Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 11, 2019   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
With water, sure I guessed that!
The last time I tried Promix it was really dry and don't remember if I had to soak it before sowing or what.
This time I have a shiny new unopened bag of premium organic seed starting promix (mycoactive). Bag says " Ready to Use" and instructions say " put moistened mix into your trays..." etc.

So what do I expect? Is this a peaty mix that needs a soak overnight? What do you do?
Bower, you got some really good answers above. I use a large stainless mixing bowl and warm water as you would with seed starting mix or MG. I also add more chunky perlite. Then use it right away. That's what I do for seed starting cell trays indoors.

On a much larger scale, I used a large child's wading pool to mix Promix, MG, chunky Perlite and a little bit of 10-10-10 to fill our 5 gallon containers.

I'm not sure if that's what you have asked, but it's my best reply.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2019   #17
bower
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, Salt. I've been potting up the greens this winter with some re-used mix from my containers, and finally concluded that I need to add more perlite because it is still too peaty to drain and dry the way it needs to. There is not a huge amount of perlite in this Promix I got, so I hope it was enough.
Bitterwort, I like that idea of mixing it right in the bag!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote