Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old June 5, 2015   #76
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Update: I only have 1 LT in the greenhouse. Took out #5. My garden LTs are about 18" high now with central leader extending nicely, but not laying towards ground yet. Comparing to other squash (growing out lots of my hybrid), I can see that the LTs are going to vine. This is the cool part. Most of the plants already have a couple branches. One has 3 besides the leader! I've seen a few mating squash bugs on my early prolific only so far. None on my hybrids or the LTs.

Had several iterations of #3. Best around baseball size or smaller. Softball size is really good too in soup (cooking now).

Steve and Justin, how are yours working out?

Monty

Last edited by monty71466; June 5, 2015 at 11:03 PM.
monty71466 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #77
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Hey Monty,

Thanks for the update. Mine are growing well. Not too big yet, but our weather is much warmer now. I should have an idea of habit better in the coming 1-2 weeks. I'll post some pictures once they get a bit bigger. The F1 plants are bigger than both my Lemon and Tatume plants started at the same time.

Justin
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #78
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Justin's F1's are still growing well in NE Florida. They are just a month old and climbing strongly. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1433872624.969607.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433872640.642543.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1433872651.789172.jpg
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2015   #79
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Steve! They look very healthy. Mine are doing well. It is raining now but I suspect my flowers will be in the coming week or two. I'll have to look more closely but it appears the Tatume sowed at the same time as the F1 is vining out slightly sooner, but the F1 is larger than the Lemon of the same age.
Old June 16, 2015   #80
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Default Garden LTs Producing

Squash habits same same as my greenhouse grows. Slight variances. Here's 5 fruit from 5 of the plants picked today.

Brent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LT16Jun15.jpg (289.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg Leaves.jpg (180.8 KB, 101 views)

Last edited by monty71466; June 16, 2015 at 07:40 PM.
Old June 17, 2015   #81
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

We just ate four of your F1's. They had excellent taste, they were quite a hit. Unfortunately, i just discovered a hatch of vine borers on all four plants. Nearly every unopened flower and all the baby fruit had a hole with a worm, and the growing tips of three of them had to be pruned. Hopefully I got them all! Luckily no damage to the lower stems at all.

Justin, I think you did good with your cross. The fruit is really good. One thing though, for such a large plant it doesnt really put out that many female flowers. This might change as it matures, maybe. The plants are only 6 weeks old.
Old June 17, 2015   #82
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the feedback guys! Glad to hear you are enjoying the F1! Brent, any clear winners in the fruit in terms of flavor or all pretty similar? Did all your greenhouse F1s have the green bottoms or only some? Steve, good luck with those evil SVBs. I like a lot of things about Tatume, its production is only so so though, I find Lemon produces better in my garden, so hopefully F2 will bring some differences in terms of production.

I've been meaning to snap some pictures of my Lemon, Tatume, and LT F1 to show how they are similar/different to each parent at this stage in their development. I don't have flowers open yet, but the Tatume is climbing, no climbing from the F1s yet.
Old June 17, 2015   #83
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys! Glad to hear you are enjoying the F1! Brent, any clear winners in the fruit in terms of flavor or all pretty similar? Did all your greenhouse F1s have the green bottoms or only some? Steve, good luck with those evil SVBs. I like a lot of things about Tatume, its production is only so so though, I find Lemon produces better in my garden, so hopefully F2 will bring some differences in terms of production.

I've been meaning to snap some pictures of my Lemon, Tatume, and LT F1 to show how they are similar/different to each parent at this stage in their development. I don't have flowers open yet, but the Tatume is climbing, no climbing from the F1s yet.
Haven't eaten the 5 in pic yet. Tonight is the plan. In GH, 3 had no green except where flower was. My favorite had the least "flower green". 2 had a wider green patch at flower and 1 had lots of green--up to half bleed.

The value of production may come into play once they start branching more. I'll double check garden LT habits.

My Lemons, planted at same time, aren't producing yet. They were late for me last year too.

Monty
Old June 17, 2015   #84
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Default LT Differences

The GH differences weren't environmental as I may have thought. The garden plants seems to be doing the same thing. Here are a couple more pics of differing fruit. I've seriously got my eye on the elongated one. I like the color and shape. Steve is right about the lack of females. It varies by plant in my garden. Some better than others.

I'm going to post right after this one on some thoughts as to potentially why the plants vary. Meanwhile, notice in the pic below that initially, the plant puts out a ton of males. Not all had this many, but most had a good bit. A couple are branching aggressively, but not all.

Brent
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LotsOfMales.jpg (252.0 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Type1.jpg (184.8 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg Type2.jpg (165.0 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg Type2Vine.jpg (274.2 KB, 85 views)
Old June 17, 2015   #85
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Default The Lemon is at Fault

I've included a couple pics of my Lemon squash. None are mature, but they are all exactly consistent among 15 or so plants (guess). This is my saved seed from last year. I bagged the male and female pollinating myself. Thing is, I don't remember the pronounced ribs last year. Justin, do your Lemon squash have these ridges? Anyway, I think the Lemon squash has acorn squash in its pedigree (just observation). I also think the Lemon might not be "finished" meaning that it wasn't fully stabilized. It can't be F1 because my plants are all the same. I think that because the Lemon isn't fully stable, it may be contributing to some mutation in Justin's LT hybrid. An F5, F6, and F7 generation can throw some differences still. Anyway, just thoughts. Here's the pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lemon1.jpg (239.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Lemon2.jpg (204.1 KB, 84 views)
Old June 17, 2015   #86
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Monty, how old are those LT crosses in your picture? Also, is it hot yet in your part of AZ? Its only just starting to get in the high 90's here. Usually this weather quickly kills off squash, we shall see. Other than the outbreak of vine borers they have been quite healthy.
Old June 17, 2015   #87
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting Monty. I never have had ridges in my Lemon squash, I never have saved Lemon seeds, my seed source for this is Baker Creek and my Lemon squash have always been the same from year to year. I think what you're saying is very possible and I also think simple inheritance does not seem to be the case with these hence some variability? (Based on my very rough understanding of plant genetics.)

I'm very intrigued by your longer shaped ones, more Tatume like. Keep us posted on that, both plant habit and flavor.

Below are a couple pictures. The first is a Lemon (bottom) then 3 F1s (the last one can't be seen and is smaller than the others, so I may cull it, but I will let it fruit first). The F1s are a little taller than the Lemon and also are developing long tendrils, but not really vining just yet. They have some immature tiny fruit, I'm guessing about a week til they start opening.

The second picture is Tatume (right) which you can easily see vining already. Then the left 3 are F1s. The middle 2 are smaller due to age and the far left one is the same age as the other F1s in picture 1 and the Tatume and Lemon plants.

I should be getting into the more exciting time soon!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg June172015_13sm.jpg (509.7 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg June172015_14sm.jpg (770.3 KB, 82 views)
Old June 17, 2015   #88
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Monty, how old are those LT crosses in your picture? Also, is it hot yet in your part of AZ? Its only just starting to get in the high 90's here. Usually this weather quickly kills off squash, we shall see. Other than the outbreak of vine borers they have been quite healthy.
Mid 90s, and my #3 in the GH is reaching 105 temps.
Old June 17, 2015   #89
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Justin/Steve,

Ate the LTs in pic about an hour ago. I think the smaller size is definitely the way to go. They were quite good under baseball size. I'll keep you updated on everything as we move forward. If you want to see anything, let me know. I'm retired and I like this stuff.

Monty

Last edited by monty71466; June 17, 2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old June 17, 2015   #90
monty71466
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
Monty, how old are those LT crosses in your picture?
I planted the LTs on 8 May 15.