Tomatoville® Gardening Forums


Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #1
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™
 
sjamesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 903
Default Tararsenko Rozovyi (pink) question

I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's grown this variety. I thought it was fairly early. We've had a long hot summer, but now nighttime lows are nearing freezing, and at 82 days I'm not sure they'll ripen. The plant is really loaded with very pale green (bordering on yellow) attractive hearts. Do they blush pink when they start to ripen?



I'm thinking I may have to cut down the plant and hang it in the cellar.



Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #2
carolyn137
Tomatoville® Moderator
 
carolyn137's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Upstate NY, zone 4b/5a
Posts: 20,914
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's grown this variety. I thought it was fairly early. We've had a long hot summer, but now nighttime lows are nearing freezing, and at 82 days I'm not sure they'll ripen. The plant is really loaded with very pale green (bordering on yellow) attractive hearts. Do they blush pink when they start to ripen?



I'm thinking I may have to cut down the plant and hang it in the cellar.



Steve
Steve,it doesn't look early from this source

http://croatianseeds-store.com/index...os-pink-detail

Carolyn
__________________
Carolyn
carolyn137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #3
ddsack
Tomatovillian™
 
ddsack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northern Minnesota - zone 3
Posts: 2,832
Default

I'm pretty sure I got Tarasenko Pink seeds from NarnianGarden a few years ago. To the best of my recollection, it was a mid-season variety for me. Maybe NarnianGarden will pop in on this thread, or you could PM her for more information, since your climate is so similar.
__________________
Dee

**************

Last edited by ddsack; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:38 AM.
ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #4
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™
 
sjamesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Steve,it doesn't look early from this source

http://croatianseeds-store.com/index...os-pink-detail

Carolyn
I know. I've recently done searches, and the Croatian site turned up. I honestly don't know, and haven't been able to find out, why I thought it was early.


Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #5
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Finland, EU
Posts: 2,320
Default

Hello, I have grown it in a few different locations / micro climates, and it definitely should already be turning pink - of course the heat may have stalled the development, who knows.
If you suspect coming nights to be freezing,perhaps it is safer to pick a few that look closest to ripening, and leave the rest 'under cover' ... (I need to find my covering blankets too...)
Hoping you will soon get to taste it, for me it was out of this world. Loved the sweet burst of rich flavor!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #6
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™
 
sjamesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Hello, I have grown it in a few different locations / micro climates, and it definitely should already be turning pink - of course the heat may have stalled the development, who knows.
If you suspect coming nights to be freezing,perhaps it is safer to pick a few that look closest to ripening, and leave the rest 'under cover' ... (I need to find my covering blankets too...)
Hoping you will soon get to taste it, for me it was out of this world. Loved the sweet burst of rich flavor!
Thanks, NarnianGarden. I've been covering them so far. I can't say there are any close to ripening yet - no noticeable shift from very pale green. I brought one in anyway, yesterday, so we'll see. Like you said, maybe it doesn't like the heat.


Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #7
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder
 
korney19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: The Niagara Frontier
Posts: 894
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Steve,it doesn't look early from this source

http://croatianseeds-store.com/index...os-pink-detail

Carolyn
Hahaha! Can you find Pink Tarasenko from a different site?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #8
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™
 
sjamesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Hahaha! Can you find Pink Tarasenko from a different site?
Yes, on many Ukrainian and Russian sites, and they don't look like my fruits, which are more oval shaped hearts (not elongated),and don't have the pointy tip like here:

https://nikitovkaseeds.myshopify.com...roducts/201157

and here: https://www.google.com/search?q=Tara...w=1138&bih=558

So I have the wrong plant!

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #9
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Finland, EU
Posts: 2,320
Default

The most common form is oval-ish, however, I have had shapes varying from oval to blunt hearts to what looked like a beefsteak... On the same plant.
My seeds are from Nikitovka and I grew them on different years, and weather definitely makes these differences in shape.
Last year, I had one huge heart in the cold and rainy weather, before I took in indoors before it might rot... only then did other begin to grow.
The ideal form (with the 'nipple') was in 2014, when the summer was relatively normal and my location very warm.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #10
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™
 
sjamesNorway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Norway
Posts: 903
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
The most common form is oval-ish, however, I have had shapes varying from oval to blunt hearts to what looked like a beefsteak... On the same plant.
My seeds are from Nikitovka and I grew them on different years, and weather definitely makes these differences in shape.
Last year, I had one huge heart in the cold and rainy weather, before I took in indoors before it might rot... only then did other begin to grow.
The ideal form (with the 'nipple') was in 2014, when the summer was relatively normal and my location very warm.

That seems very strange. My plant is loaded with nearly identically shaped hearts that look nothing like Nikitovka's photo.


Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0013.jpg (480.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0010.jpg (648.7 KB, 18 views)
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #11
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Finland, EU
Posts: 2,320
Default

Whatever you got, looks nice! Enjoy and let us know how they progress.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 AM.


★ Tomatoville® is a registered trademark of Commerce Holdings, LLC ★ All Content ©2017 Commerce Holdings, LLC ★