Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 2, 2015   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whistech View Post
Let us know the results of your experiment. I'm betting you won't see any difference.
It might make them worse.

Now where's that dried crows foot I hand up in the garden every year.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #17
AZGardener
Tomatovillian™

I put epsom salts under my pepper plants this year once they started setting and my yields have increased by MANY! In fact, I've never had so many peppers on one plant... Anaheim Chilis have about 15-20 on a 1 ft tall but husky pant (just to give you an idea of size/harvest). Same with Pasillas and my Bells. SO, the grower who told me to do this told me he mixes it with water and sprays the plant but that you can also put it on the soil and water it in. With the lack of time, that's what I did. I also did it for my tomatoes and all are starting to bloom like mad and they are covered (for the most part) with blooms. So we shall see if it works...
Old April 3, 2015   #18
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Epsom salts ( Magnesium sulphate -MgSO4) is not some sort of snake oil in the garden. I use it on both my tomatoes and my roses and It provides a readily available, cheap and reliable source of two important macronutrients required for plant growth- magnesium and sulphur. Magnesium is required in the production of chlorophyll as well as in other physiologic functions such as enzymes that regulate growth. Sulphur is required for the synthesis of amino acids, proteins and other substances such as vitamins and plays a role in the function of every living cell. I find that plants I supplement are a beautiful dark green. I surmise this may be from a rich production of chlorophyll which is the source of energy production through photosynthesis and I do think it benefits the overall health of the plant.
Interestingly, if you look at the structure of a chlorophyll molecule it is identical to a human hemoglobin molecule except where there is iron in a hemoglobin molecule there is magnesium in a chlorophyll molecule.
Can you grow tomatoes and roses without it? sure is likely but it is an easy, safe and reliable supplement of these two critical minerals and I have used it for years with great results. I add a sprinkle to each planting hole and add more about every month during the growing season sprinkled on the surface and watered in. about the equivalent of a Tbsp per plant.
1/2 cup in a gallon is a more than I would use.
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; April 3, 2015 at 11:01 AM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #19
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I might try it on one of my plants I have three of.
But I dont want to get busted for witchcraft.
Already the towns folk are looking at me suspiciously because my garden does so much better than theirs.
The local Vicker came by the other day eyeing the place.

Worth
Old April 3, 2015   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Lol @ witchcraft.

I've used Epsom Salt for years on my tomatoes and peppers. I read the other day http://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gard...-gardening.htm
this site explains how I use it. I believe moderation is best. I've also read that you can also use it on potatoes and sweet potatoes, but I haven't tried that.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #21
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

I have to use epsom salt in my tunnel. Something about growing tomatoes undercover that causes a magnesium deficiency. On the other hand, no matter how hard they crop, I've never witnessed magnesium deficiency on an outside planting..

Here is a pic of magnesium deficiency starting to show up as interveinal chlorosis.

Last edited by Hellmanns; April 3, 2015 at 12:21 PM.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #22
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I might try it on one of my plants I have three of.
But I dont want to get busted for witchcraft.
Already the towns folk are looking at me suspiciously because my garden does so much better than theirs.
The local Vicker came by the other day eyeing the place.

Worth
I know you have been fighting your alkaline soils, have you ever seen Mg deficiency on any of your plants?
This article at the National Gardening Association is sensibly written and addresses some of my concerns with the use of Epsom Salts. The claims by those preaching its use rarely come with any scientific theories as too why it seems to work for them or even the conditions that they grow under. There are a lot of other factors that can effect plant growth and yield in a season that may have nothing to do with the addition of Epsom Salts.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #23
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
I know you have been fighting your alkaline soils, have you ever seen Mg deficiency on any of your plants?
This article at the National Gardening Association is sensibly written and addresses some of my concerns with the use of Epsom Salts. The claims by those preaching its use rarely come with any scientific theories as too why it seems to work for them or even the conditions that they grow under. There are a lot of other factors that can effect plant growth and yield in a season that may have nothing to do with the addition of Epsom Salts.
I agree.
If your tomato or pepper plants did well might not be because of the extra application of Epsom salt. A semi scientific way would be, eg, divide the number of your plants into 2 groups. Give one group Epsom salt. Then observe any MEASURABLE difference among the two groups.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2015   #24
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
No I haven't seen a magnesium deficiency in my plants.
Only a lack of growth when the PH goes up.
And only then with peppers and tomatoes.
They grow they set fruit and there is no BER what else could you ask for?
Worth