Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 12, 2016   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I bought a roll of the super-thick wire that is sold with chain link fence materials, and used to attach the chain link to the fencing frame. It can be bent with pliers and is great for making hooks on the top of t-posts. I hang 16' cattle gates on them.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #17
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I bought a roll of the super-thick wire that is sold with chain link fence materials, and used to attach the chain link to the fencing frame. It can be bent with pliers and is great for making hooks on the top of t-posts. I hang 16' cattle gates on them.
I would love to use cattle panels, but it's not in my budget this year, maybe buy some next year.

The T posts and field fencing are free, I like that price, LOL, plus Greg is Supposed to use the driver and set them for me....suppose being the word. But since he has had one or the other of my trucks for almost a year now, he should be willing as long as it is not a weekend. He sells a lot on weekends- antiques and stuff, so I understand that.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #18
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

ha, totally different from what we have in community gardens here. So spacious and well set, with fence and everything. How many people have plots in there?
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #19
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

garfield.png
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #20
bower
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! This place looks peachy!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #21
imp
Tomatovillian™

I think somewhere like 16 to 18people do. Some have 1 plot, some have 2 to 5 mostly. Then there is me, who lost her mind under the influence of seeds and got 15, LOL, but melons take up room fast, along with some winter squash and sweet potatoes.

Besides, sitting idle doesn't help pay the costs of the garden. They even have video cameras to make sure no one gets away with breaking in.

I REALLY like the wide pathways, I can drive my pick up down them and unload at each if need be.

Several people got this started and made it happen with the city building it, about 3 years ago. There is a shed with tools and a cart/wagon, a nice paved driveway down the middle, a wash station under an over hang of the shed, too, And a well that is backed up with city water if it has to be.

Almost everyone is friendly, and we all get along pretty well. Makes it nice.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #22
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Imp, love the pictures! You really have done a great job with everything. It is nice to be able to see what the gardens look like. After I read you mentioning the community garden in an earlier post, I googled it, and read up on it, but couldn't find any pictures online. That is really cool that we have something like that for those who don't have land to garden in. How much is the rent, and how large are the spaces?

I am the same way about gardening, I just feel better when I am able to work with my plants, and get my hands dirty.

Carrie
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #23
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Imp, I just love your Community Gardens. You have found yourself a great spot. I have never seen a CG that was fenced in. That is great to keep out the critters and what or whom ever else that might try to get in. The soil looks like it has been well cared for. It's beautiful! Mike sounds awesome. You have found yourself the perfect spot! I salute you Mam......