Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 12, 2015   #1
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Default Want to not till 500 sq ft of Elbon rye cover

If I'm going to plant notill (Fall till) through cover crop this month, I'd prefer to kill 500 sq ft of Elbon rye. Mowing it this early seems to have just encouraged it. To smother it would be difficult. I'm thinking to spray it with 20% vinegar today. Think it will let me plant 2 days later? Or is it OK to just leave it live?
Old March 12, 2015   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

What I do is pretty lazy. I get a whole bunch of cardboard boxes and spread them out over the turf. Then pile a bunch of leaves and compost on top, then some newspaper, and some more leaves. I also spread some course rock phosphate, just because I have that around. Manure would be good too, but thats always in short supply for me. Then lots of water. once the weather warms up the bed will settle in pretty quick. And by midsummer you will be amazed. Ideally it should sit that way for weeks, but you can still set out transplants right away if you need to, just cut a whole thru the cardboard and make a mound of good soil, and by the time they are making serious root growth there will be good stuff starting to happen in the soil beneath the bed.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #3
creister
Tomatovillian™

You should have a good kill in two days. I would mow the dead top to act as some mulch. You may not completely kill the plants, so you may get some regrowth.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #4
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

You might be able to weed-wack it to the ground, since you are in a hurry.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #5
Douglas_OW
Tomatovillian™

Have you considered a small manual crimper like this:

http://digginginthedriftless.com/201...ramping-weeds/

With your small plot, you should be able to flatten the stalks and prevent them from growing back.

Jim
Douglas_OW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2015   #6
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas_OW View Post
Have you considered a small manual crimper like this:

http://digginginthedriftless.com/201...ramping-weeds/

With your small plot, you should be able to flatten the stalks and prevent them from growing back.

Jim
might as well get artistic and make some crop circles.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #7
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

.. Or mow it cross hatch like they do baseball turf. (looking for a lute rake too)
I hear that crimping mature rye works further North. This rye doesn't get that tall in March around here, and I want the stubble to serve as mulch, so I won't just cut it down to the dirt. Having trouble getting the vinegar. None from Decatur to Benbrook. Russell Feed says a delivery is scheduled Friday. I could apply it with a paint roller after plant out, if I had to. I did pull some roof panels from the little HFGH to let in some UV, suppose they can go another week or so in there while I get the cover more like right.

Old March 13, 2015   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You can get 90 grain vinegar at HEB it is 10% and comes in the blue label.

Great for removing rust too.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
If I'm going to plant notill (Fall till) through cover crop this month, I'd prefer to kill 500 sq ft of Elbon rye. Mowing it this early seems to have just encouraged it. To smother it would be difficult. I'm thinking to spray it with 20% vinegar today. Think it will let me plant 2 days later? Or is it OK to just leave it live?
It will certainly die when it gets warm. Just plant through it.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #10
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
It will certainly die when it gets warm. Just plant through it.
D'oh! Cool, figure I'll try it both live and pickled. Thanks all.
Old March 13, 2015   #11
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

The traditional way is to "roller crimp" or mow it in the advanced boot stage. The other way to do it is mow it at 3 inches, and it will come back, but mow it again exactly 5 days later flush to the ground. Then paper and mulch right over that. If you have a bagger on your mower you can use the rye itself as the mulch you put on top of the paper! Any questions?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2015   #12
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Another way would be Solarizing in a hot sunny day.For a fast kill you can combine vinegar and solarizing.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1, 2015   #13
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Spraying it a week after mowing just burned off 3 inches. Sprayed or not it is all growing like crazy. We may have to start on the crop circles. I'm getting more organic matter (accessible next year) and (free) mulch by letting it grow. Post hole planted indeterminates on 30" centers with drip tape, so I can't just run the mower between them. Might be able to string trimmer trim later when the toms are taller but for now having to hand trim the rye. It does let me scout for mites etc right up close. Tomatoes are doing good, have flowers and some fruit set on knee high plants, wasn't sure they would thrive so closely surrounded.
Old April 1, 2015   #14
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by decherdt View Post
Spraying it a week after mowing just burned off 3 inches. Sprayed or not it is all growing like crazy. We may have to start on the crop circles. I'm getting more organic matter (accessible next year) and (free) mulch by letting it grow. Post hole planted indeterminates on 30" centers with drip tape, so I can't just run the mower between them. Might be able to string trimmer trim later when the toms are taller but for now having to hand trim the rye. It does let me scout for mites etc right up close. Tomatoes are doing good, have flowers and some fruit set on knee high plants, wasn't sure they would thrive so closely surrounded.
Might want to do something like this next time:

Red Baron project

Just something new I am experimenting with and should work with Rye just as easily as any other grass.

PS The standard way to kill rye is mow or crimp after the seedheads show up but before they pollinate.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture

Last edited by Redbaron; April 1, 2015 at 12:13 PM.
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2015   #15
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

I'm tempted to let it all go to seed, to see if it will reseed the plot.

Last edited by decherdt; April 7, 2015 at 09:45 AM.
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote