Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old October 28, 2012   #1
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default Food Processing Equipment.

I thought I would post this link so you guys can drool over some of the products.
I have used these guys for years and they are reputable.
Worth
PS Maybe a sticky would be in order for links and comments on suppliers such as this that are garden and food related.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/tomatostrainers.aspx
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2012   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Mom has been using them for years for her cheese making supplies, and for natural sausage casings when she can't find them in the local stores. She's never had a problem with them.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2012   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm asking Santa for one of these:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/58...chine.html?s=p
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012   #4
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Santa brought me this a few years ago and I was very happy when we got it out of storage. I am ready for my maters...and making jelly.

http://www.histakes-spelt.com/juicer.php

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2012   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Rockporter, I have one of the juicer/steamer pans. I make 2-4 bu. of grapes into juice every Fall. I have made apple juice and elderberry juice for jelly, too. I read to put marbles in the bottom pan so if it goes dry they start jumping around and warn you to add water. I have tried it and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think I want to get another one, too. Making that much grape juice takes a lot of waiting time. Two pans would really speed it up.
Old November 4, 2012   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Rockporter, I have one of the juicer/steamer pans. I make 2-4 bu. of grapes into juice every Fall. I have made apple juice and elderberry juice for jelly, too. I read to put marbles in the bottom pan so if it goes dry they start jumping around and warn you to add water. I have tried it and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. I think I want to get another one, too. Making that much grape juice takes a lot of waiting time. Two pans would really speed it up.

You can do like Lucy did.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4, 2012   #7
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post

I did not know about the marble trick, I might try that. Elderberries, I have never had one of those either but I hear they taste fantastic.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2012   #8
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Actually, elderberries are NOT tasty, unless you add more sugar than fruit. They are a very pretty color, but rather bland. My Grandma made elderberry pie and it took more sugar than berries and cinnamon, butter and cream for them to be yummy and I liked the "crunch" from the tiny seeds inside more than I liked the flavor. Silly, huh? When we were kids and were out running the countryside on our horses and ponies they were a great thirst quencher since they weren't really sweet at all.

Worth, no thank you, toe jam was not what I was making with my juice. I sure hope she washed her feet before jumping in there.
Old November 5, 2012   #9
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I use this for all my tomato processing, juice making and jam making.

http://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP250-Model-Strainer-Sauce/dp/B001I7FP54http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SVZJ0A/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lp o-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001I7FP54&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX 0DER&pf_rd_r=1A4WG7AM9E8P3PGSS2AK
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2012   #10
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Nancy, I have a really old victorio strainer that I bought at goodwill for $8.00 a long time ago and I love it. Mine has the old style metal auger though, it weighs about 5#'s . I usually use it for applesauce and tomato/vegetable juice. I haven't tried to use it for any other juice though. Do you get a lot of pulp as you are making it? the steamer juicer pan makes a clear juice, which is what my children and husband "need" for juice. They really don't like pulpy juice. I also can seal my jars for the juice as I am releasing the juice through the hose. Hot jars from the oven, simmering lids and simmering juice and it seals sitting on the counter. no need for a boiling water bath after bottling it.
Old November 5, 2012   #11
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I had an old strainer and I bought this one because I could get different strainers. The smallest one makes even raspberry jam seedless, so it would work for your non pulpy juice. I also like the salsa screen, because sometimes I want chunks, but not too big chucks. This really eliminates a lot of chopping. And the real piece de resistance is the short auger for grapes with their larger seeds. The time I used a cheescloth cured me of ever trying that again. This is so much easier, cleaner, and hardly any waste. I've used the heck out of this stainer, and if it ever breaks I'll be online reordering pronto.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2012   #12
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have all the screens, I just have never used them, only the one for applesauce.