Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old April 5, 2008   #46
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Default Sauces

From the Ball Canning website Freshpreserving.com

Basil-Garlic Tomato Sauce

Makes about 7 (16 oz) pints

 20 lb tomatoes (about 60 medium)
 1 cup chopped onion (about 1 large)
 8 cloves garlic, minced
 1 Tbsp olive oil
 1/4 cup finely minced, fresh basil
 Bottled lemon juice
 7 (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands

1.) PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars and lids in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Set bands aside.

2.) WASH tomatoes; drain. Remove core and blossom ends. Cut into quarters. Set aside.

3.) SAUTE onion and garlic in olive oil until transparent. Add tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4.) PUREE tomato mixture in a food processor or blender, working in batches. Strain puree to remove seeds and peel.

5.) COMBINE tomato puree and basil in large saucepot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until volume is reduced by half, stirring to prevent sticking.

6.) ADD 1 Tbsp bottled lemon juice to each hot jar. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight.

7.) PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner for 35 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check for seal after 24 hours. Lids should not flex up and down when center is pressed.
coronabarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2009   #47
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

OK just to get this through my thick head. If I want to freeze sauce I do not have to put acid of any sort in it? also how long can you keep it frozen? I don't have much freezer space so I can't do much of this but it would be a good alternative.
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2009   #48
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Default Fresh Canned Salsa

I have used Annie's Salsa recipe, but would like to make some without tomato sauce or paste. I know I have to use lime, lemon or vinegar, but do I have to heat the salsa before putting it in the water bath? I am looking to use up more tomatoes, but want to keep the fresh taste in my salsa.
Thanks
Chris
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2009   #49
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

No you don’t have to cook/heat up the salsa I never do and I’m not dead yet.
Of course I was raised on a farm ran barefoot and kissed my pet Brahman bull on the lips thusly I have a very good immune system.
That isn’t so as botulism poison is a byproduct of the bacteria and highly toxic, it is anaerobic which means it thrives in the absence of free oxygen.
The bacteria fails to multiply if the acidity is kept at or below 4.6, this means that no matter how many cows I kissed I can still die from it as easily as anybody else it is the toxin that does the dirty work.

There are many web sites that can tell you how to make salsa from tomatoes.
And quite a few right here at Tomatoville

Just follow the directions and have fun, canning should not be a scary thing with constant worry about whether or not you will get poisoned.
Keep things clean and keep plenty of bleach on hand.
Keep your hands clean and all of your utensils clean and sterile.
I can promise you that if you even half way try to keep things clean you will be much cleaner than many processing plants.

I don’t want this to sound like a lecture and I hope it doesn’t I just wanted to put some very important facts out there so folks can see them.
I was raised canning and that is all we ate, home grown beef, chickens, rabbits, ducks, fish, pork and veggies.
At about 9, I was in charge of butter and eggs at about 13, I was in charge of the pickling.
I really miss home made butter, you just cant buy the stuff.
I have spent all of my life in the kitchen and love every minute of it and love to help folks any way I can.

PS, I have never used tomato sauce or paste in my salsa, I cant stand the stuff.
Good cooking.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2009   #50
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I really miss home made butter, you just cant buy the stuff.
A little OT...but around here and in in parts of PA and OH, you can get Amish butter...and that is pretty darn close to homemade...but yeah, I know what you mean (except when the cows got into the ramps...then you could beat it with cheap margarine...)
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2009   #51
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I have used the posts here on T'ville to make salsa...and the one I used for canning was one with paste, etc. Now that I know I can put up some pints of the fresh stuff, I will certainly do so. Thanks for all the good info, Worth. I value your feedback.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2009   #52
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default Hot Sauce

My Peruvian Pointer pepper plants were super productive (10 gallons of peppers from 3 plants) so I fiddled around with them and figured out a recipe that is quite close to the famous Huy Fong Sriracha "Rooster" sauce. If you've never had that sauce it is addictive even for people who aren't Chili Heads.

Mock Huy Fong Sriracha "Rooster" sauce

4-5 cups (~1 lb) Fresh whole red Jalapenos/Peruvian Pointer/, etc. peppers.
1 med-lg garlic bulb =1/3-1/2 cup cloves, crushed and chopped (don't bother peeling since it all will be strained)
1 cup water
1.5 tsp seasalt/kosher salt
Boil 5-10 min to soften
Blend and strain/press through a wire seive
1 Tbs sugar
6 Tbs=3oz white vinegar (tasted funny with cider vinegar)
Simmer to thicken...It should be the consistency of Catsup.

Makes a little over 1-1/2 cups

Disclaimer:
I don't know what the pH of this is so if you want to can or keep it out on the table unrefrigerated you may have to adjust the vinegar. I also do not know what the shelf life of this is in the refrigerator.

Huy Fong Sriracha Sauce is an American product invented by a Vietnamese man, made with Mexican Peppers (red Jalapenos), named after a Thai table sauce (Sriracha) and the ship the man came to America on (Huy Fong). But it has a picture of a rooster on the bottle so everybody just calls it "rooster sauce".

Anybody else have a good hot sauce recipe?
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2009   #53
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

Looks like a tasty recipe.

Capsaicin is an oil that has very low solubility in water, but is quite soluble in alcohol. Therefore you may get a hotter sauce if you add say a half cup of vodka in place of some of the water prior to boiling.

TomNJ
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2009   #54
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

I pretty much stuck with the original ingredients to get the original flavor. The peppers I used are a bit hotter than jalapenos though. Rooster sauce is not supposed to be overly hot, which is why it is so popular.

I do have tons of flavorless super hot peppers (habaneros etc) from this cool summer, which might get soaked in a bottle of vodka or rum to make an extract. They are not good for much else.
Old November 22, 2009   #55
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default Pepper Extract

Here is something you can do with your unripe end of season hot peppers, hot ornamental peppers, and slightly moldy/buggy hot peppers. It helps to have a dehydrator but you could use the oven on low for drying and reducing the liquid.

Pepper/Capcaisin Extract:

--3-5 cups of dried flakes/crushed peppers (about a gallon ziplock full of dried whole/half habanero sized peppers before crushing). The blender-food processor works good for crushing the peppers. You could do this with or without the booze (dry or wet)
--75 ml bottle of cheapest vodka or white rum (80 proof). Add more water if needed.

Soak peppers in booze over night, drain, and press out liquid in a wire sieve.

Strain liquid through clean cloth (coffee filters get clogged by the fine sediment).

Place liquid in a shallow dish (glass brownie pan etc) and reduce in dehydrator or oven. It only took a half a day on the jerky setting of my dehydrator to reduce the liquid by more than half. (I also re dehydrated the pepper flakes since they still retained alot of heat)

I ended up with about a half of a cup of extract from a bottle of white rum.

So why make this stuff? ...It is a nice addition to certain beverages. I dip a teaspoon in the jar of extract to coat it an then stir it into the liquid. My favorites so far...

--Hot chocolate. Some chocolates have a bit of a bite anyway and this enhances that.

--Cheap jug Sangria. I never would have though that it would turn out this good. Iced sangria with a kick.

--Bourbon.

and of course you could add it to your to high-end vodka without having to pay for a whole bottle of Absolut Peppar

Possibly ice cream? Dipping the spoon in the extract rather than putting the extract on the ice cream might be best.

Dipped toothpicks (fire sticks) for you hot heads (not for me).

?Dipped cinnamon sticks for holiday gifts to other chiliheads?

If you like Red Hot candies you can kick them up a notch or three.

You could also use it in sprays to keep deer away from your vegetables, but soaking the pepper flakes in cheaper rubbing alcohol (not edible) and not reducing it would be easier and cheaper.

The hard core amature/Pro-Am hotsauce makers use ultra hot varieties(Bhut Jolokias, Trinidad scorpions etc) and Everclear grain alcohol or 151 rum to get dangerously hot extract (dangerously hot and dangerous to make). What I'm suggesting here is an easy, inexpensive way to get a useful culinary product out of peppers that are not good for much else.

Last edited by TZ-OH6; November 22, 2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: format change
Old February 23, 2010   #56
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Default Any good hot pepper sauce recipes?

Does anyone care to post some of their creations?
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2010   #57
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Here is one I've used for years, it's easy and doesn't have to be canned. I use whatever peppers I have on hand and I use more than the recipe calls for, you can make it as hot as you want. I usually make a triple or quadruple batch.

Fire Water

Recipe courtesy Tyler Florence
Prep Time: 5 min
Inactive Prep Time: hr min
Cook Time: 30 min
Level: Easy
Serves: 1 cup
Ingredients
  • 12 cayenne chiles, stems removed
  • 2 garlic cloves
  • 1/2 yellow onion
  • 1/2 lemon, juiced
  • 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
Directions

Place all ingredients in a heavy saucepan and slowly bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Pour the mixture into a blender and puree until smooth. Pass the hot sauce through a mesh strainer lined with cheesecloth, if desired.

Printed from FoodNetwork.com
Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights Reserved
Printed from FoodNetwork.com on Tue Feb 23 2010
© 2010 Scripps Networks, LLC. All Rights
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2010   #58
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

A while back I posted some in this thread in the harvest section

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=12550
Old February 23, 2010   #59
bboomer
Tomatovillian™

An amazing but simple recipe from my uncle:

Uncle Pepe Muñiz’s Chile Recipe

1. Chile – Your choice depending on what kind of chile you want.

a. Chile Arbol (NM hot-dry) as much as you dare. Pulverize in the blender. Do this first.

b. Chile Japonese (NM hot-dry) . Same as above.

c. Green Chiles (fresh): Jalapenos or others of your choice. [I believe they must come from Hatch, NM]

2. White Onion. One large or as much as you like.

3. Green onions. Three or four whole.

4. Tomatillo. Two or three depending on size.

5. Fresh Cilantro. One half of a bunch.

6. Canned tomatoes. Small can. Plain, no spices added. My Uncle Pepe recommends Hunts brand tomatoes.

7. Tomato sauce. One small can. Plain, no spices added. Hunts brand.

8. Garlic fresh. As much as you like

9. Salt 1/2 tsp.

10. Water to desired thickness.

Blend all ingredients. That’s it!

The fun is in the experimentation. Of course, fresh tomatoes are better!

I have more recipies if anyone is interested!
bboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2010   #60
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

My Habanero Sauce:

12 Habaneros (I de-seed half of them)
1 C distilled white vinegar
(1) 15.5 oz sliced pears in heavy syrup (I used sliced peaches in heavy syrup)
1/2 C Brown Sugar
1/2 C Honey
1/4 C Karo Light Corn Syrup
2 T paprika
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp coriander (to taste)
1/2 tsp ground cumin (to taste)
1 T kosher salt (to taste)
Fresh ground pepper to taste (~1/2 tsp)

Put everything in the blender and until well blended. Fits perfectly in a 1 Qt Mason Jar. Refrigerate.

WARNING: It is sweet but those habaneros will sneak up on ya...so if you're using with tortilla chips, you'll want to "dip"...NOT scoop!!! Great on meats too!
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote