Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Upstate New York - Canada event information and discussion forum.

Old September 12, 2009   #46
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Do we know who entered Giant Belgium (besides Jerry Powarski) and the seed source? Both seemed wrong.

Did anybody take a pic of the rear table of tomato plates or Red Rose?
Old September 12, 2009   #47
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
The envelope said

"Kellogg's Breakfast"
"2004"

"NY MA C 07"

I think back when it happened I asked if you grew any hearts OR PLUMS that year and do you have a list and you replied "Yes Mark I do but I don't know where that data book is right now.

But for sure I was growing at least one red heart, Kelleher's Oxheart, but not any plum tomatoes that I can remember."

I thought in a different message you may have listed Matt D' Imperio, and a few others that you grew that year that may have been plums or bombs or similar... maybe you can review your 2004 list again for red or pinks that fit that description, not just hearts?
Mark, when I answered you initially I was going from memory, without my data book, and remember for several years I had three different places where I grew tomatoes.

I can take a look at the 2004 season again and see if there were any plum varieties being grown in the SAME garden where KB was being grown if that's what you'd like me to do.

I will say that from a genetic point of view I don't see how this info is going to be of much use, actually, and if it were me I think I'd just concentrate on genetically stabilizing what you have that you like.
Old September 12, 2009   #48
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Mark, when I answered you initially I was going from memory, without my data book, and remember for several years I had three different places where I grew tomatoes.

I can take a look at the 2004 season again and see if there were any plum varieties being grown in the SAME garden where KB was being grown if that's what you'd like me to do.

I will say that from a genetic point of view I don't see how this info is going to be of much use, actually, and if it were me I think I'd just concentrate on genetically stabilizing what you have that you like.
YES, please do that! Even if you just e-mail me a descriptive list if there are varieties I don't know.

From a genetic point of view, it would be easier to predict, anticipate, or decide which segregates to follow or pursue if I knew what both parents were!

Every year I think of cutting back here because of everything going on, but I "get stuck" growing at least 60 plants and they are getting into the ground later & later every year. Not to mention I don't have the room to be growing 12 or 16 of each cross or segregation to find recessives or silver bullets! I actually have more KBHeart cross plants than all my other projects combined.

Oh, and Korney's Cross flipflopped from brown to green!!! I'd really like to see a pic of what Darrel sent to Glenn!
Old April 6, 2010   #49
korney19

Happy Birthday Remy!! Sweet 16?
Old April 7, 2010   #50
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi Mark,
Not sure how your post ended up over here, but thank you! Now you know I haven't seen 16 in awhile or sweet either.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop