Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 17, 2015   #1
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Default Burpee's seed rack prices?!?!?!?!?!

Okay, yesterday I stopped at home depot with my husband for a snow shovel and thought I would look at the seed rack because I needed some herbs. I just glanced through it and thought no, I have a 10.00 rebate for menards and I would spend the "$" there. Has anyone ever noticed that the pre price is different from home depot/Lowes to a place (menards) that has specials and discounts their seeds 40% off? the same lavender today was 2.29 at Menards with a 40% off pre-printed display but at Lowe's tonight they were 1.37 no discount? I looked at all both displays( to make sure I wasn't hallucinating) today and was shocked at the difference in price from one pre print to the other. So, in all reality, Lowe's and home depot were no more expensive than Menards at the end of the day.
Old February 17, 2015   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I frequent Menards a fair amount. I think they like to do their goofy rebates instead of just having lower prices because they know a lot of people won't bother mailing them in. One time we were loading things into our van and another lady was loading a whole bunch of stuff into her wagon next to us. I mentioned something about good time to buy with the 11% rebate and she had no clue what I was talking about. Both my wife and I had grabbed a rebate slip, so we gave her one.

I much prefer Home Depot to Menards, at least for the customer service. The customer service @ Home Depot seems a notch above Menards. But the biggest beef I have with Menards is how they instruct their cashiers to treat their customers like common criminals. One time we had a flat bed of things--some bark mulch, composted manure, potting mix and other things and the upper middle aged cashier started taking all the bags off and was really struggling with them, instead of scanning the barcodes that were easily visible. I asked what she was doing and she told me she had to remove them all to make sure items were not snuck between. She said that's how they were trained. Knowing she'd rather keep her job than not following her instructions, I helped her move the bags because they were heavy, but then talked to the manager about how ridiculous their policy is and how that is no way to treat a customer. The manager basically agreed and encouraged me to contact their corporate office. I did so, but never heard back. Since then I've tried to go to HD more as well as our 'local' hardware store in town.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

The rebate wasnt for the seeds. I was using a rebate from a previous purchase. I was referring to the difference in the pre price between Menards and the other big box home improvement stores. It was just eye opening to me to see the difference between them. You never see a sale on the seeds at lowes or home depot. at least I never have.
Old February 18, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Here locally, there is a TSC that always has Burpee seeds at 25% off. I paid $1.72 for a pack of Daisies the other day. Same with a pack of SSC 100. The same seed pack sold at many other stores sell for $2.29.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #5
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I can't confirm cuz I have not checked recently, but in years past when I saw the same Burpee seeds at a private nursery and Walmart, at first I flipped at the higher prices at the nursery. But when I looked closer, the ones at Walmart weighed less. Yes, they looked exactly the same but you had to look at the net weight.
But that was then, I don't know about now.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #6
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Burpee requires Home Depot, Lowe's, WalMart, etc. to destroy their unsold seeds by wetting the seed packets with water, prior to disposing of them in the dumpster. (I watched the local HD do it a couple of years ago.)

This is a such a waste, especially when they could donate the seeds to a local entity that would make use of them, such as a school, 4-H, community garden group, etc.

I don't buy anything from Burpee, especially since they sell Brandy Boy as an F1 hybrid when in fact, it is not.

Screw you, George Ball.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #7
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischka View Post
Burpee requires Home Depot, Lowe's, WalMart, etc. to destroy their unsold seeds by wetting the seed packets with water, prior to disposing of them in the dumpster. (I watched the local HD do it a couple of years ago.)

This is a such a waste, especially when they could donate the seeds to a local entity that would make use of them, such as a school, 4-H, community garden group, etc.

[/B]
I'm appalled by that. I need a few herb seeds--I will make sure I get them at our local garden center and not buy Burpee.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #8
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

A couple of years ago I was in HD in the Fall and they had all the seasons leftovers out on a table for $0.10 a pack. Not a single one was wet. I stocked up.

Quote:

I don't buy anything from Burpee, especially since they sell Brandy Boy as an F1 hybrid when in fact, it is not.

Screw you, George Ball.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #9
sdambr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

So if we saved seeds from Brandy Boy they would come true?

Is it another tomato variety disguised with a different name?
sdambr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #10
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

Screw you, George Ball.
Yep!!! It's the same as I see in much of mega conglomerate corporations, greed, greed and more greed. And selfish, selfish, and more selfishness. What ever happened to the anti-trust laws that were suppose to protect the citizens from being taken advantage of and the small business owners from getting pushed out or eaten up by these predators. This is not a rant. It's just the facts.
Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; February 18, 2015 at 04:03 PM. Reason: Grammer
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #11
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Mischka, I had no idea Burpee does that. I agree, no more Burpee for me either.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2015   #12
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I think it is a total waste myself, too. On the other hand there a couple and just a couple of varieties that I buy that only they sell that I need for my market. The rest I leave. Otherwise I wouldn't buy any of them either. Their catalog prices are unbelievable. WHO buys them? HOW do they afford to send me 4 count them so far 4 FOUR catalogs for this season. Does anybody else get them regularly? They do have pretty pictures in them though.