Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old March 1, 2006   #1
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Citron Compact and Sicilian Plum

Photo of Citron Compact-they are about 3-5 oz and more yellow than the photo shows. Delicious! Sicilian Plum is about 7 oz and is great for fresh eating, using for sauce or salsa or slicing and putting on pizza.
Old March 2, 2006   #2
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Michael,

Citron Compact is a beautiful looking tomato. Are the tomatoes in your picture from this year? If they are WOW. I did not know that tomatoes ripe so early in El Paso.

My mother's family is from El Paso (and CD Juarez and Favens). I have only been there twice. I wish that I could visit more often because I have lots of family out there.

Take care.

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Angelique-So you know about my growing conditions-hot and dry! The CC and Sicilian Plum came from my winter greenhouse. I plant in the greenhouse usually about October 1 or so, and that carries me through the winter. Plant outside the Sunday after Easter usually, then I plant fall tomatoes usually about August 1.

John-Glad to have sent you seed. CC ,in the winter for me, is about 85 days or so-the dtm is longer in the winter. During the summer, its about 75 days.
Old March 2, 2006   #4
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Good growing Mike ! They look great ! ~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #5
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Angelique-So you know about my growing conditions-hot and dry! The CC and Sicilian Plum came from my winter greenhouse. I plant in the greenhouse usually about October 1 or so, and that carries me through the winter. Plant outside the Sunday after Easter usually, then I plant fall tomatoes usually about August 1.

John-Glad to have sent you seed. CC ,in the winter for me, is about 85 days or so-the dtm is longer in the winter. During the summer, its about 75 days.
Old March 2, 2006   #6
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Michael,

I am getting ready to sow Citron Compact and your pictures are inspiring!
My Golden Dwarf Champions are almost ready for transplanting.
Did you ever do a taste comparison between the 2 ?

Thanks.
Jeanne

I also have some nice White Bush seedlings, have you grown them before?
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #7
Rena
Tomatovillian™

Nice!!!
Rena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #8
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jeanne-My wife and I have done a side by side tasting between cc and gdc. Her palate is much better than mine, and I will tell you that she likes cc bettr than gdc-I suspect the reason is that cc is more tropical fruity and sweet than gdc-at least under our growing conditions. I have heard about white bush, but never had any seed to try it. I think Bill Minkey lists it in the sse yearbook.
Old March 2, 2006   #9
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Michael,
My seed was from Bill and I had 100 % germination so have some spare seeds if you would like to try to plant for fall.
I am leaving town for a few days, but will mail you some if you like when I return.

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Jeanne-I sent you a pm with my mailing address.
Old March 2, 2006   #11
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi Michael,

I forgot to ask you how tall do the Citron Compact plant get. So far, I have not grown any compact or dwarf plants. I'll have to give them a try some day.

My last trip to El Paso was about 8-9 years ago. I went in July or August. I don't remember, El Paso being too hot during my visit. Then again, I live in Roseville (Sacramento, CA) and was raised in Arcadia (San Gabriel Valley of Los Angeles).

My grandmother is going to El Paso in a week (3/11). She was telling me earlier today that sometimes it snows there.

Do you have good growing conditions for peppers in El Paso? My Aunt always brings LOTS of chiles (fresh and dried for tamales, yum) and cinnamon when she visits.

Take care,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2006   #12
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

I too have Citron Compacts ripening and can say that they do have a very tangy, citrus like flavour. Very nice.
They have a thin skin and mine have cracked easily when over watered.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2006   #13
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Angelique-This is the chile capital of the world! Hatch is just down the road a piece. I grow chile every year. Citron Compact gets about 3 feet tall or a little shorter for me. Mantis is right, its thin-skinned and will crack with too much water. But they do taste good. Mantis, how tall is your plant? In the ground or container?
Old March 3, 2006   #14
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

It was about 3 foot high until I chopped off all the older growth to let some new green shoots at the base take over. I have done this with four plants and two of them are flowering again.
We have started Autumn with a couple of days in the high nineties. Still plenty of time for more fruit me thinks.
Made a salsa with Citron Compact and some red tommys yesterday and the CC gave the salsa a nice fruity taste.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2006   #15
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Mantis-thats about the height that I get in my container. Glad you like CC. I am going to grow it outside this spring-before, its always been a winter glasshouse plant. Let me know if you get fruit from cutting back-I have always thought the second blush of fruit from cutting back was not as intense.