Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 17, 2016   #31
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

What's with the infamous Queen of Hearts, I ordered from Secret Seed Cartel earlier this year and got a free pack of seeds. I think it says Queen of Hearts.
Rajun Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2016   #32
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

Just posted it !!
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #33
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
OOhh, a story, I think I am finding a story, LOL.

Is it one that can be told, Jeanine Anne?Sounds like a lively one, Maybe a WWW type story?
Yes indeed the Hatian varieties were a WWW story.

Back in 1992 Norbert in France apporoached four of us and wanted to trade,I think there were four hatian ones that one or another of us got back,I'd have to do a major search in my SSE YEarbooks to remember them all since all of us SSE listed everytyhing we got and there were some great ones that are still very popular today such as Jaune Flammee

At the time WWW was very involved in a search for ones from Haitii and other French islands and when we listed them he got all 3 or 4. He was at the time a very good Food historian,

But when HE then listed them after doing seed production he had the names all wrong,changed everything around and I,for one,was disgusted.

But if you read that link I put up forTrue Black Brandywine you saw that many had serious problems with what he said were parents.

He also listed Shah in the SSE YEarbook,as a white,but Craig L had an old seed catalog where it was introduced as a yellow,and Shah was known to be extinct many years ago.

What WWW had done was to use White Potato Leaf instead.

And there's more as well,but best to say that WWW listed more wrong varieties in the SSE YEarbooks than anyone else I know.

And now he has his own section at Baker Creek and is doing about the same and that was discussed here as well.

Glad to oblige imp,glad to oblige your curiousity.

Carolyn
Old April 18, 2016   #34
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes indeed the Hatian varieties were a WWW story.

Back in 1992 Norbert in France apporoached four of us and wanted to trade,I think there were four hatian ones that one or another of us got back,I'd have to do a major search in my SSE YEarbooks to remember them all since all of us SSE listed everytyhing we got and there were some great ones that are still very popular today such as Jaune Flammee

At the time WWW was very involved in a search for ones from Haitii and other French islands and when we listed them he got all 3 or 4. He was at the time a very good Food historian,

But when HE then listed them after doing seed production he had the names all wrong,changed everything around and I,for one,was disgusted.

But if you read that link I put up forTrue Black Brandywine you saw that many had serious problems with what he said were parents.

He also listed Shah in the SSE YEarbook,as a white,but Craig L had an old seed catalog where it was introduced as a yellow,and Shah was known to be extinct many years ago.

What WWW had done was to use White Potato Leaf instead.

And there's more as well,but best to say that WWW listed more wrong varieties in the SSE YEarbooks than anyone else I know.

And now he has his own section at Baker Creek and is doing about the same and that was discussed here as well.

Glad to oblige imp,glad to oblige your curiousity.

Carolyn
Thank you both. I do love a story, LOL.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #35
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

There is more on the net about P de Haiti than there was a few years ago but I wuld have t unravel my memory from a few years ago before I tackled it, because for life on me I can't remember which was the right description etc etc.

Carolyn you might, was the right one raspberry coloured and apple shaped >>>
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2016   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannine Anne View Post
There is more on the net about P de Haiti than there was a few years ago but I wuld have t unravel my memory from a few years ago before I tackled it, because for life on me I can't remember which was the right description etc etc.

Carolyn you might, was the right one raspberry coloured and apple shaped >>>
Yes,I have to unravel my mind as well, and especially today since I've been kicked off the internet twice now,the DSL is OK,so must be my browser.

Carolyn