Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Upstate New York - Canada event information and discussion forum.

Old August 23, 2008   #1
penguingardener
Tomatovillian™

Default New Family Addition Eating Most of 'Maters

For the last couple of months, I've been trying to fend off a groundhog who's been feasting off my community garden plot as well as others. I feel much more stress-free
now that I recognize that we've adopted, or rather, the groundhog has adopted us.

Because of our new stubborn addition to the family, I'm not sure if I'll be able to have any tomatoes other than grapes and cherries for the event. He seems to have an appetite worse than a teenager and as destructive as a toddler plus he's magnitudes stronger.

I have yet to meet him since he keeps odd hours, so I guess he's like a college student in that way. Regardless, I do wish he'd at least clean up after himself.

Heck, he could even be a she.
Old August 23, 2008   #2
Dukerdawg
Growing for Market Moderator

Get a trap and put in some melon. Sure thing to trap the little thief. Then do what you wish....relocation is the second best option. They are cute on groundhog day, but that's about it.

Duane
Old August 23, 2008   #3
tomatoguy
Tomatovillian™

Whistlepig Relocation Program. Worked for me.

mater

Last edited by tomatoguy; August 23, 2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old August 24, 2008   #4
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Nice to know that melon works for 'chucks.

We keep an unbaited live trap sitting along side the house or garden fence. For some reason animals are attracted to it and just walk in. We usually get young groundhogs, racoons, and possums. Last week alone we got two white rabbits (the neighbors let their 4-5 pet rabbits wander loose) and two skunks.
Old August 24, 2008   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Up in northeastern Tennessee and Southwestern Virginia, we hunted them when I was a kid. They really like apples. You might try a small fruit and veg salad and the little cutey will probably trap itself quickly. If you have one, you might check around the area. They rarely come in singles. I keep all 4 legged critters away with a product called "Repels All". A few sprays on objects to establish a perimeter, and the squirrels and even the neighbor's cat keep their distance.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old August 25, 2008   #6
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Hmm. I wonder if Repels All would work for moose!
Old August 25, 2008   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sherry have you tried the stuff these guys talked about.
Just wondering as I have deer.

http://www.ktuu.com/Global/story.asp?s=7054054

Worth
Old August 25, 2008   #8
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Pomona,
I feel for you! I have evil rabbits and squirrels that like to do havoc to the garden. You should see Gary with the bb gun. He looks like an over grown Elmer Fudd.
And don't worry if all you don't have much! I think you know we'll have more than enough tomatoes to taste. Your company is much more important .
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old August 28, 2008   #9
penguingardener
Tomatovillian™

Hi all,

Thanks for the suggestions... Under normal circumstances, I'd be looking into trapping and relocating, however, with DH traveling often for business and a herniated disc, without help, I'm not likely going to take a chance to risk further back injury lugging the beasty. (I'm on a < 5lb lifting/carrying medical restriction.)

I love the photo with the melon btw.

Oh, I tried Repel All and a pepper concoction, and the little booger broke through the perimeter. However, they successfully kept DH away when he was in town.

Oh, I should be able to bring Roma Cherry (grape), Snow White Cherry and Pineapple Tomatillo/Ground Cherry Husk. Maybe Amish Paste, Opalka, and a couple of others. I was really hoping to have Mr. Bruno, the critter's been snagging these though. I received Mr Bruno seeds from BillP in TX.
Old August 28, 2008   #10
Sherry_AK
Tomatovillian™

Worth -- We haven't tried it yet, but we did buy some this year. We were going to spray it on the new cherry trees, but decided to build cages instead. So we have some on hand just in case. I got it at WalMart, but I've seen it at other stores too. It's pretty pricey, but cheaper than replacing a cherry tree!

Sherry