Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 13, 2013   #1
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default What are the rules for growing sweet peppers in a container?

I'm new to gardening and growing veggies. I have two city pickers self watering containers with zucchini and tomatoes so far and I'd like to try a third container of sweet peppers. But after having troubles with one of my Tommy's its become apparent there rules to container tomato growing I wasn't aware of.

So before I go out, spend more money and plant more plants.
What should and shouldn't I do? Would another city pickers planter be ok? I'd like something on casters like that and self watering. Which is why I'm temped to buy another. Is there certain types of bell peppers I'm suposed to know about? Like the tomatoes being determinate or indeterminate (which I don't know about, or that its better to not plant them in their biodegradable pots).

Thanks in advance
SmittenGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #2
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

For what it's worth, my MIL is growing a very happy looking green pepper plant in a 13" swc with Miracle Grow. It only has a couple of peppers on it, but, hey, it can be done.

Tl
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2013   #3
roadrunner
Tomatovillian™

I've grown peppers successfully for several years in both earthboxes and city pickers. Basically I used a soil mix of five parts spaghmum peat, two parts vermiculite and one part perlite. After a few years I found the best sucess with less fertilizer than suggested, I use 1-1/2 cups 5-10-5 instead of 2 of 10-10-10 and will spray with fish emulation and some Epsom salts after fruits develop. The only other thing I've found is i got my best yield from six plants, not the eight they recommend for the "city picker."

Add sun and you will get amazing results. Good Luck.
Old May 13, 2013   #4
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thank you...

I'll pester my hubby for a new planter and pepper plants we have to go there either tonight or tomorrow anyway. I think we have a cabbage looper problem with the zucchinis and I want to go. Buy a few thousand lady bugs and wage war on them.

But I'm glad the city pickers will support some peppers. We go through a lot of peppers and zucchini when we buy fresh.
Old May 15, 2013   #5
BennB
Tomatovillian™

I don't know how the lady bugs will like the cabbage looper's, but I had aphid problems last year and bought 10,000 ladybugs on-line and let them go on the affected plants and they crawled out and just started going to town on them. I don't know why I was surprised...I guess I thought they would be like a new cat and hide under the bed for a couple days...but nope! Problem was once they had eaten they all flew off and I had to go through the process a couple times (along with some good old soap spray and hose blasts) to get things under control.
BennB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #6
gnol
Tomatovillian™

Hi SmittenGarden,
I grow a few in pots depending on how many pots and seedlings I have left over.
This one was grown in a pot that is about 20 litres. You can just see the top of the pot in the bottom of the pic.
I think I used about 50% compost and 50% potting mix and kept the water up as well as giving it a good feed a couple of times.

It was labelled Marconi.

gnol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2013   #7
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

thank you for the replys

thats one beautiful pepper plant! I've held off the pepper plants for now. just because I'm still having trouble with the loopers on my zucchinis.. and possibly found two aphids. i don't know i thought they were eggs from loopers. but they were green and had the tiniest of legs.

couldn't get the ladybugs...as no one has them in stock right now. I may have to order them from the internet.

once that is sorted and we have whats left planted I'd like to get some peppers. before they stop selling them in store.
Old May 16, 2013   #8
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Smitten - I highly recommend Earthbox planters. a bit later in the season they will show up on Amazon and Ozbo in the $35.00 range, often with free shipping
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #9
BarbJ
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
Smitten - I highly recommend Earthbox planters. a bit later in the season they will show up on Amazon and Ozbo in the $35.00 range, often with free shipping
I second this! They're great, I've had very good success with them. They produce way more than you would think for the size.
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2013   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun City Linda View Post
I have 27 of them. They had a special in Dec of last year to get them with replant kits, casters, and the red plastic mulch for under $30, so I bought 5. Never saw them give so much for so cheap before!
Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013   #11
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

Ill look into the earth box thanks

I already have two city pickers...I think they are similar and they were $30 each now at home depot. I might switch my tomatoes up a bit and transplant to bigger pots. If I do that then I might put the peppers in the city pickers planter that I have my tomato plants in.
Old May 19, 2013   #12
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

BT (Dipel, Thuricide) will take care of your looper problem better than Ladybugs.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #13
SmittenGarden
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=rockhound;349276]BT (Dipel, Thuricide) will take care of your looper problem better than Ladybugs.[/QUOTE

That's what I've been told too. But I thought since they are listed as preditors of the looper and aphids that they might reduce the need to treat with bt frequently.