Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old February 1, 2016   #16
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
I wouldn't go past 3 per pot. Try to space them equidistant in a triangle. Plant Buttergold and Sugarbaby because they're smaller plants. Burpee has a variety that is geared toward pot growing.

PS for 3 sisters: In the old days corn varieties had thick stalks that could support the weight of pole beans climbing up them. Many of today's corn varieties have whimpy stalks that will pull down with beans growing up them.
do you mean pot growing or Pot growing.?
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2016   #17
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
I wouldn't go past 3 per pot. Try to space them equidistant in a triangle. Plant Buttergold and Sugarbaby because they're smaller plants. Burpee has a variety that is geared toward pot growing.

PS for 3 sisters: In the old days corn varieties had thick stalks that could support the weight of pole beans climbing up them. Many of today's corn varieties have whimpy stalks that will pull down with beans growing up them.
Thank you dd, good to know. I'll look into the Burpee varieties.

ThanKs Joseph.

Run Worth or you'll be felling more trees.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2016   #18
imp
Tomatovillian™

Gerardo, I can't help with growing corn in containers, but I can heartily recommend the variety called Mirai as it is simply great tasting and grows easily. It even tillered good for me last year and produced full sized ears on most of the tillers. We ended up with more than 30 full ears from a slightly less than 8 x 8 foor plot with the bicolor version last year. It comes in yellow, white and bicolor.

And, it holds the flavor for several days in the fridge, too!

Happy corn growing.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2016   #19
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Gerardo, I can't help with growing corn in containers, but I can heartily recommend the variety called Mirai as it is simply great tasting and grows easily. It even tillered good for me last year and produced full sized ears on most of the tillers. We ended up with more than 30 full ears from a slightly less than 8 x 8 foor plot with the bicolor version last year. It comes in yellow, white and bicolor.

And, it holds the flavor for several days in the fridge, too!

Happy corn growing.
Funny you mention Mirai, I was about to order my annual Odoriko from kitazawa last night and was perusing their corn offerings and guess who is the star of their catalog? None other than Mirai.

There's 5 listed on their site, which one is the standout?

http://www.kitazawaseed.com/seeds_corn.html
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2016   #20
imp
Tomatovillian™

Sorry, didn't see this post and question- we loved the 74 day bi color best. So did evert one else that we shared with. I pushed the season last fall and it made all those ears going into the cool weather, which sweet corn hates.

Looking forward to seeing how it does in good for sweet corn season this year!
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2016   #21
rockman
Tomatovillian™

A tight wrapped ear such as ambrosia will help deter the worms. The worms are the millers that smack your windshield. The millers usually lay their eggs when the field corn tassels. If the millers are early they hit the sweet corn. We have luck putting brown lunch bags over each ear after pollination, instead of powders. Course the black birds will help get rid of them, while making about as much a mess as the worms.
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote