Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old December 12, 2018   #1
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Default Old Fashioned Root Beer

Interested in making my own Root Beer/Soda, mainly from sassafras, juniper berries, wild cherry etc... Locally harvested from within 50 miles of here. One ingredient is Star Anise, and I'm not familiar with it, can I grow it here? Anybody have seeds or experience growing it?
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018   #2
oldman
Tomatovillian™

Star Anise is a seed pod from an Asian tree. Not something you'll want to grow. Too much space, time, and it's not Hardy.

Burdock root adds a nice smoothness to root beer and you can grow it yourself. Wintergreen is another ingredient that I like in root beer. A few drops of wintergreen oil in a 5 gallon batch is plenty so it's easier to just buy it. Although you can probably grow it if you want.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2018   #3
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Very informative! Thank you!
Looks like a few ingredients need imported...
Appreciate the suggestions!
Old December 12, 2018   #4
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Safrole contained in sassafras root is a carcinogen, and has i think been banned.
Wouldn't stop me from having one here and there, but wouldn't make a habit of it.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

We used to dig the roots.
No trees to be had in this area too far west.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #6
oldman
Tomatovillian™

The FDA requires safrole to be removed from commercial foodstuff and has since the 60s. This is the same FDA that was allowing tobacco to be sold as beneficial to a smoker's health at the time. There's no medical evidence linking safrole from sassafras root to cancer.

Since A&W was cutting into colas' business at the time I am inclined to believe the restriction was politically motivated, not a health concern. A&W declined in taste and popularity. Big Cola bought them out and the products sold as root beer by the soda companies today are largely artificially flavored water sweetened with corn syrup. Not terribly healthy, but not a concern if the FDA.

With cost cutting to satisfy the stock holders, most colas have suffered a similar fate. Modern Coke would be unrecognizable, and possibly undrinkable, by people who were used to the same product from 40 years ago. If you have the space and the time making your own sodas is probably a healthier option than drinking commercial soda, especially if you carbonate with yeast. And even a moderately successful attempt will taste better than the major brands of soda.
Old December 13, 2018   #7
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I made cherry soda and root beer but I used flavorings from a local brew supply store. It was pretty good but I'm not a soda drinker.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #8
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I won't say I'm a big soda drinker myself. But I prefer soda made with sugar to those sweetened with corn syrup. It's the same principle as people who don't like beer but only have experience with big batch brews from companies like Budweiser.

Most brew stores sell soda flavors that are made with natural ingredients. If you're going to brew your own you won't be interested in anything artificial. They're a fair alternative to cooking up you own. But making soda from natural ingredients isn't much more difficult than making soup. If you aren't willing to risk sassafras root there's a safrole free sassafras tea you can buy on Amazon if you don't have a local store that will order it for you. It may not be an authentic craft soda, but it's still good experience..

Last edited by oldman; December 13, 2018 at 10:22 AM.
Old December 13, 2018   #9
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

let us know how it works for you. I love oldfashioned real home made root beer but it is impossible to find. nor have I tried making it. we do have sassafras trees here so I have no excuse other than just not trying it. commercially made is just disgusting now a days. just nothing. brown carbonated treacly sweet nothing drink. If I can find it without caramel coloring I can drink it. otherwise the caramel coloring keeps it outta my hand too.

Last edited by clkeiper; December 13, 2018 at 10:48 AM.
clkeiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #10
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Some of the recipes I'm looking at call for Sassafrass and Sasparilla root, I never realized the two roots are different. Looks like I'm going to need to order a few of the ingredients.
Old December 13, 2018   #11
oldman
Tomatovillian™

The Arbor Day Foundation sells sassafras, but you propably have it growing near you already since you're east of the Mississippi. You might check them for sasparilla too. Although the last recipe I made didn't use sasparilla.
Old December 13, 2018   #12
Hunt-Grow-Cook
Tomatovillian™

I'd research birch beer as well, I've had some that tasted almost identical to a natural root beer. Not the commercial syrupy stuff.
Hunt-Grow-Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2018   #13
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Looks like the easiest "soda" I've seen so far is ginger ale. I planted some old ginger and got a better harvest than expected and was wondering what to do with it. I'm going to start a "ginger bug" tonight to get it going.
Old December 13, 2018   #14
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
The Arbor Day Foundation sells sassafras, but you propably have it growing near you already since you're east of the Mississippi. You might check them for sasparilla too. Although the last recipe I made didn't use sasparilla.
My garden is pretty much surrounded by woods, Sassafrass everywhere even volunteers in the garden. Here's a new proverb I just came up with...
"When life gives you Sassafrass... Make Root Beer!"
Old December 13, 2018   #15
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

Be aware that homemade root beer is actually beer, and has alcohol content.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote