Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old February 20, 2013   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Hydrofarm Plugs for Starting Pepper ?

I made an impulse purchase today - bought a unitasker - The Hydrofarm Smart Float Grow Tray! Went crazy ahead of the blizzard and just started filling the cart in anticipating of being snowed in for a few days. now I'm committed to purchasing expensive refills.

Does anyone know the composition of Jump Start Smart Float Plugs? They look a little peaty but are still much darker than jiffy-type mix but I can't really tell from looking and the packaging is all about the tray and vague on the growing medium. I would appreciate a thumbs up or down for peppers. I have a small amount of Cactus Mix from last year but enough for only a few cells.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2013   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I've never seen the Hydrofarm plugs, but they look similar to the round General Hydroponics Rapid Rooter plugs which are made of composted organic matter including tree bark bonded together with natural polymers.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2013   #3
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I've seen the Rapid Rooter plugs at the Hydro store, and they are notably darker and more moist looking than the Hydrofarm plugs. I was at a feed stsore browsing and picked up the Hydrofarm kit up despite the little voice telling me this is peaty looking..

I am amazed that commercial plugs are able to hold their shape during transportation and merchandising. Does anyone know how this manufacturing process can be duplicated at home? My attempts at soil blocks are not nearly as sturdy.

-L.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2013   #4
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I guess they must liquefy the organic material into something like a cake batter and then use something to cause it to rise creating the spongy texture when they're baked. I've never seen a recipe for making them at home. Are the Hydrofarm plugs spongy like the Rapid Rooters?

I've never seen grow plugs as practical for seed starting unless you are doing a small number of plants since you can only put one seed in each plug. They are great for rooting cuttings though.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote