Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2019   #1
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Default Walmart shopping dilemma!

Walmart may finally be forcing me to stop shopping at Walmart. After being sick with summer colds for a week, my wife and I thought we would make a quick trip to Walmart for a few necessities. We had avoided public shopping to protect other people from our miserable colds.

Walmart has gone all out for "online shopping". I felt I was pushing my shopping basket down a major interstate highway loaded with semi trucks and trailers. They have employees pushing and pulling giant, multilayered shopping carts down the isles filling online orders. Some carts were so large, a normal shopping basket couldn't pass them. Since I like to "shop" for my groceries instead of order my groceries; I may need to look around for shopper friendly grocery stores.

Has anyone else noticed the trend.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2019   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No I haven't been to the place in a coons age.
But I see some more social issues with this pattern of ordering on line instead of going out to meet the public in person.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2019   #3
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

They let me buy plants with the EBT card,one of the few that do.
Price-wise there are cheaper places to buy plants.
Most at this stage of the season are or should be 1/2 price.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2019   #4
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Yes, that trend is happening at all stores but they may not be as crowded as Wal-Mart.

Giant does the same thing and they even recently reserved 6 parking spaces for people to use when they arrive to pick up their online orders. They just call a number and a Giant employee brings out their order.

My brother orders food online from Whole Foods and they are delivered to his house.

I myself prefer to pick out my own foods at the grocery store.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2019   #5
xellos99
Tomatovillian™

As a person from a land where Walmart does not exist, it may be interesting to compare notes.

In the UK the same thing is happening but it is now viewed as becoming increasingly inefficient because CUSTOMERS KEEP GETTING IN THE WAY lol.

So the solution ? "Dark Stores"

Giant warehouses set up to do the job.

And guess what, ROBOTS all over the place in these hell holes.

The staff that are there are called "pickers" and in typical UK supermarket style they are highly likely to be low paid, young because there is an age tiered minimum wage system here, and many likely to have short contracts so there is no legal requirement to give they holidays or sick pay and any rights. Then they get rid of them and get new victims to repeat the process ( I have been through it 3 times myself )

America will follow I expect, we likely picked it up from Eastern Europe or Germany.
xellos99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2019   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
As a person from a land where Walmart does not exist, it may be interesting to compare notes.

In the UK the same thing is happening but it is now viewed as becoming increasingly inefficient because CUSTOMERS KEEP GETTING IN THE WAY lol.

So the solution ? "Dark Stores"

Giant warehouses set up to do the job.

And guess what, ROBOTS all over the place in these hell holes.

The staff that are there are called "pickers" and in typical UK supermarket style they are highly likely to be low paid, young because there is an age tiered minimum wage system here, and many likely to have short contracts so there is no legal requirement to give they holidays or sick pay and any rights. Then they get rid of them and get new victims to repeat the process ( I have been through it 3 times myself )

America will follow I expect, we likely picked it up from Eastern Europe or Germany.
Thanks a personal mystery is solved.
Old July 1, 2019   #7
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

We pick and choose the visitation times to our local Wal-Mart; morning first part of the week. Weekends are not the time to shop and afternoons and evenings are difficult. With several smaller dept. stores shutting their doors recently there are fewer choices. At least our local seems to have added check-out people so there are not the very long lines to the two open registers like it used to be.

The beggars at the entrance get yelled at by my wife whenever we go to Wal-Mart: "Wal-Mart is hiring...go get a job." Lots of jobs available if they really want to work. (this portion available for editing if necessary)
Old July 1, 2019   #8
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

I have not seen any of the super-carts in the Walmarts in Virginia. I'll be in northern Virginia in a couple weeks - wouldn't be surprised if there is more home delivery there.

In the 1980s I pastored a church in Morehead KY. It was HUGE when Walmart came to town (locally known as "Walmarts.") It was a social gathering place. The few times my wife and I have been back we usually go to Walmart and end up seeing more people that we know than any other place in town!
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2019   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
I have not seen any of the super-carts in the Walmarts in Virginia. I'll be in northern Virginia in a couple weeks - wouldn't be surprised if there is more home delivery there.

In the 1980s I pastored a church in Morehead KY. It was HUGE when Walmart came to town (locally known as "Walmarts.") It was a social gathering place. The few times my wife and I have been back we usually go to Walmart and end up seeing more people that we know than any other place in town!
Bravo!!!
Old July 1, 2019   #10
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Our local Walmart offers online shopping as well, Don, but we have never had problems shopping there while online orders are being filled. Our problems are usually asking people not to take pictures or videos of our kids. Human trafficking is getting to be a major concern here. We don't go shopping without a man anymore. If those people who think they have the right to take pictures or videos of the kids had common sense they would realize the women telling them to stop could be hazardous to their health.
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2019   #11
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by xellos99 View Post
America will follow I expect

Unfortunately, this has been SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) here in the U.S. for the warehouse/logistics sector (Amazon, Walmart, etc.; but also the third-party contract warehouse/logistics companies like XPO Logistics, Expeditors, etc.) for almost two decades.

Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2019   #12
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
Our local Walmart offers online shopping as well, Don, but we have never had problems shopping there while online orders are being filled. Our problems are usually asking people not to take pictures or videos of our kids. Human trafficking is getting to be a major concern here. We don't go shopping without a man anymore. If those people who think they have the right to take pictures or videos of the kids had common sense they would realize the women telling them to stop could be hazardous to their health.

I agree about the problem with human trafficking. It is really bad in Texas due to our proximity to the southern border. Our local sheriffs office and police department denied the problem even existed in local communities. They refused training on how to recognize and prevent it. Some federal raids arrested about fifty traffickers in communities where the problem didn't exist.

Walmart used to stock the shelves at night and shoppers shopped in the daytime. Today, they were stocking shelves at the same time the pickers were filling orders. The entire store was a giant traffic jam. Dedicated warehouses for online order fulfillment are the only solution I can see working.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2019   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Things are changing there that you all don't know about. I don't expect Walmart to be in business in 5 years.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2019   #14
Gardadore
Tomatovillian™

I have used Walmart.com for the first time this summer to order some garden products not in stock at the local store. Prices are the best I could find on the internet or comparable. Once I get notice the product is at the store I go pick it up at a special kiosk. You punch in your pick up number and the package comes down in a small elevator and you are on your way. There is usually an attendant nearby to help if there are any glitches.
I have not done online ordering of any in-stock items not have I found the store crowded due to “pickers” but I don’t go often because the problem at this store is difficulty finding a parking place within reasonable distance of entrance and very long checkout lines.
Gardadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2019   #15
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

My wife has worked for WalMart for 40 years (started a week after we got married) and I spent a 15 year sentence working for them. I have seen them treat employees very badly over the years. I no longer work there and refuse to enter their stores, let alone give them money. My wife still works there 2 days a week, but she has had about all she can stand. I encourage her to quit on a near weekly basis after listening to her complain about how they treat her when I pick her up.

What was once a good American company is now evil IMO. For years I supported WalMart in online discussions, but no longer.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote