Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Upstate New York - Canada event information and discussion forum.

Old April 13, 2018   #1

Default My Final Grow List for 2018

Hi Friends,

It took me forever to get all the tomato seedlings I wanted. Finally got them, with a couple changes from three different retailers. Here is my list with some old standby's and a few new varieties. Any of the new varieties, or old for that matter that you would like to comment on would be most appreciated. Have a great growing season!!

Amish Paste - New
Aunt Ruby’s German Green
Black Krim
Chika - New
Green Doctors Frosted - 1
Honeybee - New
Japanese Black Trifele -2
Madame Marmande - 1 - New
Orange Paruche - 2
Sunchocola - 2
Sweet Baby Girl - 2
Sweet Treats - 2
Pineapple - New
Dr. Wyche’s - New
Cherokee Purple - New
Chocolate Sprinkles - New
Sungold
San Marzano Redorta - New
Black from Tula - New
Japanese Black Truffle - 2
Raspberry Lyanna _New 22 varieties 27 plants
Vorlon - New
Old April 13, 2018   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I am growing SunChocola now, monster producer of the most fabulous flavored dark cherries. It's going to be on my permanent list. (Thank you Barb)
If you are going to use your SanMarzanos for sauce, 2 plants is good, 3 would be even better.They produce well, but it takes a lot of fruit tormato make a quantity of sauce that makes the labor worth it. Excellent sauce, but meh taste for fresh eating.
Japanese Black Trifele was a very nice pear shaped black with green shoulders, they can get large, and are very tasty, plants are vigorous.
Old April 14, 2018   #3
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Is that the hybrid Sunchocola? Is it better than your Rebel Alliance that I am growing out this season, Marsha?
Old April 14, 2018   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Is that the hybrid Sunchocola? Is it better than your Rebel Alliance that I am growing out this season, Marsha?
Yes, the hybrid. Different. Not a multiflora, but even sweeter. No worries, RA is very delicious and quite sweet.
Old April 16, 2018   #5
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

I'd be interested to hear comparisons between Orange Paruche and the (in)famous SunGold.
Both are touted to be 'the finest cherry tomato in the world', and OrPa is supposed to be super sweet - just like SunGold.

Both are hybrids. Any special taste in OrPa, or just sweetness?

Edit. Oh, and I am reading in many reviews that it is also prone to cracking.. just like SG.
Any more similarities?
Old April 17, 2018   #6

Default Orange Paruche vs. Sungold

I grow both and when I first tried Sungold, I thought there could not be a better tasting tomato. Then I went to a tomato tasting and the owner of Tomatomania here in Los Angeles who sells thousands and thousands of seedlings of around 350 varieties said Orange Paruche in his opinion is better than Sungold. Well I was skeptical to say the least then I tried it. They are very similar, they look the same and they do split like Sungold but for pure taste, in my mouth Orange Paruche is better. It tastes to me a little bit more complex, just more interesting. Just as sweet but it has some extra element that I find more sophisticated and less kid like. You can't go wrong with either of course. I think you will enjoy comparing the two yourself.

Cheers!

Old April 17, 2018   #7
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Thank you! Appreciate your taking the time to make that analysis.
I might try OrPa some time, it sounds like a wonderful innovation. Personally I am not a fan of SG - it is good, but I can detect an artificial after taste, which is a down side in my opinion.

To each their own!
Old April 19, 2018   #8
hiker_
Tomatovillian™

I love Amish Paste and Cherokee Purple!

Amish Paste is great for slicing straight onto pizza crust, without having to make sauce. I've found it a little more susceptible to disease than others, but it kept producing anyway (with some reduction in flavor).

Cherokee Purple held up the best in my old, disease-prone garden (the area had been a potato farm, so), and, of course, it tastes great. Some people didn't want to eat it because of its unusual color, though, and I saw cracking even in self-watering containers.

Those two are on my list of faves (along with Old Brooks and Stupice).