Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Upstate New York - Canada event information and discussion forum.

Old August 27, 2011   #1
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Default Successful party 2011 - pictures etc.

The 2011 party turned out great! Remy and Gary Orlowski were again gracious hosts on Grand Island! Weather was very good (just a little warm for a Norwegian) and a lot of people came. You who couldn't come were greatly missed!

There were a total of 74 varieties of tomatoes this year, and lots of good food to eat after having tasted tomatoes.

The award winners were:

Best tasting tomato: Goose Creek grown by Rob Kavanaugh.
Prettiest tomato: Don Juan grown by Julianna Griffin.
Ugliest tomato: Orange Minsk grown by Hilde Reineck.
Biggest tomato: Arkansas Marvel grown by Marcia Ritchie.
Smallest tomato: Gold Rush grown by Richard Price.
Tangiest tomato: Yummy Lebanese grown by Elizabeth d'Anjou
Sweetest tomato: Sungold grown by Tara Kolinsky
The Norm Brown award for the craziest tomato lover (usually the one who has travelled the furthest to be at the party) went to Rosalinda.

The 74 varieties were:

Absinthe
Abruznyi
Adventure
African Queen
Amish Yellow
Ananas Noir
Aunt Gertie’s Gold
Belmonte
Black Cherry
Box Car Willie
Brandywine
Carbon
Cherokee Bi-Color
Cherokee Green
Cherokee Green Grape
Dice’s Mystery Black/Black Dice
Don Juan
Dr Lyle
Earl’s Faux
Eckert Polish
Eva Purple Ball
Franchi Red Pear A and B
Galina
German Gold
Gold Rush
Goose Creek
Green Gage
Green Giant
Green Moldovan
Humph
Ildi
Juliet Grape
Kosovo
Malachite Box
Matt’s Wild Cherry
Mexico
Monkey’s ★★★
Moreton
Mortgage Lifter
Mystery Yellow
Not Cuore di bue
Not Virginia Sweets
Olga
Olive Hill
Opalka
Orange Minsk A and B
Orlovskie Rysaki
Pineapple
Polish Linguisa
Pork Chop A, B and C
Principe Borghese
Provenzano
Quartz Multiflora
Red Pear
Red Pear Gransasso
Remy Rouge
Rideau Sweet
Rinaldo
Snow White
Steve’s Pink
Steve’s Red
Striped Roman
Stump of the world A, B and C
Sungold
Sunsugar
Tim’s Black Ruffles
Top Sirloin
Tlacolula Ribbed
Tom’s Yellow Wonder A and B
Unknown Black
Utyonok
Wapsipinicon Peach
Wes
Yummy Lebanese

I tried to upload pictures to tomatoville, but it kept asking for an url, so I signed up for flickr. If everything works there would be pictures of all the varieties and of people attending if you follow this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66884676@N04/sets/72157627409581101/

The copyright watermark is irritating in the picture, and I started with that after someone stole tomato pictures to put on their commercial website. I still don't like it though. This year I used flash for the first time, and of some reason some images are out of focus. I have to work with that!

Zana, we missed you and your Armenian baklava so much! Hope you are recovering fast from the migraine!!!

Hilde

Last edited by Hilde; August 27, 2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: url
Old August 27, 2011   #2
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Would it be acceptable to call that tomato Monkey Arse?
Old August 27, 2011   #3
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Pomona, Tara and and Sheryl, I tried not to post pictures of children. I took some though, and if you want me to send you pictures, tell me!

Last edited by Hilde; August 27, 2011 at 10:54 PM.
Old August 28, 2011   #4
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Thanks for taking all those pics Hilde! I only got a few on my camera as usual.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old August 28, 2011   #5
remy

A few photos from Sheryl and me.

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old August 28, 2011   #6
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

I like that picture of Julianna and Dwayne, especially the look on Julianna's face where she tries to decide which ones she likes!
Old August 28, 2011   #7
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilde View Post
The 2011 party turned out great! Remy and Gary Orlowski were again gracious hosts on Grand Island! Weather was very good (just a little warm for a Norwegian) and a lot of people came. You who couldn't come were greatly missed!
I was packed and ready to go...if I could...but could barely stand up yesterday, let alone drive or walk. Was thinking about you crazy materheads all day! Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhh

There were a total of 74 varieties of tomatoes this year, and lots of good food to eat after having tasted tomatoes. Oh man...now I'm drooling...sighhhhhhhhh.

The award winners were:

Best tasting tomato: Goose Creek grown by Rob Kavanaugh.
Prettiest tomato: Don Juan grown by Julianna Griffin.
Ugliest tomato: Orange Minsk grown by Hilde Reineck.
Biggest tomato: Arkansas Marvel grown by Marcia Ritchie.
Smallest tomato: Gold Rush grown by Richard Price.
Tangiest tomato: Yummy Lebanese grown by Elizabeth d'Anjou
Sweetest tomato: Sungold grown by Tara Kolinsky
The Norm Brown award for the craziest tomato lover (usually the one who has travelled the furthest to be at the party) went to Rosalinda.
Glad to see some new additions to the "usual suspects"! LOL From where did you travel, Rosalinda? Hilde, that is one seriously butt ugly tomato!

The copyright watermark is irritating in the picture, and I started with that after someone stole tomato pictures to put on their commercial website. I still don't like it though. This year I used flash for the first time, and of some reason some images are out of focus. I have to work with that! Great pics of the maters, Hilde, as usual. I see you haven't slowed down with your guerrilla camera pics of unsuspecting people...LOL

Zana, we missed you and your Armenian baklava so much! Hope you are recovering fast from the migraine!!! Thanks, Hilde. I was so bummed yesterday not going. First one I've missed....sighhhh... Guess what I had for breakfast? One piece. Sighhhhh....going to have to give allot of it away, since you really can't freeze it after it has been baked - it loses the flakiness.....and it was a huge pan. Figured I would have enough to send some home with those that wanted it....so made about twice what I did last year. But since its not gluten free, I can't indulge without paying for it. So now I have to make up care packages.... The migraine is a bit better this morning...seems to come in waves with the change in barometric pressure. I've managed to stay upright longer already this morning than all day yesterday - and got productive posting recipes on TV. Hilde, next time I'm in your neck of the woods, I'll try to have enough time to teach you how to make the Baklava...okay?

Hilde
Wish I had been there....as usual, looks like it was a wonderful experience for the usual suspects and all the new comers. And also looked like you had quite a few new varieties to sample.

Hope you didn't get lost on the way there...or with any detours to go shopping or going home, Julianna, Duane and Zabby. And I hope you make your train on time, Zabby.

Nicky, maybe we can get together here...will send a pm.

And finally, Remy....the hostess with the mostest! You and your extended family are incredibly generous to allow all of us materheads to descend upon your family's cottage in Grand Island every year. I know you spend countless hours in advance prepping for the party. And have also extended accommodations to many of us over the years. Brava, my friend. You are the best. There should be an award for spreading the joy of growing tomatoes....and your name should be on it. I have a feeling there are allot of people we could nominate for that kind of award, but you've got my vote.

Zana
~ who sadly had to bail out on attending the party of the year
Old August 28, 2011   #8
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Great looking event! Glad it went so well!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old August 28, 2011   #9
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Excellent photos and a very nice event. It looks like lots of fun, a wide variety of tomatoes to taste and great food (and weather).
Old August 28, 2011   #10
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Goose Creek - - the taste test Winner!!!

You guys have EXCELLENT taste! Congrats.

Raybo
Old August 28, 2011   #11
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Zana, I was so disappointed that I couldn't tell you that a tomatoaddict we love down in Ohio told me to take lots of pictures!

And about care packages: We in the state of New York are really in need of that now that Irene is over us! Did you know that I hadn't eaten before coming to the party so I would be able to eat more Armenian baklava? And you made double what you made last year? I'll send a PM about that baklava cooking class! We should probably make a video of the process and put it on You Tube!

Ray, why didn't you come back to your old hunting grounds for the party? We would have loved to have you!

Thanks Mark, thanks Lee!
Old August 28, 2011   #12
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Hilde,

If there was a way to send you the care package I would. But the HS won't let anybody mail food of any kind across the border. And I'm not sure it would survive the handling. LOL I'll make sure to make some for you and bring it the next time I'm coming down for some retail therapy.

Zana

ps ~ Tomatoaddict is a naughty girl! LOL at least I wasn't in the line of fire of your camera lense this year. LOL I don't think you'd have been able to publish any pic of me anyway since I might have been waving a certain finger at you in retaliation....:p
Old August 28, 2011   #13
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

Zana, I was joking, but barely, you know I love that baklava!
I took at picture of you showing off your tongue at the first party, I can always reuse that year after year...

Hilde
Old August 28, 2011   #14
nicky
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all for making us feel so welcome! Remy, you are a fantastic hostess! Russ & I had a great time at our 1st tomato tasting! I think it will be a yearly tradition now! I will post some pics tomorrow... going to rest now - lots of cross border shopping (Russ is a fashion plate!!!).
Cheers,
Nicky
Old August 28, 2011   #15
remy

Hi All,
I've been knee deep in tomatoes all day! I'll have to make a list of all the ones I saved seeds from.

Zana,
We did miss you! The Octoberfest cups you left last year we used. So you were there in spirit.

Ray,
We have had a great list of best winners at our party - Earl's Faux, Stump of the World, Indian Stripe, Henderson's Winsall, and now of course Goose Creek. And yes, if you are ever visiting your parents at the same time as the party you know you must attend.

Nicky,
I'm so glad you and Russ came! I do hope you hope you make a yearly event .
Remy