrequent and a lot of it occurs in Alaska, etc where they process fish incorrectly. Adding fish to any recipe and then water bath processing is really risky, so I'm glad you haven't had any problems in the past. I don't want this to turn into a "thing" here so that's all that needs to be said.
Old October 22, 2018   #30
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
"I don't know how humankind has survived without food safety guidelines..."

Many of them didn't. We don't hear about the "ptomaine poisoning" as often, (now called botulism) although it does occur every year. Thankfully, it's infrequent and a lot of it occurs in Alaska, etc where they process fish incorrectly. Adding fish to any recipe and then water bath processing is really risky, so I'm glad you haven't had any problems in the past. I don't want this to turn into a "thing" here so that's all that needs to be said.

Re canning fish, did you know the All American canner company says to not use the 2 smaller pressure canners , the 10 and 15 quart ones, to can fish?