Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2018   #16
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

A usual no no for tomatoes, but some say these types taste better after refrigeration.
I never tried out that theory.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Since Carolyn mentioned already, I got P20 from Jim Myers back about 2005 or 2006 and sent her a sample fruit. As she stated, it was very poor in the flavor department. Fortunately, some breeding work has been done which combined better flavor and higher sugar into some high anthocyanin fruit. I don't advertise it yet because there is still a lot of work to do, but I have a very good flavored high anthocyanin potato leaf variety that will eventually be released.

I can add that I sold included exactly two plants of Indigo Cherry Drops and one plant of Indigo Rose this year. I still have a few dozen plants in the greenhouse but will let them die out in a few weeks. I have plants in the garden for fresh seed.

We could also have a conversation about sharing genetics from breeding programs. Jim Myers was very much in the "work in progress" phase of developing high anthocyanin tomatoes when a grad student gave a few seed to a friend. That friend then listed the seed on a website and distributed them to several people. Another person who visits this forum got seed and shared them still further. Jim Myers contacted this person and politely asked him to stop sharing the seed. I give Jim a lot of credit for ethical actions when people were taking advantage of his breeding work.
You will note that I didn't mention you by name,user or real.

and let me add this as well

(Many years ago a technician from Dr. Myers lab, Dr Myers had bred it, was posting at Dave's Garden, as I was at that time, and she was offering seeds of Indigo Rose which alarmed several of us. Since I knew that Dr. Myers had sent seeds of it to those who were commercial and they had to sign a contract that they wouldn't share seeds with anyone else I asked her about that and all she said was that Dr. Myers hadn't told ANYONE in the lab they couldn't share seeds,so why couldn't she and also said no,she didn't ask his permission...

A tville member whose name I won't mention, got some of those seeds, since he was commercial and grew them out and sent me some fruits and that's the first and last time I tasted Indigo Rose.

At the same time similar varieties were bred in Italy and England. What it was all about was anthocyanin genes and how anthos, other veggie also have them, think purple,are good for you so why not breed an edible form.

And since tomatoes are very popular with almost everyone,why not breed a tomato variety that would put the anthos in an edible form, and that's what Dr.Myers did.

I do like Indigo Cherry Drops,though.)

Carolyn
Old May 29, 2018   #18
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
"I do like Indigo Cherry Drops."
Are they sweeter tasting than the Indigo Rose?
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowingCoastal View Post
Are they sweeter tasting than the Indigo Rose?
How am I ever going to come up with the right adjectives to answer your question, but I'll try.

I do NOT like the taste of Indigo Rose,it almost tastes,to me ,like it has gone rotten.

BUT,Indigo Cherry Drops has an excellent taste for me, as grown by me,and for sure sweeter than Indigo Rose.

And the way I see it the word excellent beats out the word rotten and does so always.

Carolyn
Old May 29, 2018   #20
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I tried 2 more places selling plants locally and found indigo ruby at one and indigo rose at another.
I bought one of each even tho I will probably regret it later.
Old May 29, 2018   #21
oakley
Tomatovillian™

IdigoRose is a total spitter no mater when picked as others find it to be. But it produces so well for me and such a long keeper.
I can pick and keep them in a kitchen bowl and add to it until I get a few dozen...then scoop the gell and mix with goat cheese and
fresh herbs like wild thyme and basil. The mesocarp, I think it is called...the meaty wall, is thick and holds up to being stuffed and
roasted. 275 for 10-15 minutes or on the far end of a grill off heat.

I just finished planting my final bed of tomatoes this morning and was a bit sad to not have it this year. Must have been in an early
tray that perished due to some soil issue.

I am growing a few of the Italian and Spanish 'long keepers' again that will fit the recipe I suppose.

I've posted this pic before but if you find them inedible, do stuff them.
Like many vegetable dishes, raw vs quickly sautéed, some are best cooked rather than fresh/raw. Most peas and beans I like raw or
barely cooked but the broad Italian flat beans I like cooked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg indego rose.jpg (214.7 KB, 87 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2018   #22
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I love Indigo Rose and Indigo Apple for more than one reason.: Color , Shape, earliness.
Since the fruits are blue/black from the start, that is a departure from any variety that I know off.
Knowing when it is ripe is a bit different. First, it will feel softer when gently squewzed. Second, thecolor underneath will look nice peac color. Sure, it is not sweet and the best tasting but has decent tangy taste. The size is what I call cocktail size. It will creat a painting when mixed with some red and yellow tomatoes in a bowl.
To each his/her own.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28, 2018   #23
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

the indigo ruby doesn't taste bad and the field mice are leaving them alone,knock wood.