Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 8, 2010   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default some interesting beet germination data

This year I've decided to try something. I thick planted beets, and just today, transplanted them into plug flats, one seedling per plug. Why? Last year, my first experience with beets, was frustrating. The beet seeds are not monogerm, so you get several plants per seed - and once the weeds come in, thinning and weeding is not much fun. So we shall see - once my bed is prepared, I can get well started seedlings reasonable distances apart. If it doesn't work out and I get ugly beets or poor development, we will have plenty of nice beet greens to eat.

Data wise, I got an idea of seedlings per planting. I planted 15 seeds per cell - my beet seedling total were 13, 17, 18, 19, 17, 14, and 17. So not too many in excess of the 15 planted, and assuming a few seeds didn't germinate, may come out to about 1.5 plants per seed planted.

I am growing Touchstone Gold, Ruby Queen, Burpee Golden, and Chioggia.
Old March 9, 2010   #2
desertlzbn
Tomatovillian™

Craig, It takes some extra time, but I use the square ft gardening method for my beets. I took a 12x12 laminated square of cardstock, and cut holes every 3 inches. Then I drop 1 beet seed down each hole, and cover with vermiculite. I do have to do some thinning, but not nearly as much as when you plant a whole row. I direct seed in the garden.
desertlzbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2010   #3
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

Beets have been a challenge here on the coast. Turns out they are not as cold hardy as spinach (should that be a duh on my part?). In December, I sowed directly into a 12 x 4 foot bed, hand broadcasting & then covered with straw. Worked great for the spinach. The beets? Not so much. Let us know how your method works & I may try to emulate.
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote