Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Upstate New York - Canada event information and discussion forum.

Old March 29, 2007   #1
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Default Anyone interested in a UNYTAG or NFTAG?

Upstate NY or Niagara Frontier... NFTA is already in use (Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority)

I really don't have room in my yard as some already know. Even though there is a baseball field across the street, I don't know if it can be used for anything else.

My GF has a seasonal trailer at a lake resort area about 20 miles east of Buffalo... it's actually a resort that's open to the public but charges daily admission, I'd have to check if they charge per person or per carload. They have a small lake with fishing, swimming, beach, petting zoo, various pay activities like miniature golf, small boat rentals, bingo, etc, a small store, etc. They have camping as well as furnished trailer rentals for anybody that may want to stay overnight. A part-time restaurant by the beach too. They even have bands on certain weekends, usually on Saturday nights.

They have a couple shelters as well as a larger Pavillion, so it wouldn't matter if rain or shine. It's actually located about 10-15 minutes from a Six Flags amusement park. 10-15 minutes away north is the Indian Reservation for cheap tax-free gas, smokes, etc.

It was just a thought I guess... post if anybody's interested. It's between Buffalo and Batavia NY. Do a search for Sleepy Hollow Lake Resort.

Mark

Last edited by korney19; March 29, 2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old April 4, 2007   #2
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Hi,
I already sent a PM to Mark, but I'm reposting here. Hopefully, we get some feedback.
My family has a cottage on Grand Island(actually one of the old small homes before all the big houses were built.) It is easy to get to. It is on a very large lot. There is a good sized porch and a clean empty garage. We always hold large family parties there.
Grand Island is next to Niagara Falls so anyone who would come from a distance away could also visit there.
Here's a map. If you click on the + or - thing to see more of the area, you will see Niagara Falls just to the north and Buffalo just to the south.
http://www.google.com/maps?q=Grand+I...i=map&ct=image
So this is just a suggestion. If you like Mark's idea, have one of your own, or just are interested in attending in general, please post.
Thanks,
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
Old April 10, 2007   #3
Zana
Tomatovillian™

As I said in the other thread you posted this idea, I'm interested. I'm about 1.5hours from Niagara Falls/Grand Island and about 2 hours from Batavia, not counting the border crossing. So the idea definitely sounds good. Let me know what you come up with.
Old May 8, 2007   #4
Sorellina
Tomatovillian™

Zana, if you're keen, we might want to car pool to this.
Old May 8, 2007   #5
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Ciao Julianna,

Sounds like a great idea....a Thelma and Louise tomato road trip! LOL....ok....can't guarantee that I'm not as crazy as Thelma or Louise...but I shouldn't expect you to be too. But the carpooling idea definitely makes sense to moi.

Zana
Old May 8, 2007   #6
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
I really don't have room in my yard as some already know.

8)

aw come on mark, nobody on the planet can utilize space like you! i've seen photos of your yard so i know whereof i speakth.

i am surprised that you did not think to crazy glue velco to the sides of your house then when everyone arrives have them put on a velco t-shirt (with tomato images and sayings of course) and stick 'em to the house!

you could fit at least 50 people back there!!

just having fun buddy!

tom
Old June 23, 2007   #7
remy

Hi Mark,
I haven't written to you in awhile. I hope your plants are doing well. I have lots of blooms. I have to go investigating for actual tomatoes.
The local plant swap( GW Upstate NY forum) went well. There was tomato plant swapping happening, and we, those of us who grow tomatoes, did discuss having the tomato party. Everyone still thought it was a great idea, and want to come. They did seem to like the Grand Island cottage being that the women liked the idea of real bathrooms, a kitchen, etc.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Old June 23, 2007   #8
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
8)

aw come on mark, nobody on the planet can utilize space like you! i've seen photos of your yard so i know whereof i speakth.

i am surprised that you did not think to crazy glue velco to the sides of your house then when everyone arrives have them put on a velco t-shirt (with tomato images and sayings of course) and stick 'em to the house!

you could fit at least 50 people back there!!

just having fun buddy!

tom
Sorry Tom, my GF got me new buckets from 60lb Clover Honey, they are 5 gallons instead of my usual 4 gallon square ones... that's a 25% increase in capacity, or in other words, that much less space!
Old June 24, 2007   #9
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Hi Mark,
I haven't written to you in awhile. I hope your plants are doing well. I have lots of blooms. I have to go investigating for actual tomatoes.
The local plant swap( GW Upstate NY forum) went well. There was tomato plant swapping happening, and we, those of us who grow tomatoes, did discuss having the tomato party. Everyone still thought it was a great idea, and want to come. They did seem to like the Grand Island cottage being that the women liked the idea of real bathrooms, a kitchen, etc.
Remy

Hi Remy! I'm still all for one happening, but I'm behind by a couple weeks to a month so not sure what I'll have to harvest mid-late August. Yes I know what you mean about women & real bathrooms! My GF's trailer at Sleepy Hollow has a real bathroom but in miniature size--my knees are knocking against the door & sink if I have to "sit" not stand. But the master bedroom is pretty big! There's always SOME trade-off!

I just thought that if anybody came from afar, or from the East/Central NY, they may want to camp the night or go to the beach, swim, fish, drink, watch a band, etc, plus it would be less driving. But I'll see if I have any IOU's left for a band for your place! Your place is closer to me & the ONT members anyway.

Maybe we can get a better hand count and see where everybody's coming from and what they all want to do. I have no real preference as to location, plus there's no admission charge for the Grand Island location.

P.S. If you have any room, I still have about 20 plants left!
Old June 24, 2007   #10
remy

Mark,
"P.S. If you have any room, I still have about 20 plants left!" Very Funny, I've got no room left at the inn!
"But the master bedroom is pretty big!" No comment!
(I'm a computer idiot and don't know how you all are making boxes of what another person said in your message.)

A hand count and vote is a good idea. We need an official date or have people choose between a couple dates. Like I told you before, I'm going to Cincinnati the 18th 19th weekend for CHOPTAG. I have that week off so the 25th or 26th works out best for me. The next weekend is Labor Day which would be bad for many people. I think we should do it the 25th or 26th and then use that weekend every year. Most people should have a good amount of tomatoes at that time. What do you think?
I also forgot to tell you the Swap people cook great and always bring too much, so we definitely will have lots of wonderful food.
Oh and I went to the Bond Lake plant sale that Rob from Niagara told me about. I didn't meet him, but I met his niece. It was funny. She was confused at first about who I was. Then she said, "Oh tomatoes," like I was in a cult.
Remy

Old June 24, 2007   #11
korney19

Remy, to make the boxes, instead of typing in the Quick Reply box, hit the QUOTE button of the post you want, it's at the upper right of each post.

When I had my plants on Craigslist, I received a message from someone about the plants but never had a chance to write back to her. She wrote:

May I ask where you are located? It might be fun to swap a few plants although I started my tomatoes a bit late this year due to travel. I am growing 50 varieties of tomatoes, 4 types of sweet pepper and 5 hot. I also wanted to let you know we are having our first annual Tomato Feast in East Concord on August 26. We will be doing tomato tasting competitions, recipes, lecture and live music. If you reply with your e-mail I will send more information as it becomes available. Happy Planting! Marcia Ritchie Nottingham Farm

I thought this would be a good date too, as you did, but then saw this message and wondered if this would be in direct competition or? Too bad we couldn't combine everything into one event... I have to look and see where East Concord is... so I didn't reply to her yet and don't know what to make of it... ???
Old June 24, 2007   #12
remy

Hi Mark,
East Concord is down the 219 out near Springville. I would email her back and ask for more specifics. It sound like it is going to be an open to the public festival possibly with vendors and stuff as opposed to what we are planning to do in having a party just for growers and family.
Remy

Old July 15, 2007   #13
remy

Hi Mark,
I picked up some green napkins for the party at work tonight on clearance. I couldn't resist; they were a nice "tomato vine" green.
We need to make some definite plans soon. I changed my mind, I think we should just pick the time and date and tell people to come.
Did you talk to that lady? The 26th would be a good day. My father is having his Imperial Garage reunion party on the 25th. I don't know if you were seeing bands in the early 80's, but all kinds of bands played at his bar Stevie Ray Vaughan, BB King and many other blues greats. He also had lots of great rock bands too. Anyway because of his party, I would prefer the 26th, but if it had to be the 25th, I'll live.
Remy

Old July 19, 2007   #14
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Hey Remy et al,
Are we still on for the weekend of the 25/26th of August? Just trying to get a handle on scheduling for that month. And whether there is a spare vehicle to head down. My plants are picking up steam, but they're really late due to other "distractions" around here. So I have no idea how much I'll be able to bring with me.

Julianna,
Still up for a road trip?

Looking forward to getting together.
Zana
Old July 19, 2007   #15
remy

Hi Zana,
I haven't heard from Mark since my last post. I don't think I did anything to scare him off.
Hopefully he stops by soon, because I've got other people asking me when it is going to be.
Remy