Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 23, 2009   #31
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

I love freezer jams, my mom always made strawberry when I was a kid, later she started to mix raspberry and strawberry which is better than either one by itself. Also black berry is superb...
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2009   #32
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

Oh, it's good to know someone who's actually had some. I'll take your word that it's good, and maybe give the spiced autumn preserves a try.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2009   #33
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

i do not like freezer jam. i've made both and there's more sugar in freezer jam than the regular recipe and it's gritty. what i do is i make the regular jam recipe and freeze it. tastes better and it uses less sugar but both use a lot of sugar.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2009   #34
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I've made both with stevia and reduced the amount of sugar but got the required sweetness. No guilt factor then for my blood sugars.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2009   #35
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

I water bath canned some acidified blackberry blueberry compote this year- it seems to be hanging in there.

I went to a pressure canning workshop this spring and would really like to actually pressure can more things.

i do like the taste of freezer jam, but am put off by the amount of sugar. I am hoping to get the time to get a basket of apples and pressure can some no-added-sugar sauce maybe next weekend!

I bought a stevia plant, I like 1-2 leaves in a green smoothie but my husband doesnt like the taste
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2009   #36
Zana
Tomatovillian™

you can buy granulated stevia...almost no taste or texture difference IMHO....but you need far less to get the same sweetness factor.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2010   #37
hilldale
Tomatovillian™

I always make the strawberry freezer jam--my family loves it. I can't wait to try your strawberry-nectarine jam this summer. Thanks for posting the recipe!
hilldale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12, 2012   #38
bbjm
Tomatovillian™

I don't understand the statements saying that there is too much sugar in freezer jam. I suppose with hot water bath jam requires a particular amount of sugar, but it seems like freezer jam would be the perfect thing to experiment with much less sugar -- particularly if the complaint about it is that it uses too much sugar. What am I missing?

Thanks.
bbjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22, 2012   #39
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

The jam requires a certain ratio of sugar and fruit in order to set up. When you start changing the ratio the pectin doesn't jel as you expect it to. You get syrup, not a soft spread.

If you make cooked jam the pectin isn't necessary in all the fruit recipes. You cook it to the jelly stage to make it set up. I just made raspberry hot pepper jam and did not use any pectin. I used a candy thermometer to cook it to the jelly stage. then bottled it and hot water bathed it to finish.

Hot pepper jelly needs certo (liquid pectin) not powdered pectin to make it set up. That one I don't understand, but I have made it and it is required to have a semi soft texture.
Old August 25, 2013   #40
Smithma
Tomatovillian™

Default Sun Gold preserves

Has anyone made preserves from Sun Gold tomatoes? As they are so sweet do you adjust the sugar added, or would that keep the pectin from setting properly?
I plan to can in a hot water bath.
My one plant is making more than I can eat, giving many away. Not a bad problem to have.
Mike
Smithma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2013   #41
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Regular Pectin requires the specified amount of sugar. If you make a batch and it is too sweet try reduced sugar pectin and go from there. I always try the original recipe first and adjust if needed
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2013   #42
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Have you ever seen the blog Food in Jars? A few weeks ago, she did a peach and yellow tomato jam, which would be interesting to do with Sungolds. She says not to peel or seed the tomatoes... The URL for this recipe is http://foodinjars.com/2013/08/spicy-...ow-tomato-jam/

There's also this one, which calls for Sungolds:
http://foodinjars.com/2011/08/yellow...and-basil-jam/
I haven't tried this one... yet either.

I also make her "regular" tomato jam, and it is fantastic. It's in the recipe index.

Robin
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2013   #43
Smithma
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Robin
Searched for recipes all morning, non as good as these, I will book mark this site for sure.
Can't wait to try with sun golds, also going try peach and habanaero jam
Mike
Smithma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2013   #44
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

I am going to make some peach and amaretto Jam next yummy!!
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2013   #45
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

A few years ago I made Tomato Marmalade - it was wonderful. I think it is in the Ball Canning book. It has grange and lemon in it. Mine didn't set, but it was the first time ever I tried my hand at canning. I did use it as a very runny 'marmalade', but I also used it to enhance my boneless skinless chicken breast fried in olive oil, man oh man. Really great! I added some to a chili I made too. I"d bet Sun Gold would be a wonderful choice for it.
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote