Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old January 26, 2013   #16
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Default A very important addendum TSWV

To those of you who have replied to my request for Hardy sweet and bell peppers for Zone 7b, one thing I need to add. My garden is endemic for Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus.

Are any of the many varieties suggest by y'all resistant to TSWV???

Thanks,
tlcmd (aka Dick)

"If only Longstreet had followed orders......"

"Show me something more beautiful than a beautiful woman and then I'll go paint it." Alberto Vargas
tlcmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #17
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Dick

Sometimes TSWV can be devastating to my tomato plants. One year I lost over one third of my plants within a 3 week period. I get TSWV every year to one degree or another but have not had much of a problem with it ruining my bell pepper plants. Last year I did have it on a couple of chile peppers and it really hurt production of good fruit. Both King Arthur and Socrates are resistant to a lot of pepper diseases and though I have had problems with a few of them for the most part they are usually disease free. I have not seen TSWV resistance listed on any peppers; but maybe there are some.

I do spray my peppers when I spray my tomatoes to prevent speck or spot diseases that can be a problem in our high humidity and heat. The reason I spray is because once those things get started it is really hard to get rid of them and it is just easier to do the preventative spraying.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #18
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

I didn't see any mention of Chervena Chuska. I have never enjoyed a pepper as much as this one. If I didn't have to do seed production on a lot of peppers I wouldn't even bother planting anything else.

The ones I grew in containers out performed the ones in the ground 2 to 1.

http://doublehelixfarms.com/Chervena-Chuska
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #19
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Hybrid bells with TSWV resistance in my Siegers catalog are:

Bayonet
Cutlass
Delirio
Sirius
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #20
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I found a few in the Totally Tomatoes catalog as well. Heritage VR hybrid seems like a good bet. I may even buy some to see if they are as tasty and productive as Socrates. Too late for spring planting but I usually set out a few in mid summer for good fall production.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3, 2013   #21
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Thanks to all for the above replies. I finally decided to go with EXCURSION II bell peppers from Twilley. They have TSWV resistance (tolerance). I've dealt with them before and have always gotten good service and quality seeds.

Will let you know how they are doing later this year.

tlcmd (aka Dick)

"Show me something more beautiful than a beautiful woman and then I'll go paint it." Alberto Vargas
Old March 9, 2013   #22
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I would add in that I have my best peppers when I plant in clusters rather than singly or in rows. They shade each others fruits and help each other stand up. I add some epsom salts around the base of the stems at planting and several times per season. This seems to help me with my sandy soil in particular.

Good luck!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2013   #23
tlcmd
Tomatovillian™

Default Bell Peppers.

Thanks for the note about clustering them. I've planted them within my rows of Clemson Spineless okra which also protects and shades them.
tlcmd (aka Dick)