Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old December 12, 2018   #16
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

I cooked a big pot of Skagetti meat sauce tonight and just sealed a bag of leftovers, it's not as tight as a piece of meat would be but it sealed fine without air in the bag and you might be able to see the double seal at the top and bottom. I call that good for a few months in the freezer waiting on a fast meal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3607.JPG (446.5 KB, 75 views)
Old December 12, 2018   #17
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Nice!
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018   #18
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Worth, I've had the money for a vacuum sealer. I understand that it's important for some people, but I still buy those double zipper freezer bags sold at Walmart. A straw can suck out extra moisture.

You know I have to do things on the cheap, but only if they work well. It's up to you on what you do. If whatever you have done meets your needs - why change? Buying the latest greatest thing isn't always an answer.

Last edited by AlittleSalt; December 13, 2018 at 10:04 AM. Reason: missing word
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No one is offending me on the Shotgun Red thing, I dont like him either.

What does taken over YouTube feed mean?

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Worth, I've had the money for a vacuum sealer. I understand that it's important for some people, but I still buy those double zipper freezer bags sold at Walmart. A straw can suck out extra moisture.

You know I have do things on the cheap, but only if they work well. It's up to you on what you do. If whatever you have done meets your needs - why change? Buying the latest greatest thing isn't always an answer.
Salt, my/the water displacement method has been working good so far.

I dont have a thousand uses for the vacuum sealer nor will I ever just maybe one thing and that is meat on sale and my sausage.

Worth
Old December 13, 2018   #21
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
No one is offending me on the Shotgun Red thing, I dont like him either.

What does taken over YouTube feed mean?

Worth
I use an AppleTV box to watch most of my TV, it has many channels/ apps... Netflix, CNBC, Smithsonian, National Geographic and YouTube. On the YouTube feed you can type in John Wayne and walla a bunch of full length John Wayne movies will show up. After awhile YouTube thinks it knows what you want to watch and makes recommendations, 90% of them have been Shotgun Red and a guy that buys pallets of Amazon returned goods and resells them lately...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #22
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Ive used the foodsaver machine for years and love it. We always cut our bags longer than needed, they can be washed out an reused. Whenever we do very liquidy items we usually freeze in the bag first then vacuum seal. We've had steaks and roasts over a year old and theyre perfectly fine. The wife is always buying meats on sale so we vacuum pack for future use, worth the price !!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #23
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Salt, my/the water displacement method has been working good so far.

I dont have a thousand uses for the vacuum sealer nor will I ever just maybe one thing and that is meat on sale and my sausage.

Worth
I vacuum packed a lot of sweet/bell peppers this year, they keep a lot longer and the rest of the items in freezer don't smell or taste like peppers as they have in the past using freezer bags.
Old December 13, 2018   #24
mikemansker
Tomatovillian™

We probably use ours mostly for meat. Buying family packs when they are on sale and then freezing chicken breasts, steaks, etc. in meal portions works out well for us.

Things like green beans freeze well and we often have WAY too many green beans when they are in season. The advice given here about liquids is good. Freeze the liquid first and then vacuum seal it.

I think our sealer has more than paid for itself in preventing freezer burn and food loss. It also allows you to freeze things for a longer period of time IMHO.
mikemansker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #25
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

No vacuum sealers, but I'm going to try and pick up the Weston meat mixer and 1 of the Hobart scales.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old December 13, 2018   #26
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I have had the Nesco one for several years. It is not one of the expensive brands and it has held up well for me. I bought it when they had it as one of their deals of the day. On Amazon it is always good to check their warehouse deals too.
https://smile.amazon.com/Nesco-Vacuu...+vacuum+sealer

I use my cold smoker to make large batches of smoked cheese. When I seal it in the bags it lasts a long time. I have some now that is 6 months old and is still good. I buy Alaskan salmon when it is in season and on sale and freeze individual portions so I can have it whenever I want. I have never had freezer burn with any meats that I have sealed.

It is not hard to make the individual size bags and saves money. The pre made ones can be wasteful.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #27
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have a kenmore one and a meal saver one. both were from goodwill probably. I mostly use my sealer for meat from sales or when we harvest. the element won't seal the plastic together if the plastic is wet. that said... make sure you wipe the plastic with a paper towel and make sure it is dry before you try to seal it. I also fold a paper towel and put it between the area I want to seal and the meat. that traps any moisture or liquid before it can waste your time trying to seal it. you can par-freeze the contents also before sealing the bag. I don't, I do the paper towel.
by the way, I don't recall seeing anyone mention... the bags are reusable. I wash them and reuse them for the next batch of meat I am putting in the freezer. you can cook or microwave in them too, but I suspect you could easily blow one up if you don't vent it.

Last edited by clkeiper; December 13, 2018 at 09:13 PM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Going to be a lot of research before I buy anything.
This reminds me of the food processor thread I started some time back.
Finally ended up getting Ii think a 9 cup KitchenAid on blow out sale and very happy with it.
You guys helped.

Worth
Old December 13, 2018   #29
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I have been watching this thread since we have been considering a vacuum sealer for a while. My choices are down to:

Food saver V3240 at $100
Crenova VS 100s at $70
Nutrichef at $60

All three have 4+ stars on Amazon and are in several top choices of people who say they are supposed to be experts.

Worth, any of these in your sights?
Old December 13, 2018   #30
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
I have been watching this thread since we have been considering a vacuum sealer for a while. My choices are down to:

Food saver V3240 at $100
Crenova VS 100s at $70
Nutrichef at $60

All three have 4+ stars on Amazon and are in several top choices of people who say they are supposed to be experts.

Worth, any of these in your sights?
Don't have any picked out yet but a food saver of some sort in the 5460 class.
Right now they have one one the website for 199 with a lot of extra stuff.
But still weeding.

https://www.foodsaver.com/vacuum-sea...M5460-DTC.html