Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 1, 2018   #2296
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

bipolar weather here the last three days.
friday and saturday it was sunny and mid 80s interrupted at intervals with thunder storms with heavy rain. one time we had hail. the temp would go from mid 80s to 59 when a squall moved in. every once in awhile a burst of wind would come screaming through. today has been mostly overcast, rained heavily at times. i think some of us here are snake bit regarding the rain after the flood we had, but no further damage so far. clean up is coming along, still a ways to go. many people continue to pitch in.
seen around town is the slogan "we are copper country strong."

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2018   #2297
imp
Tomatovillian™

I am sorry your weather is so crazy, hard to plan on what to start on with it still being volatile like that. I feel sad that I was whining about my weather, you've got much bigger problems up there. Those wind bursts are dangerous. Please stay safe as you can.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2018   #2298
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Been hot, sunny, and still here. I picked a great time to put a fence! I got four posts augered and tamped on Sat, six yesterday. Okra is starting to take off, so at least there is some good from this heat.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2018   #2299
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Hard to find any shade this time of year along buildings.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2018   #2300
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It was 105F here at our house yesterday. It's forecasted to be that hot officially at DFW today. Tomorrow, there will be more humidity and a 20% chance of rain. That's typical July weather here.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2018   #2301
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Heat index just hit 110 F.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2018   #2302
bower
Tomatovillian™

Here we are into the 'normal' summer weather... high temperatures in the low 70's, humidex into the low 80's. We've been having fog and drizzle in the morning, and very light breezes NE are cool if not cold, nicer this afternoon with more wind but SW which is warm.

I baked bread today and made pizza for supper, and it wasn't unbearably hot in the house, just open a couple windows.

My son was reading after supper, the number of people who have died so far in the heat wave in Montreal where they live.
I was looking at the Sea Surface Temperature maps last night. The water all around us is three degrees colder than normal, and this is keeping us cool, if 'normal' wasn't enough.

I just don't know how you folks cope with the extreme heat. Feel for you. I'm not a fan of lousy cold summers either but.... there's a limit to what anyone could consider nice.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2018   #2303
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I took a break the other day at 1-2 pm to put in some okra at my aunt's. My cousin, who grew up here but lived in Sugarland for a while, came and helped for a couple minutes, then said it was too hot, and that she had to go inside. This is the conversation as I remember it.

I said, what!? Didn't you live in Texas? It's HOT there!

She says, yeah, but it wasn't bad, really, it would be 105 but it was a dry heat. It's sooo humid here.

I said, really? 105 wasn't bad?

She says, no. It was never like this. I'm sweating already.

I said, wait. When you were in Texas, were you outside at 2pm? Or were you inside in the AC?

She says, oh inside, it was too hot to go out in the middle of the day.
Old July 3, 2018   #2304
imp
Tomatovillian™

105 here right now, 23% humidity. Sky is clear The lower humidity makes it less bad than a higher humidity, but it's still darn hot. I have the normal for me summer heat sickness, lack of appetite and if I eat much more than a couple bites, I get nausea for a bit, but that always has happened to me in the heat. But the coolness will return, some day, LOL, but I strongly suspect we shall have a hot fall this year, too.

Last edited by imp; July 3, 2018 at 08:41 PM.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2018   #2305
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

From: https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/lo.../287-570428367

Johnson County declares disaster over wildfire threat, banning fireworks

"County Judge Rodger Harmon wrote in the declaration filed Tuesday afternoon that the county "is under imminent threat of severe damage, injury, or loss of life or property" from possible wildfires.

Author: WFAA
Published: 5:49 PM CDT July 3, 2018
Updated: 8:47 PM CDT July 3, 2018

Johnson County officials on Tuesday declared a disaster over the threat of wildfires as drought conditions worsened this week.
County Judge Rodger Harmon wrote in the declaration filed Tuesday afternoon that the county "is under imminent threat of severe damage, injury, or loss of life or property" from possible wildfires."

While this choice was the safe one - it was done very last minute and I know it will upset a lot of locals. --- That includes our grandchildren, and they do understand that it is illegal to shoot off fireworks because of how dry it is here. I'm proud of them for understanding.

We put the fireworks we have away for a safer time.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #2306
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

This dry weather scares me as well. Yesterday there were huge popups south of us in chester co., and east of us in bucks co. I hoped it would hit here as well, but no, still dry as a bone here. We got 6 tenths from a fast mover last Thurs 4am, but many lawns are brown now.

A house down the street burned a few years back about 11pm on the night of the 4th. That year was the second or third year the new development people were shooting them off like crazy. I cannot believe their neighbors there abide it. Basically any type of rocket was illegal at that time. Down the street from me, there were also some new double homes thrown up next to the cemetery a while back. I saw people shooting them off there as well, on the gravel road between the house and cemetery. That night, the roof of the end double caught fire. Burned the roof and half the upstairs. Weeks later I read it was ruled an upstairs window AC unit that caught on fire, while a teenager was sleeping upstairs. At 11pm. On the 4th.

Did I mention the owner was a volunteer fireman? I couldn't even say for sure if there was an AC in that window, with me driving by it 6 times a day for years. The roof was fixed and house sold within the next year.

The next year was wet and the pyros more reserved. The last couple years it has gotten bad again.

This year it is as dry as it was the year of the roof fire, probably worse. The real kicker - our greedy state gov has seen $ $ and now made those type fireworks perfectly legal in PA in exchange for a 12% state sales tax on them. Supposedly the law also says you can't use them within 150 feet of any occupied building. And where is that, exactly, with who to enforce it? In someone's dry woods or in some farmer's field of raked wheat straw?

Last edited by JRinPA; July 4, 2018 at 09:25 AM.
Old July 4, 2018   #2307
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I accidentally caught a 5 dollar roll of firecrackers on fire in my bedroom in the 70's.
I was in the winter time and my mom came running in and freaked out.
fire crackers were popping all over the place and a huge mess to clean up but we both laughed about it.
Old July 4, 2018   #2308
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Our weather has been to horrid here this year that I have lost almost everything in my garden. Had to replant the corn and what has come up is a whopping 3" tall. We have had rain constantly well except when the sun comes out blazing to bake everything to a crisp and BAM more rain. Our weather is always strange here but this year takes the cake.
Farmers are freaking out and there are many many fields of soybeans NOT planted.
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4, 2018   #2309
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Got computer fixed was about to go outside and work on a project and it is pouring down rain.
I'll still take the rain.

Worth
Old July 4, 2018   #2310
bower
Tomatovillian™

Good to hear of a welcome rain!
I must say we got a real soaking the day before Canada Day, and I was really glad because of the same issue, fireworks here on the edge of the woods is insanity, and although we had enough rain recently we did have a dry winter with little snow, so there's more than plenty dry wood around to catch fire if it wasn't well hosed down by mother nature.
It was a lot safer here when fireworks were illegal, people would come out and shoot off their guns instead. Now every Tom Dick and Harry has to fire off ten kinds of who knows what to make his own show right in the backyard....
bower is offline   Reply With Quote