Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 2, 2017   #16
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
NOW I was told to burn sulpher on a shovel to sterilise ones greenhouse....
I think someone's taking the ★★★★. Stop trying to sterilize everything.** Just grow your plants.

Leave the spiders alone; they are your friends. Have you ever seen a bumble bee in a spider web? I haven't.

** bleach spray on the pots before using seems reasonable

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2017   #17
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...I would not have worried about it unless I had seen a number of bumble bees last season dead caught in spider webs ..Maybe your bumble bees are smarter than ours....Re Sulpher...Nobody is taking the mickey here....according to a guy named Wally who sells various items for growing plants its apparantly a remedy used by old timers ...
Ahhhh Found the website.....
https://www.0800466464.co.nz/pest-co...lasshouse.html

Yes I just put each of my washing machine drums in the bleach and leave for a length of time and then try and get them out....Cheers Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2017   #18
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Hmph. Burning it as a fungicide is a new one on me. Not something to be done around live plants they say...

Our bumblie bees are big. Nearly the size of a truck. They'd go right through a web. Maybe you have big spiders?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2017   #19
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

If you use a sulfur vaporizer, don't breathe the vapors it makes. Run it on a timer when you are not present.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2017   #20
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

If Raid is a worry, just take a small stick and clean out the spider webs. There are bees. There are spiders. Mother Nature seems to keep them in balance.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3, 2017   #21
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

GrowingCoastal....yes thats what I will be doing from now on ...I do see buds on my plant and a friend says he thinks its going to slow but will be all right given time... I will be posting a new photo soon..Cheers Ron
Old November 8, 2017   #22
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi all ..I have found my camera so I have new photos of my 3 Tasty Toms...I got rung about 5 Mature tasty toms for me...by a garden centre but I was shocked by the price of $29.99 each so declined as I knew another Garden Centre would have them very soon at a much cheaper price.....
The Good News is my affected plant has had a new lease of life ....So I will post photos ...The affected plant is in the drum with the Blue water holder...Hopefully the flowers will burst open into a wonderful yellow and the bees will attack it....The other of course has always looked good and has tomatoes ....I bought a 3rd youngster just in case but I hope to have the mature Tasty Toms within a few days and then the arranging etc will be done in my greenhouse...Meantime in another thread you can see my two trays of seeds with another tray still to come ....about 42 seedlings all up ...a number of these are being given away ..Yes I know I am late and will do better next season if I am still around .....

My week spot is knowing what to feed them ....I am still giving them Miracle Gro...i would love to try out the Hydroponic samples I was given but I need to know more about it first...
rEgards Ron...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TT#1_2017-11-08_190840.jpg (119.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg TT#2_2017-11-08_190503.jpg (110.1 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg TT#2A_2017-11-08_190708.jpg (133.4 KB, 46 views)
File Type: jpg TT#3_2017-11-08_191028.jpg (106.8 KB, 46 views)
Old November 8, 2017   #23
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

take those suckers off the bottoms of those two top plants and root them up. there you have 4? that I see for free.
Old November 8, 2017   #24
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I looked up the currency conversion, and $30 NZ is about $20.75 US. That's more than the most expensive plants I have seen for sale here, which are usually in 2-gallon pots and quite big. Unfortunately, the ones here that are sold at that size have been treated with growth regulators to make the stem be thick.

At prices like that, rooting cuttings is definitely worthwhile.
Old November 8, 2017   #25
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If you are using miracle grow why not just use a granular 13-13-13.
And top water every now and then.
You would be far better off.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2017   #26
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I think he would want a pelleted, time-release granular, like Osmocote. I've tried the stuff meant for soil in containers, and I have never killed a plant so fast. I turned a healthy pepper plant into the Charlie Brown Christmas tree in just a few hours.
Old November 8, 2017   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I think he would want a pelleted, time-release granular, like Osmocote. I've tried the stuff meant for soil in containers, and I have never killed a plant so fast. I turned a healthy pepper plant into the Charlie Brown Christmas tree in just a few hours.
You used too much I do it all the time.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2017   #28
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

HI....Now this is great......Osmocote..we have it here ..is it that dangerous ..I have never used it....Now re the suckers..I took 5 off the 2 plants ....they all failed to root...When i finally get the mature plants thats the first thing I will do..take off surplus suckers and grow them...
REgards Ron
Old November 8, 2017   #29
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If you are using miracle grow why not just use a granular 13-13-13.
And top water every now and then.
You would be far better off.
Worth
Hi Worth ....I could use your infinate knowledge over here??? Anyway your granular 13-13-13.... Do you have a brand name that I could look for please....

I was saying in another post that you might know of something one could simply put in the bottom of a Chamber that would keep the air at 10 - 12 degrees .....instead of using water through radiators and tubes........ ?? That idea actually works till the freezer breaks down but to get 10 degrees air temperature in the chamber I estimate that the water flow would have to be round 4-5 degrees ....
Its the heat from LED lights my electrician never calculated for ...There must be something "off the shelf" that keeps air cool?? ...Probably no need for them here but no doubt in many parts of the USA they would be normal house items...

The sooner Amazon opens here the better ...Regards Ron
Old November 8, 2017   #30
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

what is so dangerous about osmocote? I have never killed anything with it.

and second what or how did you try to root those suckers? I have plopped suckers in a bucket with a bit of potting soil (not dirt, but a sterile potting mix) in the bottom, pushed the suckers in and gave them a bit of water,..... rooted very easily.
as to that 13-13-13 do you have a farm store or feed mill? they carry fertilizer for corn or field crops in 12-12-12/ 13 -13-13/ 14-14-14 or other formulas but in essence any of them will do. 12-12-12 is generally a grass or lawn fertilizer here.