Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 31, 2013   #1
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Default Aji Margariteno, Mako Akokosrade, Manganji

I just got three new to me peppers from fellow SSE members, and I'm pretty excited about all of them. Has anybody grown any of these before? Thoughts? The SSE yearbook descriptions are below.

Aji Margariteño is a sweet C. chinense variety, indigenous to Margarita Island, with an intense flavor and aroma distinct from its mainland counterparts

Mako Akokosrade 90+ days, Capsicum chinense. Plants produce abundant quantities of pointed, wrinkled, dark yellow peppers. By far, the most aromatic pepper variety I've encountered anywhere, with an intense habanero aroma, with strong notes of melon and even a little mango. Ghanaians use this to add extra aroma to peppery dishes. 'Mako akokosrade' means 'yellow pepper' in the Twi langauge., The original seeds were collected on 2011.08.29, at a roadside market in Nkrakum village, outside Koforidua, East Akyim District, Eastern Region, Ghana.

Manganji 90 days, A long thin pepper that is a regional specialty from an area near Kyoto, it is an cross between fushimi and Cal Wonder bell pepper made some 80 years ago. Plants are 24 inches tall and quite prolific. Fruity, rich flavor - especially good grilled when either green or fully mature red.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2013   #2
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

Not familiar with any of the 3, the first 2 sound very much like a seasoning peppers from the Caribbean. Any chance of a possible trade at the end of this growing year? I have about 30 different ones growing this year. Let me know, thanks.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31, 2013   #3
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Sure, if they work out I'd be happy to trade.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote