Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old June 9, 2015   #151
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Do this at your own risk but I stopped hot water bathing pickles.
I tried it once and never again, the whole batch was tossed.
My cucumbers get washed in a mild bleach solution and then rinsed.
The jars go through the same process.
If the jar is sealed and the acid is right I dont have any worries in my house.
You simply cannot cook a cucumber and expect anything good to come out of it.

I guess tomorrows project will be sweet/hot pickles.

Just like my Mom used to make.

Worth

Last edited by Worth1; June 9, 2015 at 09:00 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #152
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Make sure the cucumbers are firm and fresh and free of blemishes. Cut 1/16" off the blossom end.

As Tracy said, the vinegar/water ration should be at least 50/50. Official word;

"Caution: The level of acidity in a pickled product is as important to its safety as it is to taste and texture.

Do not alter vinegar, food, or water proportions in a recipe or use a vinegar with unknown acidity.
Use only recipes with tested proportions of ingredients. There must be a minimum, uniform level of acid throughout the mixed product to prevent the growth of botulinum bacteria."

That's not written to be lawyer proof - it comes from laboratory testing to see what is needed to prevent the bacteria growth. You'll have a better product that you won't have to throw out if it is spoiled. To each their own.

Firming Agents - "Alum does not improve the firmness of quick-process pickles. The calcium in lime definitely improves pickle firmness. Food-grade lime may be used as a lime-water solution for soaking fresh cucumbers 12 to 24 hours before pickling them. Excess lime absorbed by the cucumbers must be removed to make safe pickles. To remove excess lime, drain the lime-water solution, rinse, and then resoak the cucumbers in fresh water for 1 hour. Repeat the rinsing and soaking steps two more times."

I personally wouldn't go through all that trouble...I'd use the Pickle Crisp which is calcium chloride.

"To further improve pickle firmness, you may process cucumber pickles for 30 minutes in water at 180°F. This process also prevents spoilage, but the water temperature should not fall below 180°F. Use a candy or jelly thermometer to check the water temperature."

This is called the pasteurization method. I used it last year and liked how my dills came out.

Here's a pickle problem sheet. For soft pickles, it lists vinegar too weak, not enough brine, not processed to kill enzymes/microorganisms, moldy spices, blossom end not removed.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/pickleproblems.html

I checked the nchfp dill recipe. It is somewhat similar to yours. The vinegar is not 50/50 - 1 1/2 qts vinegar to 2 qts of water, with 1/2 cup of salt. You can take a look here.

http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_06/quick_dill_pickles.html
Old June 9, 2015   #153
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

As what Barbs said I want to add something.
I didn't bother looking att the recipe and had no idea the ratio was off.
The only time I cut back on vinegar is when I use 90 grain which is twice as strong as the 5% stuff.
One time I used it straight not realizing it.
Worth
Old June 9, 2015   #154
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

I've heard that the vinegar used in "the old days" was a lot stronger than what we use today. Would make things a lot safer.
Old June 9, 2015   #155
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by coronabarb View Post
I've heard that the vinegar used in "the old days" was a lot stronger than what we use today. Would make things a lot safer.
Barb if you look on the jug it says distilled vinegar diluted with water to 5% acidity.
So that tells me that the recipes people use from way back when may be using 10% acidity or more.
Since many of the old recipes say just vinegar.
I can almost bet the recipe that was passed down for ages listed here was using 10% or 90 grain vinegar not 5% in the beginning.
If so the ratio would be right.

That is why when I do put something here I always say what strength the vinegar is so as not to confuse anyone.
The same goes for my meat curing.

Worth
Old June 9, 2015   #156
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I work with 5 to 10% acidity organic apple cider vinegars. Never had any problems.

But use at your own risk - search my recipe for Armenian Dill Pickles. I've literally pickled 1000's of jars in the past 50 plus years. Anything that doesn't seal, with a hot pack - boiling brine and hot sterlised jars, lids and rings gets a water bath or put in the fridge. Anything that pops a lid down the road, smells dodgy or even looks dodgy gets tosses. Have never made anybody sick. The people at the Buffalo Niagara Tomato Tastefest have tasted my pickles - cukes and mixed peppers and mixed veggies. Ask them how they turned out.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2015   #157
frdlturner
Tomatovillian™

Worth 1 that hot sweet/hot pickles sounds good...
frdlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #158
BucksCountyGirl
Tomatovillian™

Or you could just lacto-ferment your pickles and not worry about vinegar ratios or processing times at all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Fermented Kosher Dills 7-5-14.jpg (28.4 KB, 125 views)

Life's a climb...but the view is fantastic
BucksCountyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #159
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Grape leaves supposedly help pickles stay firm if you put them in the jar. My Grandma always did it this way. Not sure if it has any scientific merit of not though.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2015   #160
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Good clarification above about not messing with the vinegar ratio. I do it exactly as per the recipe.

I've never made dills, but my sweet limes were crunchy as can be, almost too crunchy!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #161
Tim76
Tomatovillian™

Every "safe" recipe I have tried have been terrible. I use family recipes that have been used for years and never heard of a problem with them. We even pickle eggs with "unsafe" recipes.

I'm not recommending that anyone do it and will not share any dangerous recipes.
Tim76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #162
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim76 View Post
Every "safe" recipe I have tried have been terrible. I use family recipes that have been used for years and never heard of a problem with them. We even pickle eggs with "unsafe" recipes.

I'm not recommending that anyone do it and will not share any dangerous recipes.
I found pasteurized eggs in the store for not much more and am going to start making my mayonnaise with them.

Worth
Old June 13, 2015   #163
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim76 View Post

Have you tried fermenting pickles? That's much milder and still safe. Also, any vinegar can be substituted if it's 5%. Try rice vinegar, white balsamic or organic cider vinegar for milder favors.
Dresser pickles. Freezer pickles can also be quite good. Is it possible this recipe was supposed to be used with liming to keep them crisp?
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2015   #164
Tim76
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
Have you tried fermenting pickles? That's much milder and still safe. Also, any vinegar can be substituted if it's 5%. Try rice vinegar, white balsamic or organic cider vinegar for milder favors.
Dresser pickles. Freezer pickles can also be quite good. Is it possible this recipe was supposed to be used with liming to keep them crisp?
Yes and I love fermented pickles. I do not have a crock or other vessel large enough for my cucumber crop and always can about 80%+. I also ferment peppers but usually kraut is my priority.

A few recipes use alum, almost all pickled pepper recipes. Other than those I use nothing to keep them crisp as they need nothing. I have a banana pepper recipe that uses alum that I have never popped the top off a jar around others and any were left. I am very meticulous in the process but I don't fret at all about the safety of the food.

Have you seen what they make kids eat at school anymore?
Old June 13, 2015   #165
Tim76
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I found pasteurized eggs in the store for not much more and am going to start making my mayonnaise with them.

Worth
Honestly I have never heard of them. After researching them a bit it seems that kills the avian flu. SHHHH!!!!!! Won't be long before we are forced to buy them.