Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Upstate New York - Canada event information and discussion forum.

Old July 31, 2015   #1
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Default 9th Annual Buffalo~Niagara Tomato TasteFest!

Hi All,
This year's party will be held Sunday Aug. 30th on Grand Island, NY. Everyone is welcome to join the festivities. If you need the address or directions, please send a message to me.
PARTY FAQS:
The party starts at 1:00. Rain or Shine.(There is a house, clean garage, large covered porch, and tents in case of inclement weather.) Official party ends at 8, but some of us still hang out and talk till about 10.
If you know someone who you think would like to attend, please invite them.
Remember even if your tomato harvest is less than stellar, we want you there! All of you that have attended before know we always have way more tomatoes than we need It is your company that is the most important.
Tomato TASTING and CONTESTS:
Bring tomato varieties to taste. Two(more in the case of small cherry tomatoes) of each variety is good, one for display, one for tasting, but if you only have a one that is fine!! In fact if you just have one tomato variety that is fine.
Remember it only take one to win : )
We will have contests for Sweetest, Tangiest, Best Overall, Biggest, Smallest, Prettiest, and Ugliest.
Besides the tomato contests, we will have raffles for excellent prizes to help with the cost of putting this party together. Prizes included garden, house hold items, and the always coveted homemade canned goods. Please bring a few dollars to buy tickets.
FOOD:
Various meats will be provided. Yes, there will be Meat-on-a-Stick!
We ask people to bring a side dish, salad, or dessert to eat, but it is not required.(We would rather have you attend than stay away because you can't or don't have time to cook.)
It is a cottage, so there is a full kitchen if you need to put something together once you get there.
DRINKS:
Bottled water, lemonade, and ice tea, and coffee will be available.
I do have lot and lots of wine this year!!! So don't worry about that.
Gary will have some beer, but you may want to bring some.
KIDS:
If you have kids, and want to bring them, there will definitely be children of all ages there to play with, and they always seem to make friends fast!
There will be assorted toys and there is a swing set. If it is going to be hot out, bring a bathing suit for your kid, we will fill the kiddy pool.
If your kid is older, there will be Can Jam for kids and adults.There are also trails in the wood behind the house to explore.
PARKING:

Parking will be on the front lawn (unless unbelievable monsoons happen between now and then) until room runs out and then on the street.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Hope to see you there,
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old August 4, 2015   #2
hank
Tomatovillian™

Hi Remy,
I'm Hank who is having a tomato party in Markham, Va. on Aug. 22. I have been going to Baltimore's MAYTAG gatherings in the past, but its continuation is in doubt. I would like to know how you predict the number of attendees. We are presently asking for an RSVP, but know that it is both a limiting factor and an inaccurate one.
I am using your approach as my example. Hope you do not mind. Hank
Old August 4, 2015   #3
remy

Hi Hank, The first year, we had no clue, but we had a good turn out of about 30 people or so. So for a first time party, we did well. We usually average about 50 people, but the actual number is never really known. Asking everyone to bring a dish helps then that way, you will have enough food. I always buy extra meat, and if we don't use it all, I freeze it. The only thing extra that can go to waste is rolls and buns, but those are cheap. Oh and I buy plates, napkins, etc. when they are on super sale and stock up so I have enough to last a few years. The iced tea and lemonade, I make in those big 5 gallon drink cooler things so it is cheap and there is always enough of that too. The only thing is getting the coolers. I'm lucky that my dad is a great garage saler and found me a couple some time ago.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old August 5, 2015   #4
hank
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Remy, I like your invite above. I will post a similarly toned invite on my website and facebook pages for my party. Hank
Old August 5, 2015   #5
remy

I hope your party goes well! BTW, I just googled where you are, and I went right past there this summer to give a garden talk about seeds in Warrenton to their local garden club.
Remy