Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 15, 2016   #1
JerryHaskins
Tomatovillian™

Default Few seeds in packages nowadays

I am not sure where (or if) I should post this, but this year I have been forced to buy seeds (such as tomato, english pea, and summer squash seeds) in big box stores.

That is because all of the small, family owned stores and co-op stores in the area have closed.

What I am noticing is that national brand seed companies are putting tiny amounts of seeds in the standard size seed packets.

I am of the old school, when I used to buy bulk seeds by the "scoop".

Today I planted 2 packages of summer squash and I counted the seeds in each:

There was a total of 40 seeds in the two packages.

I felt like I was burying gold coins!

Surely, the cost of the package and transportation of the seeds (and spoilage of seeds that do not get bought) far exceeds tha cost of the seeds themselves.
JerryHaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

I've noticed it too. Flowers and veggies alike. The "cheap" priced packages you know not to expect more than a few seeds. But even the expensive ones, hardly give you any seed any more. I sometimes wish I could open the packets at the store to see how many seeds are in there. Nothing more frustrating than getting home and discovering you don't have enough seeds for the production you want to do.

There's still a few places around here that sell by the scoop, but you have to watch and look at the seed good. I look at the bottom of those bins as alot of them will have dead bugs that hatched from the seed while sitting there.

Have you got a local Ag CO-OP around there? They usually have good quality seed and you get more than seed for 3 squash plants like in a package.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #3
JerryHaskins
Tomatovillian™

We have a small co-op but it has closed and opened several times over the past few years. I stopped by there yesterday. They mostly sell horse, dog, and chicken food and such---no plants or seeds at all now.

Last fall I ordered some spinach seeds from "Seeds from Italy" after reading about them here. I got 3 VERY generous packages of seeds---but I like to buy seeds over the counter whenever possible.
JerryHaskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I bought a pack of Suncherry Extra Sweet Hybrid tomato seeds. There are 12 seeds in the pack.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #5
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I'll second "Seeds From Italy" for a generous amount of seeds in a package.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #6
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

A third vote for Seeds from Italy if they have what you need.

I know the local CSA farmer ordered most of her seed from Fedco because they offered good quality seed and various quantities.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15, 2016   #7
imp
Tomatovillian™

I can suggest E & R seed co., they are quite reasonable and generous with the seed counts. You can buy by the packet, ounce or pound sort of thing and their seed is very good quality.

Bad side, maybe, it's all by snail mail, nothing online. I buy from them often, especially for lettuces and such as the prices are so much better.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #8
oakley
Tomatovillian™

My experience you have chosen the most expensive way to get your seeds in 2016.
Lots of mom and pops on the internet. No longer the snail-mail like in the past, except for a few but you need to plan ahead going that route.

It seems they need to keep the pack price down so they have to skimp somewhere.

Better off going the internet route for the best prices and choices. If you need variety and have a small garden i like Artistic gardenshttp://www.artisticgardens.com/index.aspx
A good selection and 50cent packets. I've not ordered in years but that is how i started out back when they were 25cents.

Johnny's is my go-to for good quality and when i find myself out of my basics. So many good choices out there...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #9
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I would never expect much from seed sold at Home depot or Wal-Mart. Low or zero germination rates, improper storage, inappropriate varieties for the local climate, etc.

It seems the days of browsing thru catalogs is in the past, everything can be done online easy. Fair pricing and generally excellent quality is just a few clicks and you don't even have to get dressed up and drive into town.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #10
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

A few weeks back I finally decided to sow some tomato seed that I bought 2 or 3 years ago from Southern States. 2 packs of "Cherries Jubilee". For the life of me I can't remember the brand. It was one of the "Organic-Gourmet-FooFoo" brands that is way over priced. I might have got them on clearance.

Anyways, the packs said 15 seeds. So I wrongly assumed I would have at least 30 seeds. NO. I counted 11 seeds. 11 Seeds total between 2 packs that should have yielded 30 or so. I was fuming.

Beat all.. horrible germination.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
I would never expect much from seed sold at Home depot or Wal-Mart. Low or zero germination rates, improper storage, inappropriate varieties for the local climate, etc.

I buy from lowes/walmart/HD when I am needing something quick (because I forgot to order it with my seed order), but I would not say that I have noticed poor germination. They don't store any seeds. as soon as they come from the company they go to the floor. as soon as the season is over back they go. no clearance ever on seeds up here from any of the bb stores. I have had really poor germination hit and miss. It doesn't seem to be one specific company.

Berlin Seed is another great source for seeds. You need to call and order a catalog since they are Amish, but they have phones are dependable and reliable and will ship as soon as you want it. 1 877. 464.0892
Old March 22, 2016   #12
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

With OP large seeds I expect 20-30, hybrids about 12.

With small seeds, it's completely unknown. Seed racks are usually 25-50 OP, hybrids the same dozen or so.

With some small sellers it can be 500 to 1,000+. This "problem" leaves me with way more seeds than I could ever plant. So, I take my problem to the trading forum, shortly.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #13
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

I helped a fellow member buy seeds for a variety called Annelise F1 from Lindbloms.se in Sweden, and bought a packet for myself. There were 5 seeds/packet, and they cost nearly $2/seed incl. shipping and handling. Now that's crazy (and so am I)!

At least the 2 I sowed a few days ago both germinated.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #14
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

When browsing the gardening section at local supermarkets, I often check the tomato seed packets for content. Many varieties (a bit more interesting ones, such as Ildi and SunGold) only have a few seeds (!) - yes, five or six is normal.
I have had more generous amounts from private swaps, and the germination rate has always been excellent as well...
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2016   #15
Bulldog
Tomatovillian™

Many of the online sources have the options for larger amounts of seed, and the price is often 2-3 dollars more than the basic seed packet. Southern exposure seed exchange, johnnys, as well as smaller companies.
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote