Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 10, 2006   #1
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Default My Dr. Caroyln is sick (Spotted Wilt Virus)

My Dr. Caroyln white cherry was doing fantastic, about 5 feet tall, lots of blooms, had set about 50 fruits. Then bam! This week the bottom leaves turned yellow and leaves at the top starting getting wilted. It almost looks like overwatering, but I checked the soil in the earthbox, it is moist but not damp.

Maybe it is some sort of wilt?

So this morning I perfomed some radical surgery on the good Doctor. I cut off all the wilted and yellow leaves (about 25% of the plant) and sprayed her down with some seaweed / fish emulsion.

Here is hoping! If anybody has some suggestions, I am certainly open to them. I will let you know how the surgery turns out.

Tim
Old June 12, 2006   #2
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Well after a few days the yellowing of leaves continues and now the leaves have spots. Sadly I had to tear Dr. Carolyn out of her earthbox and throw her down near the property line. I just hope the other plants don't catch it.

Looking at the spots it looks like tomato spotted wilt virus.. just like the images that Lee Post here http://tomatoville.com/viewtopic.php?t=1592
Old June 17, 2006   #3
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Funny story.

My yard service came and cut my lawn, edged everything etc... A couple days later I was inspecting my other tomatoes. I got so depressed! Looked like I needed to pull to more tomato plants, they had brown spots on them. I just couldn't bring myself to do it . That night it rained and the spots disappered! The plants were not sick, the spots were dirt!

and to think my worrying almost needlessly pulled two plants.