Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 30, 2019   #1
old-oaken
Tomatovillian™

Default Bright wrinkly foliage 3rd generation (unlike orig. parent plant)

Is this anything? In 2017, I grew a few Kitayskiy Oksamitoviy plants from seeds purchased from Tatiana's Tomatobase. It is a gorgeous plant, with fuzzy blue-green leaves. I loved having it in my garden, so I saved the seeds and in 2018 ended up growing 32 to both grow and give away to friends to spread the beauty of this variety around a little bit. One of the seedlings grew very slowly, with bright yellow-green leaves... foliage was wrinkly and odd. I tossed this plant in my garden almost as an afterthought, and it surprised me by producing tasty golf ball-sized tomatoes similar but lighter than Kitayskiy Oksamitoviy. I saved seeds from one of these and started three seeds this spring. One germinated, and it looks exactly like the parent plant. It's getting special attention in a grow bag this year.

Bottom line is that I love the vivid bright green of this plant. Is this special or of note in any way or not? Is this foliage of any interest to breeders? Do I have my own chance cross variety on my hands? If so, I'd call it something like "Kit-Ok Weakling" in homage to its parent plant and because it grew like a runt. Anyway, here is what it looks like:

kitokweakling.jpg

Here is the tomatobase page for the original plant: http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/K...iy_Oksamytoviy
old-oaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019   #2
nyrfan
Tomatovillian™

I also purchased Kitayskiy Oksamitoviy from Tatiana in 2017 (seed crop: 2014).

The 1st year I got a a chartreuse woolly (see below) & a regular, green-leaved non-woolly but did not save seeds as neither was according to type.

All 6 plants grown from that original packet last season & this are the familiar form (2nd pic).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kitayskiy Oksamitoviy 2.jpg (394.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg Kitayskiy Oksamitoviy.jpg (648.6 KB, 64 views)

Last edited by nyrfan; May 31, 2019 at 03:30 PM.
nyrfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2019   #3
old-oaken
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
I also purchased Kitayskiy Oksamitoviy from Tatiana in 2017 (seed crop: 2014).

The 1st year I got a a chartreuse woolly (see below) & a regular, green-leaved non-woolly but did not save seeds as neither was according to type.

All 6 plants grown from that original packet last season & this are the familiar form (2nd pic).
Thanks for the photos! So there's definitely a bit of genetic variation there in that particular batch of seeds. Helpful to know.

I think I'll keep growing out this line just because the foliage is so bright. Brighter chartreuse even than my other favorite eye-catcher, Balkan Tiger.
old-oaken is offline   Reply With Quote