Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 4, 2008   #16
FlipTX
Tomatovillian™

Tomaat, which baby corn did you grow? I was thinking of trying Chires Baby, which is supposed to have many ears per plant, and thought that might be a better use of my space.
FlipTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2008   #17
mresseguie
Tomatovillian™

Plant no more:

Watermelons
Corn
Brussels sprouts
Radishes
Broccoli raab
Bush beans
Giant pumpkins
Grapes
Lingon berries
Bitter melon

I love all but the raab and bitter melon, but either have space limitations or my wife and son won't eat them. What's a boy to do?--Grow what gets eaten!
Old April 5, 2008   #18
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

"I gave up on spinach a long time ago. Swiss chard works a lot better."

Yes, swiss chard! While I love the taste of home grown spinach, it bolts quickly here (and I never seem to feel like gardening in the middle of winter). Swiss chard is a great green, takes neglect in stride, is good in salad when young and good chopped in stir fry, lasagna, etc, especially when trying to hide veggies from kids. I love it!
Old April 5, 2008   #19
oldgaredneck
Tomatovillian™

No more eggplant (at least for several years) - had a surplus last year, and I'm the only one in the house who eats it....
Old April 5, 2008   #20
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

No corn or sugar snap peas (sniff sniff...we love it, but it just isn't worth taking the space...gets too warm too fast as well).
Old April 5, 2008   #21
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Celery. The slugs enjoyed it more than I did!
Sherry_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2008   #22
Lomatia
Tomatovillian™

Brussels sprouts because they take up a lot of space and need to be planted in the late summer so hard to establish and protect.

Celery because it needs a lot of water and is never as good as you can buy.
Lomatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2008   #23
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Not growing the kind of peas that you shell. Took about 3 pounds of peas to get enough shelled for each of us to have a tablespoonful.

Definitely not growing Black Russian tomatoes again. Nice in sauce, but mealy and nasty to eat sliced and the bugs just loved them. Harvested maybe one out of every hundred or so produced.

Not growing any seeds that came from New England seed company or Burpee - germination rates approached zero. Also did not order again from Thompson & Morgan. Their germination rates were better, but not spectacular.

I did spend a small fortune at High Mowing, Seeds of Italy, and a couple of other places.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2008   #24
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Tried corn once, not worth it. But I'm having a hard time finding really good corn here in N.C. Last two years we tried numerous farm stands and it was so-so. I might be a little bias but Long Island corn is/was the BEST I have ever eaten. Those who live towards the East end of the Island know what I'm talking about.

and I'm giving Pumpkins one last chance. There has to be a trick that I don't know about. Tried planting it at different times, different soils, and all I got was one half rotten green one

Haberneros - too hot to handle. Pointless for me. I like 'em hot but I like to taste it too. Habs just set me on fire.

Soy beans - never got big like the ones in the stores and the taste was not as strong

Lats chance for watermelons too. I try, I really do but can't get just one really good one. Had some nice ones but nothing that wow-ed me.

Strange, Cantelopes go nuts for me though.

Pole beans. Rather do bush.

Cetain herbs just because of lack of use. Lavendar, Rosemary ect

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2008   #25
Granny
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinine View Post
Will not grow Rosemary or Dill from seed. Will never ever ever ever grow corn.
Now that one I must admit surprised me. We planted dill last year and had gorgeous dill 6 feet high. We did absolutely nothing to it at all. Stuck the seeds in the ground, watered it once a week if it did not rain. The monarch caterpillars loved to live there. I ended up with planty of dill for pickling and more dill seed than I can possibly use.
Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2008   #26
RosaDawn
Tomatovillian™

That surprised me too.I grew dill last year and it was terrific.I didn't do anything special to it just put a few seeds in the soil and forgot about it until it started growing.But Rosemary defeats me every time,I simply cannot get it to grow from seed.
RosaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2008   #27
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Put me down for not growing corn again. Just didn't get good pollination, don't have enough room and it's too picky about when you pick it. Too early, too late, whatever. I'm over it.

I haven't grown dill yet, but need to for my pickles. That's on my must plant list this year. It's hard to get fresh dill around here otherwise.

Melons, I had given up on. They never do well here. Not hot enough, long enough here, I think. BUT, then I saw Minnesota Midget on Seedsavers.org and now I'm going to try them. They are only 3-4 inches and grow on a 3 foot vine and short DTM. Sooo, my hopes are up once again.

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2008   #28
RosaDawn
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying Minnesota Midget melon this year too.Can't grow watermelons,but maybe i can get a cantaloupe or two.By the way,the dill reseeds.I was out today raking and i saw a bunch of dill seedlings where i grew dill last year.
RosaDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2008   #29
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Add one more item; onion from seed.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2008   #30
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

broccoli - the worms chowed my plants !

~ Tom
Tomstrees is offline   Reply With Quote