Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old June 7, 2008   #1
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default freezing snow peas

My snow peas are almost ready - had a handful stir fried with my broccoli tonight. They were soooo crisp and wonderful. What is the best way to freeze them - a quick blanch or perhaps a quick stir fry - the evoo would keep them greener? I now want them every meal. Thank you - peigirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8, 2008   #2
johno
Tomatovillian™

We do a quick blanch and they freeze well.
Old June 9, 2008   #3
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

I freeze mine last year. Blanching (a minute or two) prior to freezing and then cool it down fast by using ice water, sieve and pat dry using kitchen towel, in the freezer bag, into the freezer.
This year I only grow small amount of snow peas and don't have much left for freezing. Good luck with it !
Tomaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2008   #4
robin303
Tomatovillian™

Does that work with green beans and okra by chance. Hate to say I have no idea how to save my peppers because I will not and wont can. It just really isn't cost effective for me.
robin303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2008   #5
Tomaat
Tomatovillian™

Hi Robin,

It work the same with Green beans (pre blanching and ice water cooling... in the freezer). If you get the type that freeze well, you will get better result.
I don't know about okra but I have seen the frozen one so it should be ok to freeze it, perhaps you will have to blanch it too like the snow peas and green beans.
Good luck.
Tomaat is offline   Reply With Quote