Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 14, 2006   #1
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Default Foiliar Disease Any Ideas?

Ok well its been wet and cold here this past week. I didnt check my tomatoes yesterday but this morning I was out there and found two of my plants looking like the picture below. I removed every leaf that had this symptom and every leaf that had any edges on it that had the slightest hint of yellowing. It pretty much means I lost 1/3 the leaves on the two plants and ended up with a 4 liter ice cream bucket full of leaves which was promptly bagged and trashed. Now my question is would that be what you would try or does this look like something worse and the two plants should be yanked? The plants are a Nepal and a Lemon Boy. The fruits on both look perfect and the symptoms are starting on top growth with the bottom 1/3 of the plant completely disease free. This leads me to believe it is a fungus that has come in the recent rains we have had which makes me think my current course of action will do. My only fear though is that this happened in 48 hours and if its something worse it might spread to my other Tomatoes and doom my whole crop. So basically Should I be giving it a day or two to see if any new Fungus develops on the plants or should I yank them? ( The Two plants are beside each other )

westocast73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2006   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Maybe

Early Blight
?

Are you preventatively spraying with anything?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2006   #3
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

Spraying with Copper ( Trying to be Organic ) . The reason I didnt think blight was the culprit is that the fungus is deffinetly coming from the Top growth down and not the Bottom growth up. There is no bad leaves for the first 28" of the plant and only fungus above that and much more near the top. This might only be because it has come from the Rain though so I am not really sure I can rule out blight. If I can't stick with Organic is Daconil the best choice? I haven't seen Ortho's for sale here though so I am not sure how easy it is to find.

P.S. The picture you have does though look like my own leaves.
Old August 18, 2006   #4
westocast73
Tomatovillian™

The next day I had to remove more leaves. There is no new development today ( Or over the past few sunny days ) though so I seem to have nipped it. That being said Lemon Boy barely has leaves and Nepal looks worse then Charlie Brown's christmas tree. Glad it did not spread to the other Tom's though and hopefully there is enough leaves on the plants to ripen the remaining fruit at least.