Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 30, 2006   #1
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Default Plants NOT affected by Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus

Alright, this year was bad. Seems alot of people, like me, got hit hard with the dreaded spotted wilt virus.

What is interesting is that I all my plants where touching other, yet not all got the virus. I am interested in which plants survived in your garden, if it was hit by TSWV.

In mine the
Japanese Oxheart,
SFT,
Momotoro,
Black From Tula
Siberia (not Siberian)
Cherokee Purple all did well.

Brandywine (4 fruits before RIP),
Dr. Caroyln (0 fruits before RIP),
Mariannes Peace (10 fruits before RIP),
Stump of the World (12 fruits before RIP)
Persimmon (3 fruits before RIP)
not so good they all shriveled up and died.

So maybe we can see if certain varieties are more resistant?

EDIT NOTE: Cherokee Purple DID NOT do well, the plant was Grub's Mystery Green. CP and GMG shared the same box, CP is a nasty mess. GMG is quite healty.
Old July 1, 2006   #2
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure the virus is spread from plant to plant. My plants with TSWV are all spread out through the garden. I've pulled two thirds of my plants.

I've been picking cherry tomatoes daily and I finally have a Turkey Chomp turning out there. I was beginning to fear I wouldn't have any larger fruit to pick this year! I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll be able to keep the few plants I have left.

Good luck!
Old July 1, 2006   #3
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Thrips (Thysanoptera) are tiny, slender insects with fringed wings (thus the scientific name, from the Greek thysanos (fringe) + pteron (wing)). Other common names include Thunderflies or Thunderbugs. Thrips species feed on a large variety of sources both plant and animal by puncturing them and sucking up the contents. A large number of thrips species are considered pests, because they feed on plants with commercial value. Some species of thrips feed on other insects or mites and are considered beneficial, while some feed on fungal spores or pollen. So far around 5000 species has been described.

Thrips are generally tiny (1 mm long or less) and are not good flyers - though they can be carried long distances by the wind. In the right conditions many species can explode in population and swarm everywhere, making them an irritant to humans.

The word thrips is used in both the singular and plural tenses (as in sheep). So while there may be many thrips there can also be a solitary thrips. The word thrips is from Greek, meaning Wood Louse. (Ref: Kirk, W. D. J. (1996). Thrips. Naturalists’ Handbooks 25. The Richmond Publishing Co. Ltd.).
Old July 1, 2006   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

You can scratch Cherokee Purple off your list.

While this variety holds up well against most of what's
out there, (particularly fusarium) it took a major
nose dive in 02 to TSWV.

Cuostralee has survived two year's worth of attacks, but
as pointed out, I suspect random luck in that case.....

Lee
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2006   #5
timcunningham
Tomatovillian™

Lee,

After reading your post I went out into the garden, and noticed that CP did not do too well after all. I was trying to think of the list from memory. See the EDIT NOTE on my original post.