Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2016   #61
M.SeanF.
Tomatovillian™

I checked on my 2 BCC plants Sunday and they both have their first heavy set of fruit. A couple of fruits fell off as I was tying some of the succkers to the stake. Both were still very green, but the smaller one had a little give to it. On a whim I took a bite, expecting a spitter. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste. Not sweet yet, but not at all bitter. Sort of tasted like tomatillo, cucumber and citrus, on the mild side. Encouraged, I tried the bigger, firmer one. Also not bitter. They taste like the finished tomato will be pretty mild, but pleasant. I'm really looking forward to trying them when ripe.

Sean
M.SeanF. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2016   #62
Merediana
Tomatovillian™

Some time has passed and I tried some more fruits. I must say, they've gotten better. The flavor is still weak but pleasant. I gave some away to friends and most liked it because they don't have a weird aftertaste and are not acidic.
So good for people who like mild, lightly sweet tomatoes. For me, they are not exciting but not a spitter either.

The production is still crazy.
Merediana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2016   #63
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

BCC vs Ildi...
BCC produces tons of cherry tomatoes, Ildi produces lots but not as much as BCC.
Ildi wins my taste test!
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #64
rocketFOOD
Tomatovillian™

This year is my first time trying this. I have some BCC plants in solo cups but they have been super slow. I started 10 or so other varieties and all plants started at same time have second sets of true leaves going. My BCC plants are like 1cm tall and barely starting their first true leaves. Is this common for this variety? I started 5-6 seeds and germination has been good but all are going very slow.

Brad Gates says this thing goes like crazy, can grow in the crack in a sidewalk. Not sure what is going on with it.
rocketFOOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2018   #65
Ann123
Tomatovillian™

I don't remember how my bcc was as a seedling but when planted out he was one of the smallest plants. He produced maybe 10 times more as an average cherry.
I wasn't crazy about the taste but it's production was indeed absolutely crazy.
Ann123 is offline   Reply With Quote