Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old August 12, 2008   #16
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

my Tomato sense was tingling. Missed you guys last year, dad had just gotten out of the hospital, and my seed starting was a joke this year, so I didnt make it to the swap. Got some maters from Funkes down on Grey road, and am anxiously awaiting them turning color!
Old August 12, 2008   #17
hunter
Tomatovillian™

Looks like I'll be missing it, too. My hockey team ended up making it to the league championship game - which is this Sunday during the Taste Fest.

Hope everyone has a great time! Take lots of pictures for us!
Old August 13, 2008   #18
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

Looks like we're going to have good weather.

Looks like the forecast changed. Oh well!! Wait awhile and it will change again.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...4&from=weekend
Old August 14, 2008   #19
richardm
Tomatovillian™

Default I'll be there...

I will certainly be there....tomatoes are a bit off this year and late. Not sure how many I'll be able to bring....but I'm sure I will bring an appetite.

Mark
Old August 14, 2008   #20
Toe Knee
Tomatovillian™

Amy and I are hoping to make it this year. Looking forward to seeing the gang. Good results with many of the new swaps from the May plant exhange! Much fun...

Toe Knee
Old August 15, 2008   #21
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default CHOPTAG Tomato Tasting

I have looked forward to the Tomato Tasting all year and had planned on attending but find it best to stay home

I have a number of health issues presently; I have given this serious thought and think it is in my best interest to remain at home.that day.. I had a bad fall while visiting Bert's garden alone in May and was just getting over that. I had another hard fall on Saturday after visiting the Norton Common's Farmer's Market. I tire easy to the point of exhaustion after the simplest task.The heat just sucks the energy out of me due to my congestive heart failure and shortness of breath. In May while I was having my Defibrillator downloaded they discovered that I had Atrial Fibulation(Irregular heart beat). They performed an echo graham on my heart. I was sent to the lab and had my blood tested and it was too thick and started me on Warfarin, a blood thinner. Now I am all black and blue from the falls; looks like I have had a brawl and got the worst of the action! lol
Hope your tomatoes and gardens are producing well. Please give my regards to all who are there. I will be thinking of each of you on Sunday. Tell Craig, I am sorry to have missed meeting him.
Looking forward to reports on size and best in taste. I really have some good ones this year. The Kentucky Pink Stamper( from one of Earls tomatoes) has out done itself. I had one which was 2 lbs 2 3/4 ozs with others in the 1 lb plus range. Trying to do a little seed saving here as I feel like it.

Gary
Old August 16, 2008   #22
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

Hello I tasted some of mine early. So far olena ukranian wins.I will miss you all. Susan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0127.jpg (35.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0145.jpg (39.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0158.jpg (41.0 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by tootaloo; August 16, 2008 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old August 16, 2008   #23
tootaloo
Tomatovillian™

Some more to taste. Yummm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0144.jpg (39.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0147.jpg (44.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0157.jpg (44.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0155.jpg (23.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0149.jpg (42.4 KB, 21 views)
Old August 16, 2008   #24
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

I have tried everything to get my maters to ripen this week. Even went out there and danced around them. I've got 3 or 4 in a bag trying to ripen them up with some bananas but it's doubtful they'll be ready. So ..I've only got a cherry variety and a Kellogg's Breakfast to share so far. I'll bring the not quite ripe ones anyway to prove I really have tomatoes Looking forward to meeting you all.
Old August 17, 2008   #25
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

yeah. we had 3 De Barrao black ripen, had 3 patio ripen 2 weeks ago.

coming out to meet folks for a little while anyways!
Old August 17, 2008   #26
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default The Millwood Tomato Tasting & BLT Bash

Since I could not make it to the CHOPTAG Tomato Taste Fest, the family decided we would get together for a Tomato Tasting and BLT Bash !
I cut the varieties of tomatoes and placed them on a Tasting Plate where everyone could taste them. They selected their choice and proceeded to make the BLT with their choice of tomato and the fixings. Results of the tasting are listed below.This may become an annual event for the family here. Sure miss seeing all of you good folks today!
Gary

First Place

J.D.’s Special C-Tex: 80 days, indeterminate., pink/black beefsteak fruit, 12-20 oz, outstanding flavor, high yield, a Brandywine x unknown black cross and stabilized by the late JD Whitaker in Conroe, TX.

These two a tie – Second Place

In 2006 I tasted the Unknown Kentucky Heirloom aka Kentucky Pink Stamper at our CHOPTAG Tomato Tasting Carolyn Male shared a few seed with me labeled Unknown Kentucky Heirloom and I germinated some seed but the plants did not live to produce Mary in PNW sent me a few seed and last year Earl shared a tomato left over from last years Tasting and I saved seed from it. Mary Klacson of Eugene, OR had received tomato seed called Unknown Kentucky Heirloom from James A. Stamper who resided in Dwarf, KY. He said his family had been growing this variety and a Kentucky White Pole Bean for as long as he could remember. Since the tomato had no name, Mary Klacsan, Eugene, OR, named it Kentucky Pink Stamper for the Stamper family.
Kentucky Pink Stamper: 90 days, indeterminate., potato leaf, good yield of 10-18 oz pink beefsteak fruit, very good flavor.The largest tomato so far this summer has been the KPS at 2 lbs 4 3/8 ozs.

Beauty King: 80 days, indeterminate, regular leaf with high yield of 5-10 oz yellow and red bi-color fruit, very good flavor.

These two a tie--- Third Place

Heart Of Compassion: A huge, 4 to 5-inch, slightly flattened, jade-pink, heart-shaped, very meaty heirloom tomato with thin skin, few seeds and terrific taste.

Sunset’s Red Horizon: An excellent red-pink variety of an old fashioned Oxheart; fruits are medium sized and thick/meaty and possess old fashioned tomato taste. 80 days.

Cherry Types: Sungold First Place , Red Robin
Old August 17, 2008   #27
fenneltop
Tomatovillian™

I am sure other folks at the tasting will be reporting the results of the tasting soon. This is not what concerns me. Of interest to me is the corruption that seems to have infiltrated the upper ranks of choptags administration. Its seems that Mr. President and ballot counter won two of the three categories on the ballot.
Seems mighty suspicious to me. An investigation might me inline.

Mark
Old August 17, 2008   #28
Earl
Tomatovillian™

My Dear Funneltop:
How DARE! you insult the integrity of our PRESIDENT! You must work for IHT network [I Hate Tomatoes]. I assure you, Dear Sir! I saw the President drop a few ballots, and after picking them up, he only paused to scratch his rear-end, not tuck them away in his hip pocket. As the unoffical phototaker I may have a picture to prove him innocent. I WILL check my camera.

Well, for flyin' toads, I checked and I think you may have a case. :-) You know, I heard a rumor that he was seen Saturday, stopped at a roadside veggie stand in Montana, buying heirloom tomatoes.
Old August 18, 2008   #29
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Sunset’s Red Horizon: An excellent red-pink variety of an old fashioned Oxheart; fruits are medium sized and thick/meaty and possess old fashioned tomato taste. 80 days.

Gary, Sunset's Red Horizon, a renamed variety called Rostova, should not be an oxheart, rather, it should be a beefsteak and it's a nice deep red.

I don't know where your seeds are from but I think there's a thread here discussing Rostova and pointing out that the SRH sold by Tomatofest in the past few years is not correct and is heart shaped, which it shouldn't be. And wasn't when Gary first listed it b'c someone sent me a pack and it grew out as a beefsteak as it should.

I remember that the folks who first offered Rostova from whom Gary got the seeds said they were going to try and clean things up and try to get back the real Rostova.
Old August 18, 2008   #30
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Thanks, Carolyn,

Laurel sends me her Heirloom Tomato Plants Newsletter. Some time last winter I made some comments on her plants and in a drawing she sent me five packages of seed from Tomatofest (other wise I would not be growing any Tomatofest Seed). Sunset’s Red Horizon was one of the varieties sent.
Yes, I had recalled that it was a renamed Russian variety, Rostova, which I have not grown. I did not remember that it was the wrong shape.
Gary

Dave’s Plamt Files

On Aug 30, 2003, anioleka from Grants Pass, OR wrote:
The Rostova Tomato, also known now as "Sunset's Red Horizon" is known as “Rostovskaya Krasno Ispolin” in Russia. This Russian name literally translates to mean "Red Giant of Rostov".http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/179668/
Sunset's Red Horizon Tomato In 2001, we introduced our famous Rostova Tomato to gardeners worldwide. On Ebay.com, prices as high $50 per packet were paid for Rostova seed by tomato enthusiasts who knew an excellent tomato when they saw one. In 2003, in con★★★★★★★★ with Sunset Magazine, Tomatofest of California re-introduced this variety (with our blessing) under the name Sunset's Red Horizon. The variety received loads of national press and became very much in demand. In 2005, we were able to trial seed bred down from Tomatofest offerings and were immediately struck by the fact that the resulting plants and tomatoes were not identical to the original Rostova variety. Though they had many of the excellent qualities of the original, the fruits were somewhat smaller, tended to be more heart-shaped and there was also more of a tendency toward a more upright, strurdier vine. The tomatoes were also faster maturing. Starting in late 2005, we split the variety into two breeding programs - Rostova Extra Special Selection (which were bred down exclusively from the few remnants of the original imported seed collected in Russia in 1999) and Sunset's Red Horizon (exclusively down from Tomatofest stock). Our intention is to eventually offer Sunset's Red Horizon and Rostova Extra Special Selection side by side. (Note: Rostova Extra Special Selection is due to be available again in the Fall of 2007).
Sunset's Red Horizon is an excellent red-pink variety of an old fashioned Oxheart shape that is borne on sturdy, disease resistant vines. The fruits are medium sized and are incredibly dense, thick meated and possess an honest old fashioned tomato taste that beats store bought tomatoes hands down. Highly recommended for cool and wet northern climates. 80 days. http://www.seedfest.co.uk/seeds/tomatoes/red/red.html

Rostova #3266 Tomato Growers Supply 2008 catalog lists it as oxheart
Medium-sized, pink-red oxheart tomatoes are absolutely delicious with complex, rich taste and an excellent balance of sugar and acid. The meaty fruit is borne heavily on plants that continue throughout a long season. Brought to this country by a Russian man and named for his home of Rostov City, this tomato is also being sold as "Sunset's Red Horizon." Indeterminate. 85 days. http://www.tomatogrowers.com/Oxhearts.htm